Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

flying in a dusty environment

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

flying in a dusty environment

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 03:49 AM
60degreecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying in a dusty environment

Hello

I fly from a dusty field and was wondering if I should do anything special to the engine during or after a flight.

By dusty I mean while taking off today, I could see a noticable rooster tail behind the plane. When I clean it at the end of the day, the muffler always has a brown dust/oil misture caked on it, and the right(muffler side) leading edges are black with oil and dirt.

About 15 years ago I used to fly from this same field and it never bothered me, but it is very dirty and seeing the air filter on an nitro car's carb got me thinking if I am putting my engine at risk.

Is this something to be concerned about?

I like the area to fly from. No trees anywhere, a couple of gentle hills, no power lines, an area the size of a scale salt flat to land on.

Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:44 AM
Jim C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flying in a dusty environment

if it concerns you greatly, get an old pair of pantyhose from your wife/girlfriend/mistress etc. and cut a piece to fit over the carb and secure with small rubberband. but be aware... if it is going in there, it will become blocked and you will have a deadstick... dont know what plane your flying so that is something to consider. i would have to see to make an accurate decision, but i wouldnt think your getting much in the carb if any.. just flush it with fuel when your done.. if your really worried about it.