Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Any instructions on how to build a radio control system from scratch?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Any instructions on how to build a radio control system from scratch?

Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 AM
DMalyuta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any instructions on how to build a radio control system from scratch?

I'm looking for a detailed source explaining the details of and showing how to build a radio control system from scratch- the transmitter and the receiver. It need not be a complicated 6ch system or something I can immediately fly a plan with- I'm looking for a book/online source which can provide me with the knowledge base of how to construct custom electrical systems- in this case, it is a radio control transmitter and receiver.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 AM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any instructions on how to build a radio control system from scratch?

The model mags, back in the dark ages, used to run all sorts of circuits and explanations, RCM&E ran a full series on a 5 chan digital propo tx and rx with servo amps, using 'off the shelf' parts and available (Orbit?) mechanics. I'll bet you can't get those bits any more, but the circuits will be similar to those in use. I'll bet RFJ will know which months/years it was...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Any instructions on how to build a radio control system from scratch?

You can probably find descriptions of the old "Galloping Ghost" and reed receivers - but the vacuum tubes and 45 volt batteries will be hard to find. Remember that the older systems were designed before FCC transmitting restrictions became so stringent. First you need to research what bands you can transmit on.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For what it's worth, building your own radio went out of style for good reason. Modern electronic manufacturing went out of style for good reason. Is this for a school project or just your own enjoyment?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good source for such information is the handbook available from ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) which is formulated for the USA but most of it should also be applicable for you in Switzerland. You can Google ARRL for sources and further info.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ACE used to have radio kits. I built a Silver 7 way back in the day. All you got was a box of bits and pieces with instructions on which part went where. I DO NOT regret the build. It took a while but was a fun project and quickly honed your soldering skills I still have the servos laying around and in fact hooked one up to my old JR X-347 and it worked like a champ!

Ken
Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first radio system was a Heath Kit 8 channel back in the late 70's. It was a great experience, but I would never want to do it again. In those days there were only something like 7 frequencies available and 3 or 4 were shared with surface R/C. Not only did you have to have an AMA but also a FCC license to operate.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:08 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i built a radio from heathkit years back. it was a three channel. with linier servos . it took me three weeks. everything worked when i finished too. heathkit is long gone. then i got smart and bought a kraft radio. i don't know about any kits now days............RON
Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"but I would never want to do it again. "

Don't know why not. Our first color TV was a Heathkit. Wife and older kids stuffed boards, I qc'd and soldered. Worked first time around:-)))))))))))))))))

Cost me as much as one off the floor, but I never had to pay any service calls.

Les
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''but I would never want to do it again. ''

Don't know why not. Our first color TV was a Heathkit. Wife and older kids stuffed boards, I qc'd and soldered. Worked first time around:-)))))))))))))))))

Cost me as much as one off the floor, but I never had to pay any service calls.

Les

Me too, except I was the "Kid". My dad and I built one when I was 12 and I stuffed most of the boards. Great experience, learned alot. TV worked great for many years. Instructions were so good, anyone could have built one. Maybe the ARF Mfr's should study an old heathkit instruction book!

Steve
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote]

Maybe the ARF Mfr's should study an old heathkit instruction book!

Steve
[/quote]

Or the ACE instruction book

You hit that nail on the head squarely!!!

Ken