Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

YARGGGGGGG..... battery chargers !

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

YARGGGGGGG..... battery chargers !

Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
lrglnman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YARGGGGGGG..... battery chargers !

Ok, so I went out and bought 2 A123 2300 packs to go into my new Yak 54. I also went out and bought the Turnagy battery chrger thinking it would charge them. But, It doesent. So im in the market for a charger that will charge them . I want to be able to charge through the Deans plug at the field and when i get home I can balance charge them too. Another problem I ran into is the freaking balancing plug. no 2 plugs are the same are they? I also have a Cellpro 4 charger that will charge A123 batteries but the balancing plugs doesent fit my charger. any uggestions on a charger? would like 1 that will do it all.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: YARGGGGGGG..... battery chargers !

My Turnigy will charge LiFe batteries...what charger do you have?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 PM
dignlivn

I'm using a Thunder Power 610 charger.

It does liFe,A123,lipos nMhi nicads andPB batteries. Also
has a balancing ports for wide range of manufactures balancing
plugs. The newer version is AC/DC also.

Bob
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
lrglnman

Whoops, I have the turnigy 8150. from what i can figure out is it cant charge 2 cell A123's . when I try to charge them it only offers 2 cell lipo batteries 7.4 volts and it over charges the a123's. and the cellpro 4 charger i have from what i can figure out can only charge through the balance plug. I dont want to have to pull the cowl off everytime i need to charge the batteries. I went to their website to try to find an adapter for it so i can use a deans plug to a futaba style connector and use a chargeing switch to charge my plane at the field. and when i come home i can pull the cowl and balance charge them.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:34 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

If this is your charger...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Charger.html

It will charge A123s. You probably have to get to the "program selection' window, and then change the voltage shown to 3.3volts. This will reset the charger to "LIFE", which is what you want for charging your A123s.

If it is like the Accucell 6, there is not seperate program modes for "LIFE" and "LIPOS". It uses the same program but you have to select the correct voltage in the "PROGRAM SELECT" section.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:12 PM
lrglnman

yes ! thats the one I have. Darn think came with no instructions on how to set things up. I bought it thinking it would charge a123's and have beat my head to death trying to figure out how to do it. I used the lipo setting and found it charged to 8 volts + . Ill check some more with it I must not be doing something right. thanks for the info
Old 04-07-2012, 04:19 AM
jetmech05

Tacx is correct change the voltage
Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 AM
tacx

Irglnman,, Your charger does charge LIFE (A123s). Here is a link to your manual so you can download it.

http://turnigy.co.uk/downloads/accucell-8_manual.pdf

Here is how you change batt types

1. Push "batt type" button till you get to "User set program" window.

2. Push "start". That should get you to a window that indicates battery type. Now you have to push the "START" button or thr "PLUS" button ( can't remember which) till the window says either LILO, LIFE, or LIPO and gives you a corresponding voltage. This is where you have to change the voltage shown to match the type of battery you want to charge. As you change the voltage the window will change the battery type automatically.

3. To change the voltage push the start button till the voltage starts blinking. You can only change the voltage when it is blinking.

4. Push the minus or plus buttons to change the voltage. If you want LIFE, then you would want the voltage to read 3.3v.

5. When you get to the voltage you want, it will still be blinking. Hit the start button to stop the blinking, which will set the charger to that voltage.

6. Now push the batt type button and you will be scrolling thru the program selection windows like you were before.

7. Now when you get to the LILO/LIFE/LIPO charge program window it will say LIFE if you selected 3.3v in step 4.

8. Push start to select that program and the window should say "LIFE CHARGE" or "LIFE BALANCE'" or "LIFE DISCHARGE".

9. Push the "PLUS" and "MINUS" buttons to switch between charge, balance or discharge.

10. Plug your batt leads in.

11. To start the charge push and hold the start button and the charger will check the batt you pluged in and tell you how many cells it is reading.

12. If the cell counts match push the start butoon again to start the charge.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

That looks pretty close to the Thunder AC680.  The manual seems similar too.  I have been trying to figure out the programming for the NiMh packs in the planes, but it seems to shut off after 2 hours. Shouldn't the packs be slow charged?    Same with the PB charging.

I have been using it for my Lipo's and it works great. Fully charges my 3S 3300's in 45 minutes or less, but dont know if I am putting the right charge into the flight packs.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not hard to change the balance plugs so you can use your Cellpro either. You don't even have to solder them. Just get the plug you need, and then open up the little retainer that holds each wire in. Then you just do the same for the new plug and snap them in.

Also, you shouldn't ever charge LiFe's without balancing. They are sensitive to being overcharged and will fail prematurely if you do.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
WaffleMan

ORIGINAL: acdii

That looks pretty close to the Thunder AC680. The manual seems similar too. I have been trying to figure out the programming for the NiMh packs in the planes, but it seems to shut off after 2 hours. Shouldn't the packs be slow charged? Same with the PB charging.

I have been using it for my Lipo's and it works great. Fully charges my 3S 3300's in 45 minutes or less, but dont know if I am putting the right charge into the flight packs.
I'm using a Thunder AC-6 Dual Powerand it has an adustable safety timer in the USER SET - PROGRAM menu. You can find it using the left or right arrow key once in USER SET - PROGRAM
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 PM
lrglnman

Jester ! I just slapped myself hard upside the head. Great idea, never thought of that. I have several old thunder power batteries that i have the adapter for the cellpro charger. Ill do what you suggest .
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Well once you recover I hope everything goes well with the batteries!