Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fabric for covering...

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fabric for covering...

Old 12-16-2011, 02:20 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fabric for covering...

I purchased some fabric at the local fabric store. 100% polyester. It shrank OK with heat but every time I dope it, it sags. Should I have bought something else?

Ken
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM
huck1199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fabric for covering...

Is it dress lining?  Is it pre-shrunk?  Is it very light weight?  I have used SunLine from Joanne's with good results.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM
kenh3497

ORIGINAL: huck1199

Is it dress lining? Is it pre-shrunk? Is it very light weight? I have used SunLine from Joanne's with good results.

No idea about any of those questions????? It is white and 100% polyester. It did seem to take a lot of heat to shrink though. I'll try the SunLine. OH, I did buy it at Joanne's though. I guess I'm smarter than I thought

So am I looking for very light weight dress lining that is not preshrunk????? Sorry for being do dense!

Ken
Old 12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
huck1199

Joanne's has several lines of dress lining. You want un-shrunk, medium weight, 100% polyester. The Koverall from Sig is about the same price and is made for the purpose. Last time I went to Joanne's they did not have the SunLine brand.What they had was lighter and kind of streechy- no good.

You could use the stuff you have on sheeted surfaces - adhere it with water based poly U to avoid the dope fumes and it is cheaper.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:16 PM
kenh3497

This had just a tiny bit of stretch in it. Weight wise I can't tell you as I have nothing to compare to. Well I have the first coat of dope/talc on so I'll just forge ahead. This is not a show plane anyway , just a daily flyer. Still I wanted it to look good and it will be good enough.

It's been 20 years since I've used dope. I've forgotten half or more of what I once knew....... How did I know that if I've forgotten it?????

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM
kenh3497

I applied another coat of dope last night. This was to be the last coat before priming for paint. Low and behold there was no sagging of the covering! A light sanding and I'm ready for primer when the rest of the plane is at that point.

Maybe I just didn't have enough dope on to make it shrink properly??? In any case it turned out OK.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
cutaway

[link=http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3586-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_silk.html]Dharma Trading[/link] has 5mm Habotai silk for about $3/yd in small quantities, $2.50/yd if you buy a 50yd bolt.