Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Been out of the hobby. Catch me up on Radios?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Been out of the hobby. Catch me up on Radios?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been out of the hobby. Catch me up on Radios?

Hi guys and gals....Long time, no see.
I've been out of the hobby for probably 7 or 8 years. Still not quite ready to join a club or anything but I'm feeling the old urge to do some flying and building again. I still have a ton of planes and kits....and Radios, all 72Mhz stuff, mostly Airtronics and couple of Futaba and JR sets-
Is it still useful?....or has everything gone to 2.4Ghz now?
Is there a crash course online on what has changed in the last 10 years? Any new regulations regarding onboard equipment, etc?
I like some electric but mostly glow and gas up to 50cc or so.
Last plane I built is below. BUSA EAA Bipe with Magnum 1.20
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20739.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1745859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11465.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1745860  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Been out of the hobby. Catch me up on Radios?

You can still use your radios, although I would replace the batteries. The new 2.5GHz stuff is really nice, but the 72MHz is still in use for many fliers.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed with Minnflyer. If you're happy with your existing radios, they still work as well as they ever did. That's, of course, assuming that everything is still in good condition. 2.4ghz has replaced 72mhz for new units and offer the advantages of faster response times and no frequency conflicts. The little short antennas are also a bigger plus than one would realize! As far as new features, I doubt you'll be shocked by any of it. Today's mid range radio was the high end when you left the hobby with all the mixes and customization they can do. The only really new thing is telemetry, which puts sensors and a transmitter into your plane to monitor you battery voltage, fuel capacity, RPM, airspeed, and a few other items of information that are neat to have but not necessary. If you're itching for a new system, have a look at the various manufacturer's 8-10 channel systems. They offer all of the functions that most pilots will ever use and the prices are quite competitive at that level.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 AM
G.F. Reid

Thanks guys. That's good to know. I was always behind the curve a little on this stuff so even at the time I quit, I was probably about the only one that was still using a different radio for every plane. At some point, I'll probably get at least one new radio that has a memory for several different planes....and of course, new batteries for everything I presently have.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: G.F. Reid

at the time I quit, I was probably about the only one that was still using a different radio for every plane.

Although seven or eight years is not a hugh gap however if you were still using One tranny/one airplane type of equipment which even at that time was quite antiquated, then I disagree with the others and beleve you are in for an eye opening experiace with new equipment and the many advantages

Your initial question would require a book to answer completely. There fore I think you are missing the boat substancially by avoiding networking with a club or established flying site now not just later when you need a flying site.

To depend upon the net for everybit of info is I beleve a mistake. You can even see it in these forums at times.

So get involved learn all the wonderous things you have been missing not only since you quit but also all you lost by using antiquated equipment just eight years ago.

You can best do that by networking on the net and with your local club. So shine up that pretty EAA Bipe and get on out to the field and meet your new friends.

Welcome back

John
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
G.F. Reid

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

at the time I quit, I was probably about the only one that was still using a different radio for every plane.

Although seven or eight years is not a hugh gap however if you were still using One tranny/one airplane type of equipment which even at that time was quite antiquated, then I disagree with the others and beleve you are in for an eye opening experiace with new equipment and the many advantages

Your initial question would require a book to answer completely. There fore I think you are missing the boat substancially by avoiding networking with a club or established flying site now not just later when you need a flying site.

To depend upon the net for everybit of info is I beleve a mistake. You can even see it in these forums at times.

So get involved learn all the wonderous things you have been missing not only since you quit but also all you lost by using antiquated equipment just eight years ago.

You can best do that by networking on the net and with your local club. So shine up that pretty EAA Bipe and get on out to the field and meet your new friends.

Welcome back

John
Well John, I wouldn't exactly say I'm back...yet......but I'm definitely feeling the urge to knock the dust off of some of my equipment. I may fly my little Parkzone Mustang this weekend to see if I still can....In fact, my stoppage was a combination of burnout and lack of a reasonably close flying site after our club lost it's lease.
As for the radios and all the info I need to get, I know what you mean about how much information I've missed. I was cleaning my basement out last week and realized that I had Scale R/C Modeler, RCM and MAN magazines that covered from 1984 to 2003. I figured all that info was still good except for probably the radio information and maybe electric flight.
I actually posted this thread wondering if there was an article or website that gave the ABC's of modern radio technology so to speak...
Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Stick 40

I think you can find everything you might want to know right here. Might take a bit of looking, but this is about the only site I use.

for RC that is.

sticks
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
huck1199

One advantage of 72mhz now is you have minimal channel conflicts with other flyers - most are flying 2.4ghz.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:31 PM
G.F. Reid

Yeah, I'm sure I can find a lot here and in some more recent publications. Not sure what's out there any more.
As for conflicts, yeah, I even have one on the Ham Radio band channel 09 for that very reason..
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Here is your local club here and sounds like a good un something less than 25 miles!

http://www.sarasotasilentflyers.com/

Now lets just talk turkey here beween a couple of old pharts Have you noticed there are very few magazines left apart from the AMA magazine (a good one) and a few upstart electric only mags which are expensive glossy advertisements with no substancial content. Also almost no published paper books that are truly up to date.

Hmm well there can be only one reason for that Guess what? The internet. If there is no market for it then they go away. Now I cannot help you with exacty what you want because its pretty much gone. However you can use the internet to find out just about anything but its going to take time. A good place to start is right here. A proilific poster here in the beginners forum has a very helpful site. Its up above the listings in a sticky. Yes I said beginner as that is almost how much you have missed so its no shame to use that information.

Now let me fill you in on a little secret Yes you are 'not quite' back yet but if you leave out the human equation you may not be able to sustain the return interest without the personal contact as beleve it or not that is a very important part of the hobby/sport.

John[8D]

Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
JohnBuckner

OK now to your radio equiment what exactly do you have and are you aware of the 1991 narrowbanding that obsoleted a lot of equipment by law (FCC)?

The help and information is here and you only need to ask, someone will come up with the answer.

The website I referred to above is MinnFlyers whos link is in his reply to you post #2

John
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
G.F. Reid

Yes John, I've noticed that magazines are quickly becoming relics of the 20th century...but you are correct, the web is an absolutely bottomless well of information...both good and bad. I was a member of RC Universe back in the day and transferred my membership over here just a year or so before I dropped everything R/C.
I am aware of the 1991 change and all of my radios postdate that occurrence. I always stuck to Airtronics mostly but have one Futaba 6 channel and a JR 8 channel rig. I think maybe 5 or 6 radios in all.
I was in a club for about 12 years or so, so yes, I understand the importance of the human equation.
I will definitely find and use MinnFlyer's blog site. In fact, his user name sparked a memory when I saw his response. I remember quite a few of you guys on this site.

Oh...by the way...that's the wrong Palmetto...lol...I'm in Georgia. Suburb of Atlanta really. Looks like a great club though.

Ok, a couple more pics to give you guys an idea of what I like...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67057.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1746124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47243.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	1746125  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM
JohnBuckner

Ok, a couple more pics to give you guys an idea of what I like...

Cool great looking Bearcat, well if you like the navel types then here is my old beater Hellcat doing arrested landings last fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WIV...ture=endscreen

John
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

G. F. Reid, Let me give you some info that might help you with your "itch to fly". First there is a non AMA, non club, flying field about 20 miles from you in Whitesburg Ga. It's in a Carroll County park called Macintosh Preserve on hwy 5 about 2mi south of the traffic circle in Whitesburg. Its use is free to Carroll County residents and you as a non resident will pay, can't remember either $2 a day or $5 a day to use the park and fly. Stop at the Ranger station as you enter the park to pay your fee and get directions to the field. It has a grass runway about 400'-500' ft long but not real wide, maybe 40'-50' wide. The county keeps it cut (sometimes) and Sat and Sun is when you might find other flyers there. I haven' flown there in 4 or 5 years so I don't know how many flyers are using it. This would let you start by buying new batteries and then test an airplane without going the AMA and an AMA club costs route. Also, if your looking for a local hobby store (they are a dying breed) try Allison Performance Hobbies in downtown Newnan, Ga. It's a hole in the wall, one man operation old time hobby store thats quite close to you. It's a good store for RC airplanes run by a nice fellow flyer named Stan. Check it out.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 AM
G.F. Reid

Very nice Hellcat John...nice landing too! The meatballs on a Hellcat are 'different'...lol
That from a kit? My Bearcat is from the old Royal kit, fiberglassed and Aerogloss doped. Has an ASP .91 Redhead. Always had to fly it with the cowl off...Never did cure the overheating problem.

Larry, I know where McIntosh Reserve is. I actually paid for the year right after we lost our flying field. I was wondering if anyone was still flying there.
I went out a few times and watched others fly but I never felt real comfortable flying there with people riding horses around the field, kids running out on the field, etc.... I think I may try one of my electrics out there during the week when there's not much going on. Thanks for reminding me.
I also know of the hobby shop in downtown Newnan you mentioned. Stopped in there a couple of times years ago.
I used to mostly frequent the one in Peachtree City but don't know if they're still in business. It was called "The Hobby Stop".
Thanks for the input.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 AM
52larry52

Greg, You are right about the safety concerns at MacIntosh but I guess thats what you get at a non AMA field. Some of the flyers there when I used to go were very good pilots with well perpared aircraft and saftey habits and others were scary flyers (would put at least one a day into the trees) with very poorly maintained aircraft and no safety in mind. It was a real mixed bag and probably still is. I now fly at an AMA club field thats much further away for me but I don't feel the need to run and hide when some guys fire up thier engines!!!!! Like you said, maybe going in the middle of the week is a good idea. Check the AMA site to find what clubs are currently flying near you when you are ready. Good luck
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If you are looking for a new radio, the DX8 is a nice one, very comfortable to fly with. I flew one for the first time last night with my T-34 and it was nicer than the DX6i it came with. I also have a Futaba 8FGS 14 channel radio that is very nice, but RX are not cheap for FASST, and start off at 7 channels. Both radios have good features to play with. Airtronics also has one that I heard good reviews on. I think out of the three it is the lowest priced one but RX are not cheap for it either. Spektrum has a deal on the DX8, you get it with 3 RX, and there may be some left. This is what I got last week.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
G.F. Reid

Larry,
Duh....I just thought to check on my old club and it turns out that they've moved right across Hwy. 74 from where they were years ago. That would be ideal for me. It's only 10 miles away. I'll probably ride over there tomorrow just to see the lay of the land.

acdii, thanks for the recommendations. I will do some reading up on those puppies.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM
52larry52

Greg, Sounds like you have a plan now. Is your old club that is only 10 miles away Fayette flyers? I drive 45 miles one way to my current club, Taildraggers RC in Cartersville and the gas costs are killing me (90 miles round trip each time I fly). I may rejoin my original club, Douglas county Aeromodelers (10 miles one way) just to save on gas. I think you are now "chomping at the bit" to start flying again, good luck and fly safe.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are talking about buying batteries for several analog radios, I'll say don't waste your money. The most basic computer radios available today have more features than those do, and for what you'll spend on good battery packs you can just about have a new set. Everyone has his own pet brand, but from what I see, Hitec has the best bang for your buck out there. I think they are still offering their 6 channel 2.4ghz radio with a free receiver special. So for about $200, you get a 6 channel computer transmitter that can remember trim and setup for multiple planes along with some functionality that simply didn't exist before such as exponential and mixes. I believe extra receivers cost around $50 but with the little short antennas on 2.4ghz equipment it's not hard to switch receivers on planes you don't fly much.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 AM
G.F. Reid

Larry,
Yes, I was in the Fayette Flyers for 9 or 10 years. I want to see what kind of field they're using nowadays. Hopefully, I can catch someone over there today so I can get into the gate and look around.

Jester,
You're making a lot of sense. I used to use Hitec flight packs with some of my other branded transmitters and they were always trouble free.
I've got some other things on my plate right now but sometime this summer or in the fall, I think I'll gear up one or two of my planes.