Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Red Fueling Valve

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Red Fueling Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:35 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Red Fueling Valve

ORIGINAL: Maxdog.vf213

Yea, Im sure there in steady weather Nevada everything just runs great but here where there is actually a change in climate thats more then just hot and hotter, 4 strokes are a pain in the butt.. Is always something to screw with to get it right that day..
But atleast your open to hearing others OPINIONS.. Thought I made that pretty clear more then once in the post.. WAS MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION!

And who I hang with is none of your concern.

I'm with Grey Beard on this. I run 4 strokes for years, and seldom touch the needle valve. My climate is similar to yours. I believe that your problems lie elsewhere.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:08 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to fueling valves................ and other methods.

Making your own works for about everything. I've found that epoxying a scrap of wood to the inside of the cowl is quite simple and foolproof. Drill a couple of holes the size of your fuel tubing. With a round file or rasp, adjust the holes to grip the tubing when it's plugged with one of the "dots". Simple and works forever.

One line is for fueling/defueling. The other is overflow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63209.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1704374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65302.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1704375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12769.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1704376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87814.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1704377  
Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Maxdog.vf213
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Back to fueling valves................ and other methods.

Making your own works for about everything. I've found that epoxying a scrap of wood to the inside of the cowl is quite simple and foolproof. Drill a couple of holes the size of your fuel tubing. With a round file or rasp, adjust the holes to grip the tubing when it's plugged with one of the "dots". Simple and works forever.

One line is for fueling/defueling. The other is overflow.

Love the idea of2 dots, makes the overflow bottle alot more workable,and thanks for getting us back on track, some people cant seem to grasp that it is a personal preference and when I say is My Experience doesnt mean Iknow everything, Ihave 3 2 Stroke OS Engines and 1 TT 4 Stroke that has had to be replaced 3 times, once before it was even installed as it had alifter that wasscrewed right out of the box.

Did yo have to do anything differentto the fuel tank? How did you work thevent line with it being plugged up instead of going to the muffler?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

In time, the alcohol will deteriorate the rubber seals

Do yourself a favor, bring it back and don't bother with refueling valves. You'll find that while SOME people use them, most of us gave up on them a long time ago.

Try Fuel Dots instead
Like he said ... go with fuel dots. I still have a few planes with the kwik-fill valves and they are a PITA. The rubber O-rings dry out and need replacement every year. Sometimes the spring doesn't push the brass stopper back into place and fuel goes all over. It's a nice concept, but the kwik-fill valves don't work well after a while. They could also leak air into the fuel line and you will never know it.

Fuel dots are the answer. I switched most of my planes to fuel dots. Simple, fool-proof, and practical for all applications.

Fuel lines have different thicknesses. Dubro fuel lines are thicker than Great Planes and Sullivan. Rather than trim the fuel line, I drill out the aluminum ring just a little if the fuel line is too snug to go in.

OR-

Find a fuel line that fits the fuel dot and stick with it.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: k3 valley flyer

I use both the gas and glow Dubro Kwik-fill valves in both sizes in about 25 planes. I keep sets of rebuild kits on hand for each type that Dubro sells for a few bucks. Can replace the o-rings and spring and plunger in about 3 minutes with a t-pin. I have a friend that does it with the fueler still on the planes. Most of mine have been good for 3 to 4 years. Some say if one is sticking at the field a drop of oil in the valve may free it up enough to get by for the day. A filler with a stuck valve will let you fill the tank but won't let any fuel get to the carb when you try to start the engine. My son uses the dots and loves them. I just was never smart enough to make a 3 line tank work.
Rather than buy the rebuild kit for $3+ each. Just go to Harbor Freight and get a variety pack of O-rings for $4.60 It includes at least 10 pieces of each O-ring size. Then, you can also use the other size O-rings to rebuild your carbs.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Maxdog.vf213
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

In time, the alcohol will deteriorate the rubber seals

Do yourself a favor, bring it back and don't bother with refueling valves. You'll find that while SOME people use them, most of us gave up on them a long time ago.

Try Fuel Dots instead
Like he said ... go with fuel dots. I still have a few planes with the kwik-fill valves and they are a PITA. The rubber O-rings dry out and need replacement every year. Sometimes the spring doesn't push the brass stopper back into place and fuel goes all over. It's a nice concept, but the kwik-fill valves don't work well after a while. They could also leak air into the fuel line and you will never know it.

Fuel dots are the answer. I switched most of my planes to fuel dots. Simple, fool-proof, and practical for all applications.

Fuel lines have different thicknesses. Dubro fuel lines are thicker than Great Planes and Sullivan. Rather than trim the fuel line, I drill out the aluminum ring just a little if the fuel line is too snug to go in.

OR-

Find a fuel line that fits the fuel dot and stick with it.

Long done, Went with the fuel dot. Ijust had a question about interchanging and that was answered long ago. Iam all about anything that is the easiest. Why add work to it if ya dont have to. Yes quick fuelers are great to have when they work but fuel dots work all the time so Iwent with those..
Thanks to everyone who has answered My original question, everything is all worked out now..
Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 PM
charlie1960

Dot person myself.