Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Redundant Receivers?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Redundant Receivers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:47 PM
painlesstom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Villa
If you split it left/right, then when one receiver fails, you will probably still crash anyway.Or not.
I fly with dual receivers in my 25% MX2, last week one of the power leads vibrated off the rx, and that rx obviously lost power. Lost the right side of the plane and throttle control. Even with one elevator at 30% down, and throttle at fast idle. I was still able to easily land the plane. One elevator and aileron still had plenty of authority to safely and confidently fly.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregoryshock
I think your kill switch idea is excellent! Is there anyway to make a remote kill switch for a glo engine?

Yes, have a device that pinches off the fuel line or chokes off the intake.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg, when computer radios came on the market they had an item called the throttle cut. Sometimes today it is even mentioned in the radios instructions. All my planes have this feature and I usually have it on a three way switch. Up is high idle I use for flight, mid way is idle down used for landing and in the pit area and switch down is to kill the engine. It is just a set up that lowers the throttle arm and the kill part is just fully closing the throttle.
This is/was used on gas engines too. Nothing new about it and it's not a deep thinker. Even some of the cheaper radios have a kill button that does the same thing.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:57 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's already been mentioned, but dual receivers were the result of the IMAC guys flying bigger and bigger planes that used many servos. When we started using 4 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos, up to 4 rudder servos, you simply did not have enough receiver ports to plug all the servos into. Back when I started IMAC, 9 channel was the most we had. So someone decided to use 2 receivers and split the load. We simply put 1 side of the plane on each receiver. At the time we didn't have any Power Boxes or expanders. This gave us receiver ports and also reduced the amp draw on each receivers power bus. It worked, but technology has replaced all that. I think the redundancy thing just happened, and was not necessarily intentional. ( for the most part) . Today I have stopped using 2 receivers, but still use 2 batteries and switches, plugged into different receiver ports. The KISS method. I know many will argue this system, but it works. I never had a receiver fail, but I did have several servos fail. It seems all my servo failures resulted in the servo driving to one end. I was able to compensate with the other side and save the plane, but sometimes landing was in a very strange attitude.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:17 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 35% Carden set up with dual receivers. Originally set up like that due to lack of receiver ports but I did have 1 of the 2 Futaba receivers in it die and was able to land the plane easily. It was the only receiver I've had die in 15 years of flying but I figure its cheap insurance, along with dual switches/batteries.