Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Do You Still Range Check Your Radios??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
56.94%
NEVER
7.93%
Some Time
30.03%
After a Crash
1.98%
After a Repair
3.12%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Still Range Check Your Radios??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do You Still Range Check Your Radios??

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: flycatch
......... You talk about the ignorance of people but name one book or publication that showed and explained proper installation of the electronics.
the manual that came with every JR receiver i own has an installation section, a standard range testing section as well as an advanced range testing section

my way of thinking (and I'd venture to say most radio manufactures) is it 'should be' common sense on installations and that you don't strap your receiver to your ignition module, cut the antenna, zip tie the antenna to your ECU or fuel pump, build a carbon fiber equipment tray around the receiver, etc........ but i've seen all those done so i guess that tosses out common sense. i don't think it's practical for any MFG to publish an installation guide for every possible scenario, they rely on the end user having the ability to think for themselves and that's proving to be the problem and there is no cure for it.
Thanks for the interesting read,you too speedracer and others here as well.My understanding of electronics is limited so i study what is written carefully in an effort to avoid doing silly things re installation and generally looking after it from that point on.What i observe at our field is that most "technical issues" look like flat rx packs when you put a meter on the post crash pack..and even a few pre flight packs! not to forget all the other dumb things we humans seem to inflict on otherwise good equipment.The interesting things that happen on a typical flying sunday keep lots of people entertained,it's a great hobby! cheers
Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will NEVER catch a problem if you DON'T look for it. You MIGHT catch a problem if you DO look for it.

Range check first. Then...

Up elevator, down elevator.
Left aileron direction, right aileron direction.
Left rudder, right rudder.
Throttle up and fly away.....

The Pamster
Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: flycatch
......... You talk about the ignorance of people but name one book or publication that showed and explained proper installation of the electronics.
the manual that came with every JR receiver i own has an installation section, a standard range testing section as well as an advanced range testing section

my way of thinking (and I'd venture to say most radio manufactures) is it 'should be' common sense on installations and that you don't strap your receiver to your ignition module, cut the antenna, zip tie the antenna to your ECU or fuel pump, build a carbon fiber equipment tray around the receiver, etc........ but i've seen all those done so i guess that tosses out common sense. i don't think it's practical for any MFG to publish an installation guide for every possible scenario, they rely on the end user having the ability to think for themselves and that's proving to be the problem and there is no cure for it.
Thanks for the interesting read,you too speedracer and others here as well.My understanding of electronics is limited so i study what is written carefully in an effort to avoid doing silly things re installation and generally looking after it from that point on.What i observe at our field is that most "technical issues" look like flat rx packs when you put a meter on the post crash pack..and even a few pre flight packs! not to forget all the other dumb things we humans seem to inflict on otherwise good equipment.The interesting things that happen on a typical flying sunday keep lots of people entertained,it's a great hobby! cheers
I have parsonally seen 10 2.4 Spectrum equipped planes bite the dirt for no explained reason in the last 4 weeks ... One was a JR 2.4 using a Spectrum receiver ... the last one was a brand new plane with what I'd call a rotten radio instlation the receiver and the remote receiver had all wiskers in the same plane and the main receiver was loose and lying on a pile of servo wires and the remote receiver was mayby 2 inches away. Well I said something and was told that he had the radio for 2 years and never had a glitch. Well he was flying it around the pattern and it was comming toward him and just dove into the far end of the runway for no apperent reason ... Go figure. Neverdid he even attempt to do a range check ...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
HunkaJunk

Yes, I perform a standard range check before the first flight of the day on whatever models I have brought to the field.  I follow the JR 2.4 GHZ  range check instructions.

On a new setup I will take the range check to it's limit with the range check button depressed, which is always considerably farther than the range check instructions,  the distance is always far enough that I need someone to monitor the model and we communicate with hand signals.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

I range check whenever I have done anything that would affect the RF link.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Pete, I can't come to any other conclusion other then you are mis informed.
Really? I'm sure there are a lot of other conclusions a person could come to about him, but they wouldn't be as kind as "mis informed". [:'(]
Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM
outflying
My Feedback: (2)

Gentlemen!
Whatever the mode of transmitting your signal to your aircraft, a range check should be a common routine. Safety is everyone that flies responsibility.
As for which is better 72 or 2.4, I feel it's a personal preference.
When I got into giant scale I was using a 3.2 Sach on a Weeks Special. It was the first giant scale in our club and there were several members that thought that size plane, with that much engine was very noisey and dangerous. After a number of noise decimal test, my engine was found to be quiter than most .60 engines. I flew that plane well over 300 flights with no mishaps (I later sold it, regreted it and build another one that I fly till this day on a G62). Most enjoyed watching it fly and slowly others started to build larger planes in our club.
So whatever you fly, remember it's still being guided by a radio signal. That in itself, make R/C flying very susceptible to mishaps. So safety should be practiced at all cost. We owe it to the hobby and those spectactors that enjoy watching us fly. After all, this is suppose to be fun. Injuries and crashes, to me, is certainly not having FUN.

Keep flying, have fun and enjoy life.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

So who needs a club that allows only 2.4? Sounds close to discrimination to me. Maybe some can't afford to change to 2.4. Can get expensive for a few. Why punish those that can't or do not choose to bow down to the so called new technology? My 2 cents worth. AM is looking better all the time. They still work.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike31

So who needs a club that allows only 2.4? Sounds close to discrimination to me. Maybe some can't afford to change to 2.4. Can get expensive for a few. Why punish those that can't or do not choose to bow down to the so called new technology? My 2 cents worth. AM is looking better all the time. They still work.

Mike, nobody said anything about a " Club " banning 72mhz. What was said that many competitions are asking for 2.4 only. It makes for a better event, imagine holding a race where the two fastest guys show up on the same frequency. We miss a great heat of racing. How about a pattern contest where someone has to wait for the frequency to be clear and it holds up the whole contest for 20 min. Worse yet, one practices for months, travels a couple states to compete in a regionals or nationals and accidentally gets shot down by someone whom in the excitement of everything turns on his TX without the pin. I have seen that happen twice! Now before you throw in the unfair card here remember we are talking about competitive pilots here so the odds are 99% that they are already on 2.4 because they want the additional performance and reliability.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So who needs a club that allows only 2.4? Sounds close to discrimination to me.

Picture this situation a group of small electric flyers who are using a hodge podge of radio equipment including 2.4 and 72 setup camp in the open desert seven tenths of a mile away and openly fly whatever with no regard for frequency control, Indeed they have caused a number of crashes.

Most all in our club of around forty members have abandoned 72 completely as a result of this, Yes it happened to us and rather than start open wars or abandon our beautiful field of many years we choose to use 2.4.

John
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Mike, nobody said anything about a " Club " banning 72mhz. What was said that many competitions are asking for 2.4 only. It makes for a better event, imagine holding a race where the two fastest guys show up on the same frequency. We miss a great heat of racing. How about a pattern contest where someone has to wait for the frequency to be clear and it holds up the whole contest for 20 min. Worse yet, one practices for months, travels a couple states to compete in a regionals or nationals and accidentally gets shot down by someone whom in the excitement of everything turns on his TX without the pin. I have seen that happen twice! Now before you throw in the unfair card here remember we are talking about competitive pilots here so the odds are 99% that they are already on 2.4 because they want the additional performance and reliability.

Where have U been for the last 60 years .... that was the Norm ... Remember when we had a differant transmitter for each plane .... If U need 2.4 and model match to keep from having to think before turning on, then something is wrong. Then maybe U should look into a sail boat and a lawn chair.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

........If U need 2.4 and model match to keep from having to think before turning on, then something is wrong. Then maybe U should look into a sail boat and a lawn chair.

I have 2.4 more for the benefit of the idiot with the $100 foam plane who doesn't have the common sense to not turn his transmitter on when someone else has the pin and is flying, had i been shot down again I'd of likely caused grave danger to the nitwit and he'd of had a hell of a time with even a sail boat. if all i flew were small glow type setups the transition to 2.4 might not have been such a no brainer decision but for me it was the only way to go.

you have no control over the idiots of the world, i see it EVERY day just driving down the road, i bought 2.4 to save my jets at the airfield, i bought a truck to save my family on the road.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:10 AM
rolsen12

IT,S A WASTE OF TIME.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 AM
Rudolph Hart

Hell no!!@ i'm breaking out the popcorn and soda..can't wait to see what LIFER thinks about mike31 and houndogs comments,c'mon mate you must be here somewhere
Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

regrettably I have to confess that since I have gone to 2.4 I dont check fequency..the only frequency issues I ever had was with older spectrum crap! once I went back to futaba I have never had a concern or single incident.In defense however Iused to range check religiously my 72 fm radios.and checked my batteries nearly every flight.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do I range-check my radio? Yes. Every time I go to the field, I walk at least 50 feet away from my radio to make sure I can still see it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Do I range-check my radio? Yes. Every time I go to the field, I walk at least 50 feet away from my radio to make sure I can still see it.

That's the funniest thing I've ever read on RCU!!!!! Can't stop laughing!!!! But it's not a bad test. If you can't see your radio from 50 feet away then you should probably go home, rest, eat some fruit, get a foot massage, stretch, take a pill, listen to New Age music, watch Jeopardy.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Once in awhile I'll take a plane that is running at full throttle with the radio on and just go for a walk away from the transmitter. What I'm looking for are any twitches from the model while everything should be dead still. I normally don't fly any further out than 1000 feet, or what amounts to about a 3 minute walk.
What I have been able to detect doing this is a cracked circuit board trace on the main power bus in a receiver and also confirmed a "no fly zone" in the extreme end of one field where a strong radio signal of some kind was suspected of causing problems.
I think checking the equipment while the engine is running is a good way to go.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

I have become lax on range checking on the 2.4 gh but on the old 72 mhg I check the first flight of the day every day. However, what I have found is to check batteries before each and every flight during the day. I also do a preflight run-up check before each take off. I lost one bird by not checking batteries before flight. Also seen several birds lost because not doing the standard pre-flight control check before take off. Learned that from full scale jocking.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your reply was to the point and I'll guess your an "old fart" like myself. When I flew on 72mhz PPM I always did a range check but since changing over to PCM it is only done prior to a maiden flight of a new airframe. I have been flying R/C for over twenty years and have lost only two airframes due to electronics but I'm not going to say they were casuded by radio interference.