Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

MyHobbyStore, Retailing, & Giant Shark -Conflict of interest with RCM&E magazine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

MyHobbyStore, Retailing, & Giant Shark -Conflict of interest with RCM&E magazine

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 AM
DrMotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyHobbyStore, Retailing, & Giant Shark -Conflict of interest with RCM&E magazine

Wonder what other people think of this ...?

MyHobbyStore Ltd ( -the people who also run the "Modelflying.co.uk" website - http://www.modelflying.co.uk ) produce modelling magazines such as "RCM&E" and "Model Engineer".

At the same time, they are a commercial model plane, helicopter, model accessory, and radio retailer -see: http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/sector/3/model-aircraft

And now they have taken on the large "Giant Shark" commercial retailing operation -see: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/about.php

This, of course, causes a huge conflict of interest for RCM&E -they are part of the large MyHobbyStore commercial model retailing operation. How can they possibly review all sorts of modelling items, whilst at the same time remaining independent in any way ...?
-Surely, due to business principles, they will simply be forced into supporting all the retail items sold by their own commercial parent company, and criticising and putting down all items sold by other companies ...?

It seems to me, that any modelling magazine (and also any modelling website/forum such as "Modelflying.co.uk" ) -putting out supposedly "independent" reviews and opinions -should be entirely separate and totally independent from any commercial retailing operation.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:15 AM
DrMotor

Default RE: MyHobbyStore, Retailing, & Giant Shark -Conflict of interest with RCM&E magazine

And because the magazine RCM&E, and the modelling forum website "Modelflying.co.uk" are controlled and dictated to, by the overall MyHobbyStore organisation:

-They both simply become a promotional mouthpiece, the main objective being to sell items and products sold by the parent commercial organisation ... -and therefore make as much profit as possible, for My HobbyStore ...
-So is this what RCM&E and the "Modelflying.co.uk" website have now become -just a promotional vehicle, for modelling goods sold by the MyHobbyStore organisation ...?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:38 AM
DrMotor

Default RE: MyHobbyStore, Retailing, & Giant Shark -Conflict of interest with RCM&E magazine

By way of comparison: Take, for instance, the UK governent organisation "NICE" ( National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...cal_Excellence
-An organisation set up by the UK government, to make completely independent reviews of how a particular illness should be treated, and what medication should be used for each illness.
NICE could not possibly be sponsored by any commercial pharmaceutical company. And NICE could not possibly be part of any commercial organisation owned by a pharmaceutical company which also produces clinically used drugs. Very clearly, this would remove completely any possibility of NICE being independent and open-minded, and would stop NICE being impartial and objective, and having a lack of prejudice, when reviewing any medications to be used.
-Obviously, if NICE was part of a commercial organisation, they would be totally open to the criticism that all their reports and opinions are simply dictated by the commercial concerns of the overall organisation -and that the purpose of their reports was in reality to sell as many drugs, and make as much profit as possible, for the parent pharmaceutical company. This would make all their reports, reviews, and opinions -prejudiced and worthless.

-And it is exactly the same with the magazine, "RCM&E", and also with the website "Modelflying.co.uk". They are both part of the larger commercial organisation "MyHobbyStore Ltd" -which itself sells aeroplanes, helicopters, brushless motors, ESC's, Li-Po's, model accessories, and radio sets ( -both as the "MyHobbyStore Shop" and as "Giant Shark" ..). Both RCM&E and the Modelflying.co.uk website, will be dictated to and controlled by, the overall MyHobbyStore Ltd commercial organisation. They will not be able or allowed, to publish any articles, or allow any forum comments, that might in any way criticise or denigrate any of the products being sold commercially by MyHobbyStore or by GiantShark.

Therefore: It results clearly in the situation that, it is not possible for RCM&E, or for the website Modelflying.co.uk, to be in any way open-minded, impartial, objective, even-handed, or unbaised, or have a lack of prejudice, when publishing any article or making any forum post.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:26 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Deleted by author
Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM
DrMotor

THREADS STARTED ON: MODELFLYING WEBSITE -WERE CLOSED DOWN ... !

Of interest: Two threads were started on a very similar topic to this one, on the Modelflying.co.uk website -and these threads clearly had very great public interest ... ( -there were 20 replies in the first 15 mins ...)
-The threads were both not just closed down, but actually deleted from the website (!) -probably by "The Great Dictator" ( i.e. the "assistant editor" of RCM&E, who appears to "moderate" this Modelflying website ...)
-This "moderating" person appears to be extremely autocratic and despotic, and suppresses all threads and deletes all posts which might in any way criticise Giant Shark, RCM&E or Modelflying ...

-Seems to operate like a communist dictatorship ... -Any opinions that differ from the "ruling party" are violently destroyed ...

see: For 2 threads about Giant Shark, closed down by "The Great Dictator", and he also deleted many interesting and relevant posts from these threads:
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=68617
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=68757

The very popular thread titled: "MyHobbyStore, & Giant Shark -Conflict of interest" - http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...s.asp?th=69013
-was deleted totally from the website, by "The Great Dictator" ...
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM
alexwishaw

It seems to me, thatany[/i]modelling magazine (and alsoany[/i]modelling website/forum such as "Modelflying.co.uk" ) -putting out supposedly "independent" reviews and opinions -should be entirely separate and totally independent from any commercial retailing operation.
This maybe the case, however I do not understand why exacatly what you attempting to prove Professor.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 AM
jetmech05

I have never seen a bad review of any product in any magazine,,,even though there have been reviews of aircraft that eveyone knows are P. O. S. I guess it's the nature of the beast.
You will never ever see a bad review of a company product in a mag owned by the same company.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 AM
alexwishaw

You are right jetmach05.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You are, of course, correct Professor1 that this is a clear conflict of interest. However, as noted by others above, if you are expecting to get honest and unbiased reviews of any product from any magazine then you will most certainly be disappointed. The magazines are the last place I look to for any sort of information regarding a purchase I may be considering. This forum and others like it offer a much better option in my opinion.