Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Holy Spektrum FAIL?!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Holy Spektrum FAIL?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
acejinx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy Spektrum FAIL?!

I have a number of planes I fly with a Spektrum transmitter. Two weeks ago I was flying a .61 glow plane. The ailerons failed, I don't think the other channels failed but it was hard to tell because of my crazy attitude. I was fairly low and a good distance out. After a few (Panic stricken) moments it recovered. I immediately landed. I was planning on going thought the airplane to see what happened then I was flying another plane, an electric twin, I did a low pass and again the radio failed. I had no control. After a few moments control returned, just in time for me to level out before hitting the ground. Is this common with 2.4 systems? Neither has a 'satelite', should I get one? Could my transmistter be failing? Is there a way to tell, or know? I'm going to go crazy if I can't fly, but I don't dare fly with my transmitter! Both times the aircraft was close to the ground.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:25 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: Holy Spektrum FAIL?!

All depends on what TX, RX you are using, and what kind of plane it is in.  

Your antenna position can also cause issues. It needs to be straight up perpendicular to the ground. If you fly with the transmitter held down and the antenna straight up where it is parallel to the ground, that can cause blind spots.  When you made a low pass, if the tip of the antenna was pointing at the plane, that can cause a loss of signal.

Think of a doughnut, the antenna is the center of it, and you want the RX to be in the doughnut, not on top or below it.

The RX can be an issue too, if you have a park flyer rx in a large plane made of wood, it may have problems receiving. It should have an RX with the sat RX in it for better reception.   My Apprentice has an R600(I think) with one long and one short antenna, and thats perfect for this all foam plane, but my T-34 has one with the sat rx.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Have these two planes flown correctly for a while? If so, I'd suspect a transmitter fault which would require sending it in for repair, or possibly a failing transmitter battery or battery connection. If these planes are both new, the transmitter could still be at fault, but it could also be a problem with your setup, using park flyer receivers when you need full range ones, or inadequate batteries.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horizon Hobby has excellent customer & product service. I've had excellent turnaround when I've sent them Rx's for firmware upgrades and post-crash evaluation. Cost was minimal and in some cases free (other than the cost of shipping the Rx to them).

Old 03-11-2012, 06:34 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

are you using park flyer receivers or full range?

Almost all full-range receivers (for JR and spektrum) have a satellite rx, unless It is an Ar500 or ar600, in which it has one shot and one long antenna wire. If its anything other than those, your probably using a park flyer receiver, and if you were flying far enough away to have difficulty with orientation, then you were probably flying close to out of range.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: acejinx

I have a number of planes I fly with a Spektrum transmitter. Two weeks ago I was flying a .61 glow plane. The ailerons failed, I don't think the other channels failed but it was hard to tell because of my crazy attitude. I was fairly low and a good distance out. After a few (Panic stricken) moments it recovered. I immediately landed. I was planning on going thought the airplane to see what happened then I was flying another plane, an electric twin, I did a low pass and again the radio failed. I had no control. After a few moments control returned, just in time for me to level out before hitting the ground. Is this common with 2.4 systems? Neither has a 'satelite', should I get one? Could my transmistter be failing? Is there a way to tell, or know? I'm going to go crazy if I can't fly, but I don't dare fly with my transmitter! Both times the aircraft was close to the ground.
A number of different variables in play and more info is needed. What type of receiver? Make sure your tx battery is up to snuff and not causing a reboot which would allow for a slight momentary lose of control. I had this happen once in three years.

Although if just the ailerons failed you should look for a connection issue on the ailerons. 2.4s don't allow for any type of connection problem. I have first hand experience with this issue. It also could be a coincidence between the two planes. Have you checked them over thoroughly to make sure connections, batteries, and wires are all intact in good condition. Make sure no wires are rubbing against anything.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 AM
jetmech05

What voltage battery pack are you using in your airplanes? There is or was an issue of spectrum/jr suffering brown outs with 4.8 V packs...where the receiver would blank out for a few seconds....sound like the exact issue you're having...except for the electric airplane....
there have been a few recalls on spectrum/ jr you might want to check their web site
Old 03-12-2012, 07:11 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Are you using a Y harness on those ailerons?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM
acejinx

Thanks for the info. The .61 Pitts has a 4.8 NiMH receiver battery, the P-38 is electric and uses the ESC as a BEC. To come clean I've been using those cheap recievers from HobbyKing. I've used them for almost a year with not trouble, though for $8 I should expect some. I was going to trash the receiver in the Pitts, but then the 38 acted up also. I'm going to take up a foamy tomorrow and see if I can put the plane in the doughnut hole and cause it to lose reception. That might have been the case with the 38, the Pitts wasent really that far, so I'll proably switch out the receiver with a Spektrum brand and see if the problem duplicates. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If you dont have the Satellite RX on those, you will lose signal unless its a small foamy.  Those short antennas can only pick up the signal from a certain direction, the sat rx adds a second set of ears on a different plane.   The RX is probably 100% OK, the orientation is what gotcha on them.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Again a Spektrum problem. When will the problems end. O wait wrong battery voltage and cheap knockoff receivers. But of course it's the radio at issue because we all know low voltage and cheap receivers always work. Dennis
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM
pdm52956

The question I have here is.......what makes everyone think this is a single issue with Spektrum? By that I mean the OP says that the first plane suffered from "the ailerons failed" yet in describing the second incident, he says "I had no control". Sounds like two different symptoms to me.

I'm not seeing anything that said that tells us that in both cases it was a problem with either the rx or the tx......much less a battery or what not. In the first case, it could very well be a Y harness if one was used in that plane. I've seen that same thing before when using a Y.

I'm with Dennis on this one. Everyone.......all at the same time.......JUMP. Ah good, everyone got the same conclusion at the same time!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Let's not forget that he's not using Spektrum receivers, but the cheap Chinese copies of Spektrum receivers. I'm not against saving money, but these manufacturers that Hobby King sells do zero quality control on their products. There have been numerous problems associated with the Orange receivers from Hobby King so I'm not too surprised to see this fellow having problems too.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Problem 1... 4.8v battery
Problem 2... Hobby king crap
Problem 3... Lack of knowledge and reading the directions if the spektrum radio system
Old 03-18-2012, 11:18 PM
heavy metal thunder

If you are using the orange receivers the range could be a problem. I've used over 20 orange receivers without a problem, but you have to know their limitations. In larger (about 40 size) you have to run a satellite receiver, beyond a 40 size plane I would use at least a AR6200.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Again a Spektrum problem. When will the problems end. O wait wrong battery voltage and cheap knockoff receivers. But of course it's the radio at issue because we all know low voltage and cheap receivers always work. Dennis
no one bitting on your anti spektrum crap huh lol

what radio you own???/ Futaba lol
Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
DadsToysBG

airaptor, by you quoting me I'm going to assume you think I'm bashing Spektrum. Quite the contrary. If you'll read it carefully you'll see I'm pointing out that blaming a radio system when other things need consideration is getting very tiresome. Read more carefully next time. to answer your other question i fly a 11x Dennis
Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
triggerpuller03

I have had a lot of problems with spectrum receivers. I have lost some planes from dumb thumb and some from loss of communication from the radio to the receiver. I was using a DX-7 for about two years I did lose I think 2 or 3 planes from loss of communication. I bought the DX-8 to upgrade my options for programing. But I have had the same problem with this radio, yes I am using spectrum full range receivers AR-7000 and up. And 4.8 and 6 volt power systems. Batteries always had a full charge on them as well as the radio. I am not the only one at the field that has experienced this problem with spectrum radios. I have always installed the receivers no less than 12 or more inches from the ignition system. And just this last weekend I was flying my Talorcraft BNF form Horizon hobby, had the same problem loss of communication, now this plane came set up to fly straight from Horizon, again a full charge on my DX-8 and a full charge on the plane. What gives? I will stop using spectrum products and break down and buy a decent radio.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
acejinx

This has had a little more of an emotional response than I expected. I admit the cheap receivers could definitely be the problem. I have pushed them a little further than I should have. But I have used them for over a year now with absolutely no glitches. I'm not recommending them to anyone for the reasons stated above, but for me they have been solid in all attitudes and distances. Before I trust them I put them in a throw away .40 trainer and fly them to the edge of my sight high and low using a 4.8v pack. I usually do an hour of flying on each. I've never had a problem. This is without using a satellite. Now a problem has reared it's ugly head, and the only common component in the transmitter which has already been send back to spektrum for a binding issue once. I'm not sure this is the problem, but things do seem to be pointing that way. I got great advice from a number of guys until I mentioned HobbyKing!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ACE I think you just went out of range. i have flown the "parkflyer" receivers out of range up high till lost contact and the plane was free flight till it bound again. I did this on a small plane. i had it trimed so that it would circle if lost connection.

I also dont think you should be flying on 4.8 volt pack. i dont know about the HK receivers i dont trust them in the thinking of you get what you pay for. We all learn from this hobby all the time. i have been flying for over 34 years now and still learning lol. I went thru a couple of planes because of cheap NiMh packs from LHS and cheap switches. some times we dont think but you have a 500-1000 dollar plane with the best engine, best servos, best receiver and put a cheap 10 dollar switch i nthe plane lol..

to dads Sorry i misread it. I see many times on here where someone will ask about a spektrum issue and the anti spektrum guys chim in saying futaba is the best and no issues blah blah stuff. lol
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM
DadsToysBG

To Airraptor, no sweat. I fell the same way, that was the reason for the post I made. If Spektrum/JR is so bad 99% of the jet guys would not be using them. Dennis
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 AM
hithere34

My two cents worth. My son has had a DX6i for almost a year and hasflown it with a combination of AR6200 and AR6100 receivers. This has been with both foamies and balsa/nitro planes without issue. Thenrecently he lost radio contact with his nitro Yak and it crashed. So he bought another nitro plane second hand and installed another AR6200 receiver. It crashed too, same reason, different pilot. Repaired this plane and replaced the transmitter with a DX8...same result. I'm stumped!

In the meantime he continues to fly his foamie jet (AR6200) without problems (using either the DX6i or DX8) and his micro Beast. Next I'm replacing the receiver with a brand newie in a throw away plane and using the DX8. If this doesn't work I have no idea what to do next...
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: hithere34

My two cents worth. My son has had a DX6i for almost a year and has flown it with a combination of AR6200 and AR6100 receivers. This has been with both foamies and balsa/nitro planes without issue. Then recently he lost radio contact with his nitro Yak and it crashed. So he bought another nitro plane second hand and installed another AR6200 receiver. It crashed too, same reason, different pilot. Repaired this plane and replaced the transmitter with a DX8...same result. I'm stumped!
It could be rx issues but the way I'm reading what you're saying, it could also be something else since you said he installed "another AR6200 receiver".

If it was the same rx, then I might be inclined to think that rx was an issue but if it was in fact a different one and the result was the same, there is probably something else that needs attention.

Just my thoughts.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM
acejinx

I love my Specktrum transmitter. I should maybe have started with that, it seems that some people are on the defensive. No reason to be. I used Futaba for years and last year bought a DX7, and it's been great. I have flown for a number of years, and have dealt with servo, engine, and reciever failures. Transmitters are geting increasing complex and as such have a bunch more failure points. I've never sent a transmitter to the factory until I got this one. Nothing wrong with JR, just a complex transmitter with a bunch of failure points. I'm surpised at how hobbled I've felt without being able to trust my main peice of equipment. I've flown a couple of times now and have not had any trouble at all. I'm going to take up one of the failure airplanes in the next couple of days and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 PM
hithere34

It could be rx issues but the way I'm reading what you're saying, it could also be something else since you said he installed "another AR6200 receiver".

If it was the same rx, then I might be inclined to think that rx was an issue but if it was in fact a different one and the result was the same, there is probably something else that needs attention.

Just my thoughts.
Just to clarify...

Plane "A" DX6i and receiver "1" (lost radio contact and crashed)

Plane "B" DX6i and receiver "2" (lost radio contact and crashed)

Repaired Plane "B" DX8 and receiver "2" (lost radio contact and crashed)

Both planes had different batteries (5 cell enerloop) fully charged (tested after crash). Each plane had a different switch, both of which seem to work fine now. Both receivers passed a range check after each crash.

As far as I can see there's one thing in common...Spektrum. I don't want that to be the fault because I now have two transmitters and a bucketload of receivers but it's hard to dispute the evidence.

Next step: Plane C, DX8, receiver 3 (brand new AR6200)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.