Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Colored Impaired Vision - Covering Options

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Colored Impaired Vision - Covering Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colored Impaired Vision - Covering Options

In addition to CRS, I suffer from CIV - Color Impaired Vision - affecting primarily red, green, purple, orange, and brown. As a result, I've had to recover allof myairplanes in white, and then add large decals to the wing bottoms so as toknow their attitude. That worksgreat oneveryday flying planes that are notscale or require looking pretty.

HOWEVER,

I amrestoring a Pica Waco 1/5 Scale Bipe - and want to know what color schemes others might suggest (given the circumstances). White is fine, but hoping to hear what others have done.

Appreciate your help - thank you.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Colored Impaired Vision - Covering Options

My 1/3 Waco is blue and white, the wings have a scallop pattern and fuse is white when viewed from the top and blue when viewed from the bottom. It is a scale paint job of an original YMF-5 made in 1935.
The blue is insignia blue.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19616.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1709839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46516.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1709840  
Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Hi, me too. Blue-yellow and one eye has red-green problems as well as the blue-yellow ones. So red berries on a green bush look fake 3D to me like they are floating in front of the bush. When a yellow cub is far away I can't tell if it's yellow or white.

Find what colors work for you and stick with those. Also Using "N" numbers on the upper side of the right wing helps too. Just put it on the top. If you do top and bottom then it wont help you tell if the plane is turning into or away from you. If you have red-green problems stay away from red leading edges on the wings. When the plane goes under the tree line you will lose the wing.

Look at the Ryan. It's a red plane but when your landing you see mostly a white nose and white wing. So if you have trouble with red you could still have a red plane with strategically placed color trim.

Name:	Ax72849.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1709841  
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a flying Star that goes completely " STELTH " ( ?? sp ) when in the air. I've tried all kinds of colors and designs but it is still a real job keeping track of it. I finally got some plastic ribbon ( caution tape ) and made streamers behind the Star so I could sort of keep tract of it. At least now I can tell which way it's going , can't tell up from down always. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 AM
AmishWarlord

On glow power if you run alot oil you can get a helpful vapor trail.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
MinnSpin

Here is my current color scheme..........but it's old monochote and rather ugly.

Name:	Sq46791.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1710041  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 AM
AmishWarlord

Looks good. Just go darker on the bottom side and either leave the under side of the wings blank or something not even close looking to those /\ on the wing tops.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no true color perception. On my sport planes I have come up with a lot of patterns I can see well. Any contrasting colors work but I see yellow better then any other color. I can also see a plane covered in Solartex better then a plastic covering. It doesn't flash in bright light. I trained myself to look for different things on a plane during flight like the landing gear. I have no problems with scale planes as long as I fly them scale. Example is my old Tiger Moth. It stunted very well but it didn't jink around like a sport plane. The roll rate didn't look like a drill bit spinning.
By doing a google you will find a lot of the full scale planes to choose from. My Moth was just blue and white, never posed a problem. I also fly them in a bit closer then I used to.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine was red/green/brown impaired. When he was a kid, and before he was tested, he always ended up picking orange and creme or orange and tan for his planes. He always said he liked them the best. After he was tested, it made sense, it was what he could see the best, he just didn't realize it.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
AmishWarlord

Here is a black and white of the TopFlite Monocoat trim chart.

Name:	Sq47403.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1710126  
Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM
AmishWarlord

This one looks great even useing just grays
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
MinnSpin

That's quite a tool.
May I ask where you happened upon it?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 AM
AmishWarlord

Tower has them for $3.00

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJA14&P=7
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Lnewqban

This article may help you:

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/colors1.htm
Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with scale is most planes, like the Waco, are going to be symmetrical top to bottom which makes it hard for people with good color vision to see. My Jungmietser has to be watched like a hawk as top and bottom are identical. Not a big deal staying straight and level, but aerobatics you just have to watch it every inch.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My color impairment is moderate to severe. On a twenty one splotch color test, I could identify seven unique colors with most males able to identify fifteen or more.

I don't consider the impairment much of a problem with flying RC. The scheme that works best is black, white and yellow combined. My visual perspective is mostly about the contrast between light and dark and black and white provide the best of that.

As others have noted, other things besides color are used to aid in determining flight perspective. Mostly it is about staying in tune with what the plane is doing but of course there are the occasions that perspective is lost and must be regained. I don't use color to do that but rather rely on shape and and plane response.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting question to bring to the table but I don't no why this is a problem based upon your posted profile. You have over 33 years fixed wing experience and at distance colors go black. Visual feedback is based less on color than orientation of the airframe in flight. So what is relly going on?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6% of male population has colour deficiency. To have a difference between the eyes suggests some pathology in one eye only from the optical chiasm foward and should be evaluated by a knowlegeable expert (like me!) There might be one person in this world who has true black and white vision- this is an extremely rare condition. Vision is a 'relative' pychological phenomenon so color vision really makes no impact on how you perceive your airplane because the vision you have- always was and always will be (hopefully) the same. You have learned, since infancy, how to perceive your visual world. It's a personal experience that is from within and you have never known differently. It's only when you 'compare notes' with others or you have suffered some catastrophe to your visual sense that differences are elucidated. Contrast is what you desire when painting your aircraft. Colors don't make any difference so long as the contrast you perceive is what makes them more visible. It's a personal experience that no one formula can 'cure'! Interesting stuff, the visual system!!! $0.05, please... next!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks' for the lesson however you missed the point of my inquiry.