Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

2 or 3 blade prop?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2 or 3 blade prop?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
handyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 or 3 blade prop?

doing a gasser.....spe26cc want to use a 3 blade,,,,,,,,,,,,other than 3 blades look cool, is there a reason to try one,,,,,also how do you size a 3 blade as to a 2 blade........thanks for any help
Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 2 or 3 blade prop?

Down one size in length and up one size in pitch. The only reason besides the cool factor to go to 3 is ground clearence. You will also notice on landing the plane will slow down faster, almost like having air breaks. Some people like this feature. I have a couple of 3 blades and I like to fool around with them but I get better performance with a two blade.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zinger has some guidelines http://www.zingerpropeller.com/_2_blade_.htm that will give a starting point for experimenting.

Most prop makers have a very limited selection of three or four blade props so you typically have to settle for what's available and hope it works.

Zinger has a modular system where you swap blades for almost any size and pitch. They are expensive and I do not know anyone who has been willing to spend the cash to try them.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

A 3 blade will also run quieter and you loose about 10% thrust. Master Airscrew makes a 15X7 that should work