Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

cut engine on a transmitter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

cut engine on a transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut engine on a transmitter

I have a Aurora 9 radio and trying to activate switch A (on/off) to kill my DLE 30 Gas engine. Anyone know how to do this
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: cut engine on a transmitter

Kill by closing the throttle, choke or optical kill switch?

If by throttle, you can try a Pmix Throt to throt set offset to close carb, assign mix switch to switch A
Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

The Aurora 9 has a throttle cut function. Use that and choose any switch that you'd like.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my Futaba 9-C I use a three way switch and have it set for high throttle for starting and in flight, center is low for landing and idling in the pits then down closes the throttle.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 AM
dignlivn

Not sure about Hitec,

On my Futaba 7c I have the throttle cut assigned
to my trainer switch. Only works at low throttle, to
prevent accidental engine kill.

Bob
Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Going to setup something like that on my 8FGS.  I like the idea of using the 3 pos switch, I was just thinking of using a switch to kill the ign.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: acdii

Going to setup something like that on my 8FGS. I like the idea of using the 3 pos switch, I was just thinking of using a switch to kill the ign.
I have seen people set up a servo to the ignition switch in days gone by but if that is what you are after then these days we have much better gear. The optical kill switch is the easy way to do it. With the OKS if your throttle arm comes loose and your engine goes to full throttle you can kill the negine with your radio. There are a lot of ways to do the same thing but as times change there are often easier or better ways to do something. I don't feel the OKS is a must have item but I do like them and think they are a good idea. For glow engines I like my three way switch set up.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
acdii

Hopefully picking up a kill switch this weekend provided the guy I got stuff from at the other swap meet is there. He said he would be, so if he is he should have what I need.  I was thinking I could set up a 3 pos switch for choke and kill, flip forward to choke, middle neutral and flip back to kill.  Since I have something like 8 switches on this radio I can use another 2 pos for high and low idle.  I dont have flaps or gear or anything else on this plane so I have all these switches with nothing to do but rest my fingers on. 

Now if I can just figure out the radio I would be happy. It took me 2 hours of fiddlin just to get the flaps and gear on the correct switches for the P-51, and unbind the flap servo from the throttle.  It was weird, but the stock setting has the throttle and port 6 bound, but opposite of each other. I would throttle up one servo and the other would go the other direction.  The DX6i screen is much easier to navigate than the Futaba one. 
Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Oberst
Banned

Me I just have the regular 6 channel JR sport SX600 72mHz and I hit the button on the upper right that's linked to my throttle servo. All I have to do is adjust the travel and trim. Simple is nice in my book. I liked the radio so much I bought 2 of them. It's funny because I'm starting to see people buy these new radios with all the bells and whistles and they don't have a clue on how to set up the programs. At my last meeting I saw 3 trying to set up a Spectrum for a indoor helicopter. 30 minutes later, they got it set up and running- somewhat. They attempted a flight and it crashed, then they put the radio away and went home shortly after the meeting.

If I was standing tall before the man and they charged me for keeping it simple, stupid. I would plead guilty as charged!

Pete
Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
acdii

A simple radio for a simple plane is always good. When you get up over 7 channels though, the radios get more complicated.  I got the Futaba for my P-51 since I wanted fully functional gear doors, flaps, and dual bomb releases, 8 channels.  The hardest part is learning to navigate the screens, once its done a few times, they get easier.  I just like the way the screens layout on the Spektrum a lot better, it gives you a menu to scroll through, the Futaba has a touch wheel and I find myself going backwards sometimes.  I kept undoing what I did, which is why it took so long to get it working correctly.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Villa

Hi Gray Beard
Using a 3-way switch to also kill the engine sounds risky to me. I would probably accidentally kill the engine in flight. My Futaba has a small push button for that function, located in an area of the radio box that contains no other flight controls.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: acdii

A simple radio for a simple plane is always good. When you get up over 7 channels though, the radios get more complicated.

So true. I'd like a 8 channel JR 72mHz, but all I can afford is the 6 channel for now. Besides, a 6 channel works fine for Warbirds as long we don't have a movable canopy. Right now I own 2 WWI Warbirds, and I have the pilot bust head move with the rudder so it's all on one channel.

Pete
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

There is no mid-position for the choke lever, so trying to use a single servo to operate ignition and choke probably won't work.

Brad
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cotman to access and set up only the Aurora 9 for throttle cut:

Turn on the radio

Select the model number or the specific airplane.

Punch yes or no to: do you want to transmit.

You are now on the main screen, push the large symbol with an airplane on it, this is the far left bottom side of the screen.

You are now on the first page of the many settings or mixs that may be used. Push the thro.cut button on the far left bottom of the selections.

On the far bottom right push the ACT button

now find the switch NULL button on the far right bottom and push it.

Next find the button on the far bottom right that says SEL and push it.

On this screen with all the switchs displayed make your selection and push the button for the switch you desire. I prefer switch H.

The next screen will display and allow you to set that switch on or off in either position. In the box with the triangles that are on/off just put the switch in say pulling this H switch aginst the spring position the little triangle is high lighted off or on. It it is highlighted on and you want it to be off just push the high lighted on and then push the little button out side that box to the right and it will change to off. The released possition is set to off or on the same way.

You have now loaded your selected switch and the next screen you can set the percentage of the cutoff to your preferance.

John

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Villa

Hi Gray Beard
Using a 3-way switch to also kill the engine sounds risky to me. I would probably accidentally kill the engine in flight. My Futaba has a small push button for that function, located in an area of the radio box that contains no other flight controls.
Hasn't ever happened, YET. Been doing it this way for a very long time. Like any controls it's just something that happens, I use low idle for going out from the pits to the runway, take off and flip the switch to high idle, I also don't get dead sticks this way, I'm talking like almost none at all. When it's time to land I just go down one flip on the switch to a very low idle and land, drive back to the pit area and hit the switch down one more time to kill the engine. No thinking involved at all.
Pete, I was very happy with my Hitec 7 for a long time. Then I started building and flying different planes, not just WWI war birds and fun fly planes. By using Ys and doing different things I could still set up some of my bigger planes but there is a point in time to just buy a bigger radio. I won't use a Y but I have been known to use the Match Box. Even with a 9 ch. radio I can still need more just due to servo count. For most sport pilots a 6 or 7 is just fine but a lot depends on the plane and what you want it to do.
Next time I pick up a radio and don't need to fool with it for a while will be a first. Everyone needs to use some time and often get help with a new radio, it's part of the learning curve. Most of the smaller radios are harder for me to set up a plane with then my 9-C. It was the easiest radio to program that ever was put into our hands. It is so good the JR 9303 and 5 program almost the same way. A computer radio may be too much for some people to learn right away but with some time and help they are a blessing.
I have been looking at new radios that would be good for my use, so far the Hitec A-9 will do everything I need. Your 6 wouldn't work on any of my simplest planes without the use of Ys and then it would require a lot of thinking.