Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: If you could only have FIVE airplanes, what would they be?

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Agree with that.Â* I currently have fiveÂ*ready to fly at a moment's notice and thee others either needing completion or rebuild.Â* I wonder how many models there are that sit longer than two years unflownÂ*or will never fly again in some folk's counts.
    I can say at least 2 out of 7 of my models spent more than a year on the bench [:@]

And these are ARF's [:'(]

I know, I am a slacker.......too many hobbies

I have gas cars that have sat for 2 years as well
    Nitro - Tom
    General R/C Addict

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 6 planes and I cannot imagine having more than that.
    First, I do not have space, and with 6 planes working, it's hard to fly each every other week.
    I don't like having a plane sitting for a month.
    I have decided not to buy any engine. This way, every time I have a crash, I order a new one with same engine.
    I have 5 or 6 a very good number to enjoy the hobby.
    Want a new plane? Then, wait until you crash one. At least, that's my way.

What\'\'s rudder?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't like having too much "stuff", either.

I managed to reduce my fleet to 3 models ... and stuck to this for a year or so.

Then, I was given several nice models; too good to refuse. Now, the fleet has crept up 7, in flying condition. Too many, really ... but which do I get rid of?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1. 50cc Cap 232
    2. 50cc Extra 330
    3. Habu 32
    4. Stryker F27Q
    5. Parkzone P47
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we are stoned...immaculate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Two good questions have come up in connection with this "if you could only have 5 airplanes" discussion. Scirocco 14 wonders "how someone with 30 airplanes maintains them flight ready?", and Charlie P. wonders "how many models sit for longer than 2 years or will never fly again yet remain in that person's hanger count?". Both good points that I will try to answer. Earlier in this thread when I listed my favorite 5 airplanes I bragged that I had 36 airplanes ready to fly in my out of control hanger. So let's cut thru the bragging B.S. and get the true count. I exaggerated by 1 airplane, I really only have 35 RTF planes. I stole the servos and ESC from one electric park flyer (a Wattage PT-19) to put in a 2m electric sailplane I assembled last year. Accurate count....7 electrics,and 29 glow powered planes RTF, some kit built and some ARF's. Janurary and February are spent battery cycling on my Accu-cycle+, each plane getting a small piece of colored tape stuck to it's rudder after cycling(different color each year). I pull the tape off after the plane gets flown, so mutiple pieces of colored tape on a rudder tells me how long since it's been flown and yes that happens. Not every plane gets flown every year! This winter I had 15 planes that had not been flown in 2-3 yrs. I vowed to fix that. So far this yr I have flown 11 of those 15 shelf queens + a number of the others. I will get every RTF plane in the air this year, but yea, it ain't easy!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I fly with a guy who has a ridiculous number of airplanes - something like 40 or 50. He likes to build and has been at it for many years! He has a few models he flys on a regular basis and keeps ready to go. Others he flys less often - maybe a model sits for a year or two between flights. When he wants to fly one he spends a few hours going over it. He only has a few battery packs, so he has to move one into the plane. Sometimes he has to replace fuel lines or something else.

I tend to thin my hangar out on a regular basis by crashing. So I only have about 3 that are flyable right now, one in need of major post-crash repair, and two kits on the bench.

I want to be just like him when I grow up.

Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/3 HP 18, 1/4 J-3 on floats, 1/4 Gee Bee R-1, 1/4 Sopwith Triplane and 1/3 Keith Rider 'Firecracker'.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JP,

A lot of people are like you, and so am I. Crashing is very helpful to get the new plane we wanted.
    This week for Father's Day, I am getting a new one since I crashed a plane I hated (not on purpose of course).
    As I said earlier, best way to go is to stop buying new engines.
    So each crash is an opportunity to find a new home for the engine.
    Kind of of a reincarnation for us common mortals who crash.

What\'\'s rudder?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

5 planes?

Spacewalker 1/3, PT-19 1/5, AT-6 1/5, P-51, ME 109

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too can't see how anyone really flies more than 5-6 planes. It looks from the explanations that most don't, but there is some pleasure derived from simply having them I suppose. My 5 would be my Kaos, Phaeton biplane, my H9 Cub I'm in the process of totally redoing with some scale detailing, Parkzone Stryker, and my Tarot 450 helicopter. If the heli is a bonus I also keep a trainer ready to fly but that's not so much for my own enjoyment as much as to give back to the hobby.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interesting to read all the comments, since I started this thread. I think that over time, our 'favorites' list will evolve as we get exposed to new aircraft, new fellow flyers, our skills improve, etc.

Right now, i have the following in my hangar:

SIG 4*Star 40 - love this plane. Just flies good.
    Ultra Sport 40 - still exploring the capabilities of this classic sport plane.
    Kyosho PT-19 ARF. Fun to fly, a little heavy so it's limited to what it can do.
    GP Slow Poke 15 - cool looking little plane, but as my skills improve it seems a little underwhelming since it's just a 3-channel.
    Modeltech Magic - love ripping up the skies with this fun fly maniac!
    Craft-Air Scout 15 - built this from an old kit. Decent little low-wing trainer/sport plane. Can fly forever on few ounces of fuel w/ the Fox .15 engine on it.

Right now I'm building a 4*Star 20EP, exploring the world of electric powered aircraft. Should be done for spring.

I need to replace my Carl Goldberg Cub, everyone should own a Cub. Lost mine to a non-flying incident in the pits. The wind picked it up off of the starter stand and slammed it to the ground, causing significant damage that really wasn't worth repairing. I'll build another soon!

Thanks for the responses!

Mark
    Mark C.
    Etowah RC Flying Club, Etowah, NC
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #96

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would always have a 1/4 scale Cub BUSA or Sig and have a set of floats for it , Then a Goldberg Tiger 60 with a few mods , and a trainer ,probably a LT40 and it too set up with floats and wheels , then a big 1/3 scale BUSA Super Cub set up with floats , and maybe a warbird of somesort,something that is easy to fly , A pup or something like that.. Only having five is just not gonna happen though...I need backups for my backups if you know what I mean...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Limited to five only, tough question! I'm choosing from my current stable:

1. 50cc AW Ultimate 20-300 for my 50cc fun
    2. Phoenix Funstar with OS52FS for fun flys and all around go to plane in all kinds of weather
    3. Modeltech P-47 with OS91SurpassII for warbird fun, but I would replace it with a 30cc WWII warbird
    4. Toledo Special with Saito 82 for high wing fooling around
    5. Giles 202 with OS160FX for pattern flying

Luckily I am one of the ninnies with about 15 planes so I get to fly my other planes too, some of which have overlapping purposes: Intruder for pattern, Imagine 50 for pattern and fun fly, Stinger II for low altitude high speed antics, Sbach 342 for 30cc 3D'ish and pattern, Shoestring 60 for more low passes, Showtime electric to show I can fly with electrons, Apache for DLG flying, CG Ultimate 10-300 as proof I once built kits, Yak 54 with 0S 120Surpass III for slow speed aerobatics, and T-28 for fun with flaps. Recently realized I do have space issues, so sold a Shoestring 46 and a 50cc Extra 330L. I do fly all the planes each year at least several times...I am retired and can fly just about all year round where I live due to fairly mild Winters. Prior to retiring 6 years ago, I had 3 flyable planes. Now I am building and flying as many planes as I want to. Happy Landings to all of you. Jon
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood #01
    Club Saito #707
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #97

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My hanger will fluctuate by a plane or two because I like to tinker with one and sell one, etc. I maintain a low number of planes because I do not like planes that sit around on shelves and never fly them. An extra plane of your favorite size is good in case you have to do some repair work. That way you are not limited.

If I have a plane shelf-sitting for a season and don't fly it, chances are I will sell it as I think that does not make good use of my planes and puts cash back in the "kitty" I like the gassers the best and especially the 30cc size as they are easy to haul and fly great. I keep a couple smaller nitro planes for Funfly events. When my hanger gets over 6-7 planes I usually get one ready for a sale. Not one season goes by that I don't fly all my planes, with the exception of one that might be NIB.

This past year I increased by two planes so I sold off two planes. If I build a plane during the winter, I will usually sell one in Spring. I could buy more planes but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

1. Extreme Flight Extra 300 88" DL 50cc
    2. GoldWing Extra 330L 73" DLE 30cc
    3. Precision Hobby Products Edge 540T 74" DLE 30cc
    4. Revolver 70 (NIB - might build, might sell, haven't decided yet)
    5. Hangar 9 Twist 40 OS 55 AX
    6. Hangar 9 Pulse 40 OS 55 AX
    7. Hangar 9 Alpha 40 Evo 45 (first trainer and used to train others when needed)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Decathlon; pattern plane (Xigirs or Integral); Bonanza (or other general aviation plane) with lights/flaps/retracts/etc; Extra; Pitts Model 12.
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

5 Sig Astrohogs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deleted!!!!
    Greg Wright
    Not a Team Horizon member/ But would love to be one!!!!!!!!!!!! BVM Jets/Jetcat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

P-47, Corsair, Yak54, BTE Venture 60 & MSX-R
    Best regards,
    Ed

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #64

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like to diversify my flying skills, but I still need a warbird, and a golden era. I am going to build a Jug, and for now the hog Bipe fits the golden era role

1.  SIG Hog Bipe, all around best sport plane that I have flown
    2. Goldberg Chipmonk, makes great lines
    3. GP Extra 300 SP, with a saito 91
    4. GP viper 500, nothing like going over 100mph with a model
    5. Electric foam combat wing, for club combat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 5 would be:

In no particular order

1. GWS Slow Stick. brushless but otherwise stock.
    2. Easy Star. brushless and ailerons.
    3. Avistar. OS 46, no dyhedral, flaps.
    4. Classic Pattern. 60 size glow with pipe, retracts, whole 9 yards.
    5. Classic Thermal glider. Gentle Lady, BoT, Sophisticated Lady.

This gives me something to fly at home, something to keep in car for roadside urges, something to warm up on at the field, something haul A with at the field and something to lay in a hammoc with and fly at the field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I keep 10 working planes, when I destroy one I replace. I like them all
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skip in sideways, a glass of Malbec in one hand and chocolate in the other. Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming " Woo Woo, what a ride"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have 11 ready to fly, of those 11 my favorites are My Chipmunk EP, Super Skybolt, TF Cessna 182, TF F4U Corsair,Aeroworks Edge and my Midwest Super Stearman.
    Since five is an odd number I have to add the Ultra Sport 60 as my sixth.

Tom
    \"Where there\'\'s a WILL, There\'\'s a WAY\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: P47Tbolt

I am pretty happy with what I have now.

1-Comp Arf 2.3m DLE-55
    2-H9 Extra 260 27% FTL-45 (sold in Perry)
    3-GP Extra 300 Patty Wagstaff FTL-45 (may be sold to purchase servos)(sold)
    4-H9 Ultra Stick 60 Saito Golden Knight 91
    5-GP Escapade Saito 82

Rebuilding a Wildhare Edge 540 50cc V1 a friend gave me.
    need to purchase servos.
    New list after selling and buying.

1-2.3 Comp Arf DLE-55
    2-Wildhare Edge 540 Flys great after rebuild(servos purchased from sale of Patty)
    3-H9 Ultra Stick 60 Saito Golden Knight 91
    4-Twisted Hobbbies Extra Slick(got the Extra instead of the Crack Yak,everyone has one)
    5-GP Escapade Saito 82(going to move engine and servos to a H9 Katana 50 NIB for $100.00)
    rebuilding a Wild Hare Sukhio 50cc //Honda theme //Red Lion 58cc engine//Savox servos
    Today is the Tomorrow you worried
    about Yesterday.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1400 mm warbirds F4U Corsair, BF109 Messerschmitt, Japanese Zero, Great Planes Escapade, and Horizon Hobby DHC Beaver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check your Katana real close, I purchased one for $95.00 and put a Saito 91 on it. First flight went perfect, second not so good. Right wing folded up just past the wing tube, I don't have to say more as to where it went.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skip in sideways, a glass of Malbec in one hand and chocolate in the other. Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming " Woo Woo, what a ride"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast