Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why are Futaba Servos so expensive?

I am wanting to purchase some digital servos for a Mojo 60. I have a Futaba 8FG Super with a R6208SB receiver that has a high speed option for digital servos. When I look at the digital servos offered by Futaba, I am surprised that many of them are listed as not compatible with 6 V batteries (per Futaba website). Also, the price on Futaba digital servos is typically $80 per servo!!! What is up with this? Does anyone know if I can substitute a less expensive brand of digital servo (such as Spektrum, Hitec) with my Futaba R6208SB receiver?

Any help is appreciated.
    "When lift plus thrust is greater than load plus drag, anything can fly."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Why are Futaba Servos so expensive?

The receiver doesnt care what brand of servos you use, I typeiclly use Hitec as they are just as good and a bit cheaper.
    Cub brotherhood #113

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You would be fine with the cheaper hitec digi's in a mojo 60. I personally have never had a futaba servo fail me and use their expensive servos in my expensive airplanes and heli's. I have had hitecs fail though I can't say I have lost a plane because of a servo fail (yet) and I have been flying for almost 20 years.

For me it also depends on application. Is your Mojo is going to be your main airplane that you invested all your time and money into? If so why save 100 bucks on a few of servos when your investment is worth 500-600 not including time? If not and its just outfitting a throw around or training airplane then go cheap. Sheesh you can even outfit it with HK servos and I bet you would be good to go and save a ton.

Bottom line its up to you. If budget is a problem go cheap. If not go for security. Back to my first line though, I don't think you have anything to worry about by putting either hitecs or futabas in a mojo 60. Just do your homework and make sure you get something that is properly rated.

Just my 2 cents.

Harry
    I fly army UAVs and no its not like flying R/C!

Harry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With servos you get what you pay for.

Bliksem

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the Futaba 8FG radio too.... Great ain't it ??

You don't need to use the Coreless (S9000 series) servos to get digital servo performance, (coreless are "super high torque")

Here are three digitial servos from Futaba listed through Tower Hobbies... all 4.8 or 6 volt approved (see Tower's description)

Futaba S3151 Digital Sport BB Servo $25
    Futaba S3152 Servo Digital Standard High-Torque $36
    Futaba S3050 Digital Standard High Torque BB MG Servo $50

Like others have said.... just about all brands of servos will work.... for retracts I like the JR servos...

The real question should be- why is this hobby so expensive in general? Do to this fantastic economy everything has skyrocketed in price. The only thing I see coming down is the worth of the dollar.

I use JR and Hitec for servos. But for micro servos I use Futaba. Cheaper than Hitec and better than JR. I use them in my pilot busts so when I move the rudder stick the pilots head turns with the rudder on my scale WWI planes.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the Hitec HS5645 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ80&P=M and in my WW1 1/4 scales just the HS645MG http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML . Never had a problem. I did have a standard gear servo fail on the throttle of my gasser though. Since then I just use a HS645MG on the throttle as well. Hope this helps.

JEB
    Giant Scale P-47, Knight Twister, 33% BD-8, 40% Gee Bee Z, 25% Dr1, 25% Clip Wing Cub, #45 Bud Nosen 310 Club

I have never had a Futaba servo fail, and about 3/4 of all my servos are Futaba. On the other hand, I have had two Hitecs and one FMA fail, and they make up a much smaller proportion of my servo population. I now try to only use Futabas on critical surfaces like the elevator.
    Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use Hitec and JR servos, never had a servo fail. Shop around for things. Sites like Servo City are always having a sale. When a new model of servo is available the servos they are replacing come up on sale for about 1/2 price. Once in a while Hobby Horce RC has a sale too. Prices arre often cheaper from place to place too.It pays to shop around.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

I first started using Futaba servos back in the late '80s. I have about 30 S148 servos I bought in the late '80s and early '90s. All are still working and have never failed. Futaba still makes and markets the S148 servo. Today I use S148, S3004, S3010, and S9001 servos based on the application. I fly 40-120 size glow scale and sport planes and always use the S148 servos on throttle. The high speed mode on the Futaba 8 channel receivers (which requires digital servos) is for 3D helis and is of no value on any type of plane per Futaba tech support. Digital servos are of value on 3D planes and those requiring high holding power or very fast response. The down side is that they consume more current and give shorter flight times than analog servos. I have never needed the performance of a digital servo and therefore use only analog servos. BTW, I have 2 Futaba 8FG systems and love them.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I have never had a Futaba servo fail, and about 3/4 of all my servos are Futaba. On the other hand, I have had two Hitecs and one FMA fail, and they make up a much smaller proportion of my servo population. I now try to only use Futabas on critical surfaces like the elevator.

I guess you aren't a member of my club? In 8 years I've seen about 5 occasions of the newer Futaba Servos having issues at the field. One time it was from that RTF electric GreatPlanes Uglystick. They came stock with Futaba Servos, and one came with that plane defected.

I have not seen any brand that had 0 defects. If it's man made, anything can or will go wrong. I guess it always depends what kind of servo people use. I've had fantastic JR, Futaba and Hitec. I also have a few Airtronics Servos that are good as well. The only servos I don't trust is the E-flite Micro Servos. I had 2 of them prematurely burn out on me, and all they did was turn a pilot bust head when I kicked the rudder. [:@]

I like the Digital JR, Futaba, Hitec Servo's. Sure they are expensive, but man are they worth it! But for a standard servo, most brands are very good. IMPO

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba servos are expensive because they have "Futaba" written on them. Unlike some things, though, paying the extra for Futaba is worth it.
    Tarasdad
    Club Saito #680; Saito FA91 (2), FA80; Fox .50, .25, .19; Apprentice; Tiger 60, Sup. Chipmunk; Spirit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, you get what you pay for. I have some high end Hitec servos and don't like them - don't center as well as the other brands, hunt around for center, make lots of noise, etc.

Futaba makes a dynamite servo, so does JR. Still getting a feel for my Airtronics servos - quiet and smooth, but curious about reliability right now.

For budget servos, Hobbico sells digital servos that are re-branded Hitec and Futaba - you can tell by the color of the wires which brand you're getting. I just ordered a set for my little Bonanza (not concerned with centering as much so don't mind the Hitecs here).
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I agree, you get what you pay for. I have some high end Hitec servos and don't like them - don't center as well as the other brands, hunt around for center
    +1

a great many people get away with off brand and HiTec servos because they can't 'Feel the difference' so JR and Futaba servos aren't a value to them. i can fly someone elses plane and tell you if it has a JR/Futaba or some other brand servo installed by the way it flies and responds to control inputs.

for those who fly HiTec and think they are great, take one of your planes that you have a lot of time on, swap the servos out for any JR/Futaba equivalent, and fly it again.....you'll be shocked at how much difference there is and how locked in it becomes.
    Morgan Fuels / JetCat / KingTech

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

The receiver doesnt care what brand of servos you use, I typeiclly use Hitec as they are just as good and a bit cheaper.
    for budget servos and eco digitals hitec... for high end digitals futaba , much more smoother
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Servos' are like everything else you buy. They are rated at; good, better and best. HiTech is the servo of choice due to there reliability and cost however things are changing with these servos recently. It appears IMO that HiTech is outsourcing their component manufacture and certain model servos are failing at a high rate. Before you purchase a servo do a comparrision check provided by RCUniverse and see how the different manufactures compare with oneanother. Like others have said don't go cheap with your major investment which is your airplane.

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Futaba servos are expensive because they have "Futaba" written on them. "

Just like Mercedes is really just a ford with Mercedes written on it.:-))))))))))

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Futaba and JR are the leaders in R&D other manufactures just copy them with cheaper components.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I buy Hitec  for the price . And ,Yes I get a bad one every now and than. 
    Than I send it to get repaired for free, except for the price of shipping.
     And Kick my self for not buying  Futaba.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

"Futaba servos are expensive because they have "Futaba" written on them. "

Just like Mercedes is really just a ford with Mercedes written on it.:-))))))))))

Les
    Why bad mouth Ford?

I will know this spring if the case is true between lessor servos and Futaba. Iwill fly my T-34 with the stock eflite servos and then switch them out with S3010 servos and see if that holds true. Ican tell you the servos in myApprentice arent the greatest, the rudder servo is weak and doesn't center. It is a standard size, the elevator servo is a mini, and it works fine, the dual aileron servos seem to be OK but a little slow, they are mini's too.

SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Why bad mouth Ford?"

Used to run 460's for our travel trailer tow; got my first 454 and never turned back:-))))))))))))

Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll put the V6 Eco Boost up against any new GM V8.  Oh wait, already done, I think the gm is still trying to make it up that hill. LOL
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go American     Toyota  Tundra!  made in Indiana.  And never Have a repair bill.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hahahahahahaha Thanks, I needed a good laugh! ROFL. When Toyota can pull a 21000 pound trailer, Imight, and I use that very loosely, might, consider one. Just so this doesnt degenerate into something else, Iapologize to the OP for hijacking the thread.

In my garage is a 1999 F350 Dually crew cab diesel, one of the biggest pickups you can buy, even today, that can legally have a B plate. It has been a good truck for me, so Im partial to Ford, all my cars are Fords and not one of them has ever given me trouble.

OTOH my father in law has a Mercedes, and he has spent enough on repairs that he could have bought a Ford! LOL In fact one night I had to go and rescue them when the car broke down. Istill razz him about it.

SO that is why Icommented on the reference earlier in this thread, I thought it was funny.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24