Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

muffler for Thunder Tiger .61

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

muffler for Thunder Tiger .61

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Jim Elliott
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler for Thunder Tiger .61

I am installing a TT .61 mounted sideways, and the standard muffler that came with the engine won't fit unless I do some serious
carving on the fuselage which I would rather not do. Will a Pitts Style muffler for any .61 engine fit my TT? Any other suggestions
for a different type of muffler? Thanks for the help. Jim
Old 04-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: muffler for Thunder Tiger .61

THere are any number of muffler types you can use. Google up Bison mufflers, Jtec Muflers Slim Line mufflers. Give some thought to just getting a muffler extension for the stock one too. They come in different lengths or you can buy a long one and cut it to what you need. Lot of ways to do it.
The web page will usually tell you what engines the muffler will fit but most .61s have the same width and port size and use the same screw spread. Some mufflers will require longer or shorter screws but often come with them.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thunder Tiger Pro engines seem to be somewhat of a copy of an equalivent size O.S. FX engine. I have a TT .46pro that I run a muffler from an O.S. .46 FX. Its a perfect fit, just bolt it up! Maybe your TT .61 will match up to a muffler for an O.S. 61FX, which has a muffler bolt spread of 42mm (1.65"). What type of aircraft are you trying to fit the TT.61 into?? Is your TT a "pro" series with ball bearings or the "lower cost std" engine with bushings for bearings??
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For what ever its worth the TT 61Pro, OS 61FX and the OS 95AX all use the same manfold and bolt spacing. I can say that for a fact since I have been using the same Nelson Ultrathrust pipe interchangeably on all three recently.

That really won,t help the Op Since he only needs to refer to any of the Pitts makers and they will fix him right up just don,t wait to long in this failing economy.

As for me I hate the so called Pitts mufflers, I'd rather us a stock muffler anyday. In just about every case I just cut a pipe notch or tunnel slot if needed. Its easy to do.

John
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Gray Beard

John, what is it you don't like about them?? I have several of them and have had no problems with them. Two stroke or Four stroke. Some of them are just a can with two pipes but the Bison are real mufflers and very quiet.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM
JohnBuckner

OK, two points.

First and formost I dispise the sound, Often they are much louder. Remember me the weard one who prefers a two stroke sound over a fourstroke

And they are not really one size fits all though folks tend to treat them that way. From the tiny little Tatone boxs with a giant outlet(s) that are in reality just big manifolds to some humongous shoe boxs with yet agine far to much outlet area.

Now true its easy to stick a pencil or potato in some of these excessive outlets but hey man I am to old to be screwing around with mufflers and lost time at the field. Think of all the waste time at the field doing this, I see this going on almost everyday.

Nope I'll take a stock muffler any day over a box.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
2x4barrels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guy`s

I am with john on the noise thing.Those pitts run well but sound real bad.Try something new like a tuned pipe.The engine you have has a very common exhaust patern.

2x4`s
Old 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: 2x4barrels

Hi guy`s

I am with john on the noise thing.Those pitts run well but sound real bad.Try something new like a tuned pipe.The engine you have has a very common exhaust patern.

2x4`s
Tuned pipes are new?????? Sort of like saying John is young! I have never had to plug one of the pipes on any of my pitts mufflers. I have always felt people that needed to had other engine or fuel tank issues. If you like quiet engines then run YS!! Can't hear them even when they are just running a header!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
JohnBuckner

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM
JohnBuckner

Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

If you like quiet engines then run YS!! Can't hear them even when they are just running a header!

Then you have obviously never attended an RC Pro Warbird pylon race. Just four gold ships all using YS 110 and up all on short pipe and running forty percent up to sixty percent nitro all pulling increditable G just seven hundred feet between poles indeed is an increditable sound sensory overload That even you GB could never deny!

John
Old 04-06-2012, 06:06 PM
52larry52

John, If you like quiet, then go electric (YUCK!!) or fly sailplanes. I have a number of 2 strokes with Bison and Slimline pitts mufflers and A) like the sound, and B) have had no problums with them. Never had to plug one pipe to get fuel tank pressure or any other issue that was caused by the muffler. I am using 8 pitts type and 2 sport scale type on O.S. FX, O.S.LA, Super Tiger, and MDS brand engines....ALL GOOD!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 PM
JohnBuckner

Larry it makes me happy you like the sound of your Pitts and have not had problems with them, thats wonderful.

However that has nothing to do with my preferance for the sound of a stock muffler any day over any pitts or my indication to the original poster that I prefer to do simple firewall notchs and even simple tunnels to use stock mufflers wherever I can.

John
Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 AM
52larry52

John, As you correctly pointed out, firewalls can be notched and muffler tunnels can be cut into the fuselage (I have done it that way also), however Mr Elliott specifically said he didn't want to do any "carving" on the fuselage and requested fitment information for a pitts type muffler. I don't think he asked which sound either of us prefer, but rather appeared to be seeking a bolt on solution to his muffler fitment problum. I threw in the "go electric (yuck) or fly sailplanes" as a joke please don't be offended as I know you fly a lot of different aircraft and give a lot of good help on on these questions. I should have added a "LOL" so you knew I was just pulling your chain. Have a good day.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

If you like quiet engines then run YS!! Can't hear them even when they are just running a header!

Then you have obviously never attended an RC Pro Warbird pylon race. Just four gold ships all using YS 110 and up all on short pipe and running forty percent up to sixty percent nitro all pulling increditable G just seven hundred feet between poles indeed is an increditable sound sensory overload That even you GB could never deny!

John
Mater of fact no I haven't. One was supposed to be held here last year and the promotor was trying to have it over at Lake Mead??? I thought the guy was a little nuts, that area isn't big enough to handle the local pilots when the lake bed floods. The lake bed is the place to hold races and you can lease it from the city of Boulder. 7 sq. miles of flat, plenty of parking for everyone. THe Old timers and free flight people do it.
I run all my YS engines on 15%, use a pitts muffler or stock muffler. I have the one 1.20 on a straight pipe because the header broke off and took a favorite muffler with it. That was at lake mead so it was never recovered. I just happen to have a couple headers on hand. I can't even hear that engine in flight, I was in shock how quiet it is. I ended up landing that plane upside down at lake mead due to a radio problem and haven't done the repairs yet. Let me know if there is an war bird race in your area as is it worth the drive to watch them for the day? Gas just went over $4.00 here so travel is one of those is it worth it deals.