Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Those pesky paypal fees

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Those pesky paypal fees

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Those pesky paypal fees

LOL

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Warbirdguy

One more thing Smithcreek, Im 53 years old, I have my own paypal account and both my sons have no idea how to use paypal. Oldest is 33 youngest is 21 in college and a biology student. I couldnt give a s*** about the last 40 years. Cash is king but if you dont want to pay that way I will accept any form of payment. But I wait till a personal check clears my bank cause there are still scumbags out there that feel like they need to screw people out of what they worked hard for. Im also old enough to have patience, even though you, with your words, are wearing mine thin

When I was in college, my Trig professor came in on the first day and wrote this on the board. I will keep this with me all my life.

Never Assume Anything, cause it will make an Ass out of U and Me.

You assume way too much Mr. Smithcreek

WBG
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Ebay, I rarely buy from them and never sell from them. There are other venues to sell from that don't have the convoluted jacked up fee's they charge. There was a time when I would NOT have used Paypal because of security concerns, etc.. Nowadays I use Paypal quite a bit, mostly to purchase an item. Typically because I prefer to pay 'cash' instead of CC and not take the interest hit. That said, 50% purchases are individual sellers who don't have merchant accounts to take CC's, so it works well for both. The remainder may take CC's, but again I prefer to pay upfront and be done with it. In that regard I have Paypals CC which I can use in conjunction, but I strongly recommend against their card simply because of their interest rate. Its hooked in with GE Capital so that should be the first warning. If I'm SELLING, which is not often, I'll still use paypal if thats what the buyer wants, and have no 'problem' with it, tho I don't like having to wait a couple days for the funds to be released. Basically, at the end of the day, I'll accomodate whatever means the seller wants to use if I want it bad enough.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

One more thing Smithcreek, Im 53 years old, I have my own paypal account and both my sons have no idea how to use paypal. Oldest is 33 youngest is 21 in college and a biology student. I couldnt give a s*** about the last 40 years. Cash is king but if you dont want to pay that way I will accept any form of payment. But I wait till a personal check clears my bank cause there are still scumbags out there that feel like they need to screw people out of what they worked hard for. Im also old enough to have patience, even though you, with your words, are wearing mine thin

When I was in college, my Trig professor came in on the first day and wrote this on the board. I will keep this with me all my life.

Never Assume Anything, cause it will make an Ass out of U and Me.

You assume way too much Mr. Smithcreek

WBG
Interesting post. No idea what bug got up your butt, but always good to see someone get all hot and bothered. My whole point was DON'T ASSUME you know why someone accepts or doesn't accept paypal. DON'T ASSUME you know why someone has 300 kits in their attic. I simply gave a couple examples of why someone might do what they do, and explicitly stated "Who Knows?" I just thought of a few off the top of my head, but if it makes you feel better we can add "doesn't want to accept paypal because he's a kid without a bank account and would have to run it through dad's paypal account." What exactly is it you ASSUME I was assuming? I guess in that college Trig class they focused on math and not reading comprehension!

By the way, that "Never Assume Anything" thing, back in college, when you packed your books and headed to class, did you assume it was still in the same room as last time? When you get out of bed do you assume the sun will rise, your car will start, your place of work will still be there, etc.? I'd love to know how a person could possibly get by in life without assuming.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

[/quote]

I think there are a lot of sellers who would rather not take paypal at all, but to say that they're doing the buyer a service when they do use paypal is almost laughable.
[/quote]

I never said they were doing other people a service, I only pointed out that that's how most people that ask for paypal fees feel. The fact that you think it's "laughable" though only reinforces what I said before about not being able to see things from someone else's point of view.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

I think there are a lot of sellers who would rather not take paypal at all, but to say that they're doing the buyer a service when they do use paypal is almost laughable.
I never said they were doing other people a service, I only pointed out that that's how most people that ask for paypal fees feel. The fact that you think it's ''laughable'' though only reinforces what I said before about not being able to see things from someone else's point of view.
I understood exactly what you meant. My comment wasn't worded the best, but it was aimed at those that have that mentality. It's not hard to see from their point of view, but it still doesn't make their thought process any less flawed.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

OK.....Would most people agree that most items on RCU, Bay or any other advertising agent, that those items listed for sale(Not Auction) don't sell at full price, or the reserve price in an auction, unless properly priced at market price or a heck of a deal? If so, in these negotiations, you may end up with a negotiated price at 10%-30% or more off! So, it is ok to come down on your price certain % to the buyer, and not be grateful that he bought your item that was over priced? , usually pays with in 24 hours using PayPal. At the new negotiated price, this is when you should give the 3% off to the "Cash Buyer", but will you? No! You won't pay the 3% to close the deal, but you will take a large percentage off of the initial asking price? This is just IMHO..........doesn't compute? Sales has always been a mental game, from the first time you negotiated your first car or other items. So, all in how you look at it.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
huck1199

I bought an item on Ebay for $134 plus $10 shipping. Paid with PayPal. Item was defective and seller said to return it for a full refund plus shipping cost.  He reversed the $143 charge and then did another transfer for $15 for my shipping return cost. PayPal is holding that $15 for a month as well as deducting a $.76 service fee.  The excuse is to prevent fraud.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

huck1199

I bought an item on Ebay for $134 plus $10 shipping. Paid with PayPal. Item was defective and seller said to return it for a full refund plus shipping cost. He reversed the $143 charge and then did another transfer for $15 for my shipping return cost. PayPal is holding that $15 for a month as well as deducting a $.76 service fee. The excuse is to prevent fraud.

See that is exactly what I was refering to in my first post. Why they have to hold your money for 1 month? Is it to collect interest in their bank? The credit card companies refund your money inmediatly, Walmart and other retail stores also.
They are just unfair.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I think it must depend on how you have your account "backed up", mine is backed up with a Credit Card,, I've never had them hold funds on me in 10+? years of using paypal
Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
huck1199

I have it backed with a credit card and a bank savings account; both certified.

My son sells high end muscle car parts and he has run into a $500/mo limit on withdrawals.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
lopflyers

$500/month. Bull$;&?, are they giving him an allowance. It is his hard earn money for crying outloud
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Wingdinger2

ORIGINAL: big max 1935

Pretty hard to add it on with a auction item . What gets my goat is ebays over 9% they now add on the shipping charges . A lot of buyers don't have a clue what it costs to sell on ebay . Listing fee, picture fee,final value fee, pay pal fee & now the shipping fee %.Next they will probably put a buyers fee on the item like the big car & auction houses do. All it takes is a couple of feedbacks that are not 5 star & they pull your top rated statis & you lose the discount you used to get. I lost mine because I added the % on shipping in the shipping charge & some one didn't like it . The buyer only pays it once, if I didn't it would be on me for every sale & that adds up.Ebay is NOT for the seller & with out them they don't seem to realize that there would be NO buyers . Thanks I needed to get this off my chest. Big Max 1935
Fully agree... FeeBay sucks...
Old 01-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: huck1199

My son sells high end muscle car parts and he has run into a $500/mo limit on withdrawals .
I believe paypal was hit with a class action lawsuit some time ago due to the "limit" they placed on how much of your money you are entitled to withdraw each month. I seem to remember they lost.

So, they are up to their old tricks again?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 PM
rcfunflyer
My Feedback: (72)

I remember when I first started using paypal it was FREE and they had banners on their site that said "always free". So much for that! [:@]
Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
huck1199

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

My son sells high end muscle car parts and he has run into a $500/mo limit on withdrawals.
I believe paypal was hit with a class action lawsuit some time ago due to the "limit" they placed on how much of your money you are entitled to withdraw each month. I seem to remember they lost.

This was a few months ago he encountered the limit; maybe it is changed now.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

A+++ for your Post.
Here's the deal.
Sellers, you will pay Paypal 3% for a Transaction Fee. Accept that agreement when you sign up.They accept payments to you and automatically transfer those fees aquired to your personal Bank Account or whatever method you have chosen. They also Xfer payments to your Bank Acount or Creit Card Account.

Buyers are Secured with thier PalPal payments. if something is wrong, call them.

Sellers: For intance, you want to sell something fo X amount of dollars. Will you reject an offer less than your asking pricebecauese of the 3% additional Paypal fees? First of all, you are trying to sell something you do not need or want. Would you reject a buyer over a minimal 3% fee? You will loose that transaction, and there ya go. Back on the Market again for 2 or 3 bucks? I don't get it. You place the ad, to sell it, so not why sell it? Either except the buyers offer of reject it for some other reason.
Loosing a sale on somethig you are selling andwant a 3% fee for more? That isBad Business in a sellers market.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

I think what Im gonna do is this. Im gonna take the paypal fee requirement out of my payment terms. When I sell something, I will just add the fee to the shipping charges You guys will think you pulled a fast one over on me and everyone is happy
I'm amazed this thought took so long to show up in the thread.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

This was a few months ago he encountered the limit; maybe it is changed now.
The withdrawl limit is for unverified accounts. Lifting the limit by verifying the account is simple.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

A+++ for your Post.
Here's the deal.
Sellers, you will pay Paypal 3% for a Transaction Fee. Accept that agreement when you sign up. They accept payments to you and automatically transfer those fees aquired to your personal Bank Account or whatever method you have chosen. They also Xfer payments to your Bank Acount or Creit Card Account.

Buyers are Secured with thier PalPal payments. if something is wrong, call them.

Sellers: For intance, you want to sell something fo X amount of dollars. Will you reject an offer less than your asking price becauese of the 3% additional Paypal fees? First of all, you are trying to sell something you do not need or want. Would you reject a buyer over a minimal 3% fee? You will loose that transaction, and there ya go. Back on the Market again for 2 or 3 bucks? I don't get it. You place the ad, to sell it, so not why sell it? Either except the buyers offer of reject it for some other reason.
Loosing a sale on somethig you are selling and want a 3% fee for more? That is Bad Business in a sellers market.
Thanks!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
planedriver_2

PayPal fees are 2.9% Plus .30 cents per transaction. Not that 1/10 of a percent means much when you sell something for 10 or 15 bucks. If it's a 1000 bucks, well that's a bit different. But Facts are facts. I'm trying to see if it helps sell my items today !!! No PayPal Fee.I will chock it up to what you all call the price of doing business.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
planedriver_2

ORIGINAL: rcfunflyer

I remember when I first started using paypal it was FREE and they had banners on their site that said ''always free''. So much for that! [:@]
But then came Ad Blocker Software...........He he so much for that working.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

It cost 13% to sell on ebay and take paypal, and worth every penny. Paypal has saved me $600 by paying out of their pocket for sellers who riped me off.

if you add "...add 3% for paypal fees" in the ad I will shop some where else!

Paypal and Ebay are in the business to make money, if you do not like that, shop with someone else!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

A+++ for your Post.
Here's the deal.
Sellers, you will pay Paypal 3% for a Transaction Fee. Accept that agreement when you sign up. They accept payments to you and automatically transfer those fees aquired to your personal Bank Account or whatever method you have chosen. They also Xfer payments to your Bank Acount or Creit Card Account.

Sellers: For intance, you want to sell something fo X amount of dollars. Will you reject an offer less than your asking price becauese of the 3% additional Paypal fees? First of all, you are trying to sell something you do not need or want. Would you reject a buyer over a minimal 3% fee? You will loose that transaction, and there ya go. Back on the Market again for 2 or 3 bucks? I don't get it. You place the ad, to sell it, so not why sell it? Either except the buyers offer of reject it for some other reason.
Loosing a sale on somethig you are selling and want a 3% fee for more? That is Bad Business in a sellers market.

Your my kind of consumer!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Instead of Paypal you can also use a cool service called Square up if you have a smart phone, then you can take credit cards directly. Convenient, but oops! Seller pays 3% on those transactions as well. They will even send you a tiny card reader for free. I use it all... every avenue available to get the money

I used to sell most of my products on ebay, but I eventually started my own web site & still use Paypal for processing. Nothing against ebay at all, it just saved me money as a small retailer of a niche product with a razor-thin margin. Fees do add up if you are running a business through ebay, but there are pluses, too. I used to pay $64 a month for my ebay store plus commissions, now I pay $6.99 for web space. No more commissions to ebay, but oops again! Now I am a web site administrator! Not a small task and a fairly large time committment... something people don't have to worry about on ebay.

Ebay provides us with a forum to conduct business, a means to transfer funds, and a huge customer base. People who are there with the sole intent of buying. That has a value too. Just something to think about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.