Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing tube slop

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wing tube slop

What do you use to tighten up the slop/play in a carbon fiber wing tube? I have a wing tube that has a small amount of play in it and not quite to my satisfaction. I like my wing tubes to have a slight resistance when I put them in.

The tube in question has enough play that you can move it up and down in the fuse and in the wings. I was wondering if some thin epoxy on the sleeves might do the trick or if there is another method that is better. I read somewhere that folks put tape on them, but that is not something that I would want to do. I prefer a better long term solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Wing tube slop

I would use finishing resin, takes a while to dry so you can put a very thin, even coat on it.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does it slide in to? If the "female" tubeinside the wingisrolled sheet balsa or fiber tube you can wax the "male" wing tube with a hard wax (or mold release wax) and then wipe on epoxy on the last four inches nearest the wing root and slide it into the wing. Don't do the whole tube or it will be too tight to get in and out (especially as temperature changes). Have paper towels dampened with alcohol handy to wipe up the excess. DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME unless you favor a one piece wing.

If the tube in the wing is also carbon fiber or is alumiinum I wouldn't try the above. I'd go with tape.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM
KitBuilder

I have used long tin strips off tape lengthwise on male piece, adding add'l as needed.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks for the tips. The tube goes into a material that is like fiberglassing cloth. I mixed up some epoxy and thinned it out and took my finger and smoothed it around the inside of the sleeve. It seems like it will work really well if the epoxy holds up for that type of application. The fit into the wings is fine, just the fuse. I think I have it now. They may have just over sanded the fuse sleeve is my thoughts.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

I have used long tin strips off tape lengthwise on male piece, adding add'l as needed.

yep...just run a piece of tape down the length of the tube.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 AM
startazz

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

+1
on the answer above.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Tape on the tube, and/or drops of thin CA on the phenolic tube.