Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DLE 20 - tuning

I've got the DLE 20 in my Pulse 125 turning a 16 x 8 Xoar prop. I've got some numbers but I think they're a little low, so I'd appreciate a second (third, fourth etc) opinion:

RPM @ WOT: ~7500
    Static thrust: 11.75 lbs

Here's a clip of the throttle response.

The first time I started the plane it stuttered when the throttle was opened and sometimes quit at full throttle. Per the DLE manual I opened up the High adjustment screw on the carb about 1/8 turn and it improved. If I open it too much further it starts to miss, which I assume means too rich.

So, the questions.

1. The manual specifies 2.5 HP @ 9000 RPM. I am running a recommended prop size. Should I expect 9000 RPM?
    2. I've seen other reports of the static thrust at 13-14 lbs... is 11.75 low enough to cause concern?
    3. I've backed off the idle to about 2000 RPM, but it's pretty shaky at that setting. Is this a good idle speed?

Cheers!
    MAAC 83386
    Stetson Flyers, Ottawa
    G-RSBK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DLE 20 - tuning

If you go into the gas engine forum there are pages and pages on the DLE 20. I have tuned a couple of them for friends at the field but never bothered doing any prop testing or static thrust testing with one. The one thing I have learned with all the DLE engines it toss the spark plug that came with the engine and install an NGK CM-6. That no name thing from China is about useless and creats a lot of problems.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years