Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:10 PM
katman74
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel

Some of my club members say I can run regular 15% fuel thru my saito instead of the 4 stroke blend without damage.
Any truth to this.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 01:58 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Fuel

You sure can....I do it....
Old 12-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes but look at the percent of the oil blend. I have been running Power Master for decades in my four strokes, YS and OS with a Saito or two tossed into the mix. 15% nitro and 18% blended oil. I never go below the 18% oil and I have noticed the new Power Master has a lower oil content. When all I could get was Wild Cat 15% it only had 16% blended oil. I tossed in two ounces of Klotz oil blend to make it up. I also use nothing but blended oil, I don't care for straight synthetics but other people swear by it.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
carrellh

You need to ignore the marketing terms such as super, extra, premium, four stroke blend, etc; and look at the ingredients that are listed.
Saito recommends a fuel with 20% oil content. The picture is the fuel recommendation from the manual.

You'll notice it recommends two stroke fuel, whatever that is...

Most of the people I know use fuels that contain 17% or 18% oil in all of their two and four strokes, and most do not add oil to raise the percentage. Nothing wrong with adding oil if it makes you feel better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78625.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	1703732  
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with GreyBeard, oil content is the key, preferably with castor and not synthetic. I always look for the wildcat 15% nitro 18% castor blend.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 PM
cutaway

With the very hot plugs 4-cycle engines tend to need, you may encounter predetonation problems on a hot summer day with higher nitro contents.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: biam

I agree with GreyBeard, oil content is the key, preferably with castor and not synthetic. I always look for the wildcat 15% nitro 18% castor blend.
I buy my fuel only when on sale. When Power Master was closed down for a while the WC brand was what Hobby People were selling and at that time it was only a 16% blended oil so I jacked it up a bit. The Klotz I keep on hand for my gassers has 20% castor in the blend and two ounces seemed about right. I'm still holding several gallons of both the Hobby People brand {Wild Cat} and the Power Master with 18% oil. I have used the 20/20 over the years and it's OK. 5% more nitro doesn't show up a lot in performance and the added 5% oil tends to just end up all over my planes. 15% nitro works perfectly in all the four strokes I have ever owned so it's what I use in everything. I have even used full synthetics when it came up on sale. I had no problems with it at all but I like the blended fuels too. Besides, if I don't come home with that burnt castor stench on my clothing I don't feel like I have been flying. Shades of my youth or something???
Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Been using synthectic for years. Haven't ruined an engine yet.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: macdona

Been using synthetic for years. Haven't ruined an engine yet.
I have never seen an engine harmed using full Syn either. It's just a choice thing. If it came up on sale I would have some on hand. I'm not one of those who believe that small amount of Castor is ever going to save an engine that is running lean or hot. How you tune an engine is a lot more important. I like how nice and clean running a full Syn leaves my planes. When I was running Wild Cat the first thing I noticed was the smell. It's a lot more pleasant smelling then Power Master. I'm also not brand loyal. If I can get brand X 15% for a few bucks cheaper then brand Y guess what one I buy. I even stocked up on some 20/20 PM that came up on sale. Just a choice thing. I have never seen an engine harmed with store bought fuel. I just watch out for the amount of oil content. A lot of brands don't mark the % on the label so I tend not to buy that brand.