Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Servo jitters Help please!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo jitters Help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:49 PM
phatboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo jitters Help please!!!

OK guys. Im gettin my newest plane outfitted, and Im having a problem. Im using a brand new Spectrum DX7s TX, using brand new Spectrum AR6100e RX(s), and a Spectrum AR8000 Rx, and brand new JR sport ST47bb servos, a brand new 2000mah 6v nimh battery. I am familiar with the bind procedure and have gone through it many times. However, immediatly after binding, and the TX reboots, Im getting bad servo jitter from 3 of 5 brand new servos.

This plane has dual aileron and dual elevator servos. None of my Rx's have dual ports for aileron or elevator so I am using Y harnesses. If I eleminate the Y harnesses the jittering stops and everything works as normal. The AR8000 Rx has 3 Aux ports, but I dont know if I can or how to set them up to control the dual ailerons and elevators.

I dont know what is causing this, but I need to get it sorted ASAP. I wanna fly Saturday.

Please help.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:31 AM
tomfiorentino

Default RE: Servo jitters Help please!!!

Is the transmitter sitting right next to the airplane (and receiver) on your workbench? If so, try stepping back 10 feet or so...

Tom
Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom has it right. The longer extensions and Y harness on ailerons and aft mounted elevator servos make good collecting antenna to carry RF into servos and the close proximity of the transmitter is overwhelming them.

As to getting rid of the Y harnesses if you desire, your radio manual should outline fairly clearly how to do that.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 AM
tomfiorentino

Agree on the manual. I also Googled "Specktrum DX 7 dua" an all kinds of .pdf's came up...should be easy. Looks like you need Flapperon Wing Type for the dual wing servos and Program Mix 5 with AUX channel for dual elevator.

I would get rid of the Y harness anyway if not for any other reason as your radio can handle the individual connections and also it looks like spreading the load around might make sense.

Can I ask what you are putting together though? I just looked again and it's hard to make some assumptions.

I'm seeing something with a dual receiver setup (you reference two), on a 6 volt system, but multiple standard servos. Kind of sounds like a bigger bird with dual aieleron and elevator servos...and if so, im not sure you want to be going with JR Sport servos.

Just trying to help and make sure you are on the right track from anything I might know...tons of guys here can very, very quickly point you in the direction of a solid set-up if we knew a little more. Perhaps you have that under control though...

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

JR/Spektrum speficially warns against using amplified extensions, reversing Y harnesses etc.

The wiring making an antenna and sending RF into the reciever just doesn't happen, sorry.

Make sure you use Pmix 5 or 6 for the elevators so the trim works on both sides.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

JR/Spektrum speficially warns against using amplified extensions, reversing Y harnesses etc.

The wiring making an antenna and sending RF into the reciever just doesn't happen, sorry.

Make sure you use Pmix 5 or 6 for the elevators so the trim works on both sides.
With all due respect, as I've read many of your post and find very solid logic within... but I should remind you that reading is fundamental. I did not say that the long extensions or Y harnesses were supplying RF to the receiver.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 AM
phatboy

Thanks guys. Its a seagull yak 54 90, but I dont have the skills necessary to really put it through the ringer. I was told these servos would be fine for me to just fly and do some simple aerobatics. It does have dual ail and dual ele servos. I have set the RX to reflect this.

Im only using the AR8000 reciever, and I did figure out how to get them all working without using the Y's, and that solved the jittering issue. However, now Im having a program issue. I have the ailerons and elevator linked. The elevator performs correctly as an elevator, but when I roll right, the ailerons go the correct direction, but the elevator goes opposite. I cant reverse the elevator servos because then the elevator is reversed during normal opperation. I have tried linking the Lail to the Rele, and vice versa with no difference. The right ail goes up, but the right ele goes down without regard to how they are linked. That doesnt make any sense to me.

Im waiting to talk to Spektrum as I know this is my own error somewhere.

I appreciate the help thusfar!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Turn off ALL of your mixing.

Turn on Flapperons and make sure the ailerons are doing thier thing and that you have everything plugged in correctly.

Then use PMix5 to link the elevator servos.

Throw all your switches and make sure everything is still working and not doing anything goofy when you flip switches.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM
phatboy

I did as you sugessted. Flaperons on, dual elevator servos, mix 5 is: AIL > REL rates at 100%

The ailerons work properly, but when I roll right both sides of the elevator go up, and when I roll left both sides of the elevator go down. The elevator works normally moving with elevator input.

If I switch the mixing to AIL > LEL rates at 100%, then the elevator halves work as elevons, but they go the opposite direction of the ailerons. The left aileron goes up while the left elevator goes down and the opposite on the other side.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM
phatboy

Problem solved after 2 hours on the phone with the spektrum guys. Im an idiot basically and installed one of the servos backwards, so when we programmed it that one kept going the wrong way. Headed to maiden her tomorrow. Thanks all!