Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Brushed to brushless motor conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Brushed to brushless motor conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Anssec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed to brushless motor conversion

Will shortly commence construction on an XB-35 flying wing from old AMA Model Aviation magazine plans. The original drawings call for the use of 4 Mabuchi "Silver Streak" brushed motors but I'd like to go with brushless. Anyone have any thoughts on what is a good brushless equivilent of the Mabuchi motor?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Brushed to brushless motor conversion

What are the specs on the plane? Span, weight and so on. Might not try to get an equivalent sized BL motor but a set to match the plane.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

That should give you 30 ounces running a 3s battery and a 8x5 APC prop. So with (4) of them running, that should give enough thrust?

Buzz.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Anssec

Thanks for your note. The span will be about 4 feet with a weight of about 48 ounces. Power is via 4, 3 blade 5.5" pusher props. THat being the case do your thoughts on motors still seem in the ballpark?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:13 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This one should be enough. It is out of stock right now.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma68-2205-3400kv.html

Buzz.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
johnwmears

hi i have the greatplanes slinger and i put a e-flite six series 2700 kv brushless motor in it and everytime i fly it the motor twists or spins in the carrying case or bed if you will. i have used epoxy to try and stop this but it still turns or spins and the zipp tie alone wont do it either. any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated. o and the prop im using is a speed 400  PLEASE HELP WITH ANY IDEAS  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Villa

Hi johnwmears
Pardon me if I have misunderstood you. If your motor is a brushless OUTRUNNER motor, then the outer case of the motor rotates, and the motor shaft is stationary. The prop is mounted on the rotating outer case. The motor comes with a mounting bracket on one end which in fact supports the motor shaft in a cantilever manner so that it does not rotate. Any of this make sense?