Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Unseizing nitro engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Unseizing nitro engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
velottatv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unseizing nitro engine

Came across a plane from an estate sale and the engine is seized solid. The plane hasn't ran for several years. It appears to be a .46 but Ihaven't taken it apart to verify.

Anyone have any ideas on how to unseize? Soak in a cleaner? Heat up? Take apart? Put some oil through the carb then let it sit for awhile? The pilot was very meticulous so I'm sure he took care of it while alive, may he rest in peace. Other planes were not seized. His collection has sat for at least two years.

Appreciate the help.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Dago Racer13

Default RE: Unseizing nitro engine

If you can take it apart then boil water, then add cascade and
soak it.  Get an old toothbrush, the stiff  kind, and start brushing it off.
If it's gummed up or rusty that should take most of it off.  Oil it and
check if the bearings are smooth.  If not then you may have to use it for
parts.
                               Dave
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would pull off the back plate and inspect the inside. If it has bearing's you will see what kind of condition they are in. You can then fill it up with a good 3 in 1 oil or fuel and let it soak for a while. If it does not loosen up with that it may just be a parts engine. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-26-2012, 05:48 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Hi

First you might try soaking it in denatured alcohol. Remove the carb, take the glow plug out, remove the back plate, then soak for a day or 2. You can disassemble the carb also. Might try a heat gun if really stuborn. But make sure no alcohol left on engine when you do.

Vince
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most probably an engine that used a castor oil based fuel. Just heat the engine up and it will most probably free right up. You can use a heat gun or better to just put it in an oven and heat it to about 250 degrees. Use some gloves and it will free right up if it was because of castor oil. Once free, it will be wise to check it out more closely by either partial or complete disassembly to check bearings etc. Once free, a liberal application of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or other good oil will lubricate it and keep it free.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've soaked one in fuel before and it loosened right up after a couple of days.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:37 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Most probably an engine that used a castor oil based fuel. Just heat the engine up and it will most probably free right up. You can use a heat gun or better to just put it in an oven and heat it to about 250 degrees. Use some gloves and it will free right up if it was because of castor oil. Once free, it will be wise to check it out more closely by either partial or complete disassembly to check bearings etc. Once free, a liberal application of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or other good oil will lubricate it and keep it free.
Iuse the method you describe to loosen the engine. While it's hot I use alcohol (rubbing, denatured, etc)to remove the gummed up castor. I pour the alcohol in the carb and exhaust ports, turn the engine a bit by hand and then pour it out. While Iam doing this Ican get a good feel for whether the bearings are smooth or gritty. When the alcohol starts coming out clear Iam done.Ithen put the engine back in the oven to evaporate the alcohol. Then Itake it out of the oven and lube it up.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 AM
velottatv

Hi Everyone, Thank you for the great ideas and suggestions. Iused a heat gun until it turned after which I ran some fuel through the carb and out the exhaust port. A bunch of sludge came out so I rinsed with denatured alcohol the finished up with after run oil. Scrubbed the outside with the alcohol as well as the glow plug. The engine looks and feels brand new now. Idon't think it was ran much from the previous owener as the plane itself requires a lot of work to get in the air. Thanks again for all the help. I plan on making a video of the plane flying to send to his widow just to let her know his spirit is still in ********.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
It has been said before and I say it again. If an engine with ball bearings, that has been laying for several years and was previously been run on Castor oil fuel I can garantie that the bearings need to be replaced! Beware! Just because you can turn it over after being heated doesn't mean the balls in the bearings are turning. In fact the axle can just slid on the inner surface of the bearing! Seen this happen mny times!
Soo! The only way of doing it is to take the engine apart and have a real good look at the bearings and do a proper cleaning.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Dago Racer13

Thank You!