Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Two O.S. 61 FX Engines Went Bad On The Same Day!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Two O.S. 61 FX Engines Went Bad On The Same Day!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 AM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two O.S. 61 FX Engines Went Bad On The Same Day!

Iown two O.S. 61 FXEngines. They are identical in every way except for age. In both engines the same O-ring went bad. One of the two engines is only a year old. What I can't figure out is what caused both of these Engines O-rings to fail. I've been a proud owner of O.S. Engines ever since 1996, and have never had an O-ring to fail. I own an O.S. 40 SF Max Engine, and it still runs fine. The O-rings go on the Needle Holder. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCR36&P=PU

Additional Information:

The flying season just started for me. I've been taking my airplanes out of storage, and checking them over. The other day, Itook one airplane out and started the engine. Idid some run tests. Checked the high speed needle valve, and the idle. Everything seemed to be running right. The next day, Itook the same plane out for my first flight of the season. Iflew for about 10 minutes, and brought the plane down for a landing. On the first landing approach the Engine stopped. After retrieving the airplane, Idid some more engine tests. Ifound that the Engine died shortly after Idling it. After Itried to readjust the Carburetor, and couldn't solve the issue, Itried other glow plugs etc. Finally Iended up taking the engine out of the airplane and taking the Carburetor apart. That is when Idiscovered the bad O-ring. It appeared that a part of it just broke off. Itook the Needle Holder and Needle out my old engine, and put it on the new one. Iput theengine back on the airplane started testing it. Once again it was giving me the same problems. Finally Itook that Engine out the airplane, and got my old engine and put it on the same plane. Iput the needle valve etc back into the old engine, and this time Icouldn't even get the thing to run. At this point Istarted to wonder about the tank. I did another tank test, and found no leaks. I finally took the Engine back off the plane and took it's carburetor etc apart. Inoticed that the same O-ring went bad.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Two O.S. 61 FX Engines Went Bad On The Same Day!

Just thinking out loud ...

Can the fuel around the o-ring seize the o-ring over winter storage? If so, might a movement of the high speed needle "tear" the o-ring causing an air leak?

I have several that haven't been worked out this year. However, I store my planes in a "nose up" attitude - maybe draining any fuel back into the tank.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

Can the fuel around the o-ring seize the o-ring over winter storage? If so, might a movement of the high speed needle ''tear'' the o-ring causing an air leak?

I have several that haven't been worked out this year. However, I store my planes in a ''nose up'' attitude - maybe draining any fuel back into the tank.

It can happen. If you are running the engine with long extension wires on the needel valve they will vibrate and kill the O-ring on the NV faster then normal too. The NV can pinch the O-ring and tear it when installing the NV. O-rings get hard with age and become brittle. I keep complete gasket sets on hand for my YS engines and the sets come with all the replacement O-rings. The sets are for rebuilding the engine but O-ring replacement happens a lot more often then rebuilds. Don't be afraid to check things out at the beginning of the season and replace a few of the cheap parts. OS sells O-rings and gasket sets too.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 PM
gregoryshock

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

Can the fuel around the o-ring seize the o-ring over winter storage? If so, might a movement of the high speed needle ''tear'' the o-ring causing an air leak?

I have several that haven't been worked out this year. However, I store my planes in a ''nose up'' attitude - maybe draining any fuel back into the tank.

It can happen. If you are running the engine with long extension wires on the needel valve they will vibrate and kill the O-ring on the NV faster then normal too. The NV can pinch the O-ring and tear it when installing the NV. O-rings get hard with age and become brittle. I keep complete gasket sets on hand for my YS engines and the sets come with all the replacement O-rings. The sets are for rebuilding the engine but O-ring replacement happens a lot more often then rebuilds. Don't be afraid to check things out at the beginning of the season and replace a few of the cheap parts. OS sells O-rings and gasket sets too.

I Always put air tool oil in my Engines and store them nose down. That way the oil runs into and out the bearing. I use air tool oil because Harry Higley recommends it in his book “All About Engines”. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL802

This is the first time I have ever had to replace a part on one of my Engines. Is it cheaper to buy the O-ring and Gasket Set? I would have considered buying them that way if I would have seen it sold that way on towerhobbies.com. Can you buy them as a set from towerhobbies or do you haft to go straight through O.S.?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM
jetmech05

Just a thought here...not all O rings like all cleaners, oil etc. Have you used some off brand oil or cleaner that has caused the o ring to swell and it broke while you were adjusting the needle or get brittle and break?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:57 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use after run oil (donated by a glow-gone-electric club member 5 years ago) as my assembly oil & preservation oil.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Gray Beard

The O-rings are neoprene ande not effected by tool oil or after run oil. Tower used to sell the gasket kits and O-rings but I haven't had to order any in years. If you go into the glow engine forum then to the OS support you can ask Bill Baxter directly. Any time I have a problem or question about OS products I ask Bill!!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

It can happen. If you are running the engine with long extension wires on the needel valve they will vibrate and kill the O-ring on the NV faster then normal too.

This does not occur as it may have in the past with the OS AX series engines which all now come with that wonderful new carb and the severe slant to the rear needle and a cool three and a half inch cable flex extension.

This works so well that I leave them all full length needed or not and its even safer than the rear needle types.

Just a thought, notice the long stock OS extensions:

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69650.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1771125  
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Gray Beard

FX, used to buy those long NVs for my U-controls as a kid, still have a couple on some old McCoys or Vecos.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM
gregoryshock

JohnGilmore, and jetmech05  - My Problem isn't with the O-Ring around the Needle. My problem is with the O-Ring around the  Needle Holder.  The O-Ring on the Needle Valve and the O-Ring on the Needle Holder are two different sizes.

Gray Beard - Thank you for your information.   I posted a question to Bill. 
Old 06-11-2012, 11:29 AM
JohnBuckner

Gregoryshock you said in another post somewhere that the O ring in partucular "became embrittled and broke" and that it was only a year old on one of the engines.

This begs the question and forgive me but it must be asked as this would be most unusual since I have around six .61 FX's for some years now I have never even had occassion to remove the needle seat:

Did this occur all on its own or did this happen when you pulled the seat and disturbed the O ring.

John
Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM
gregoryshock

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Gregoryshock you said in another post somewhere that the O ring in partucular "became embrittled and broke" and that it was only a year old on one of the engines.

This begs the question and forgive me but it must be asked as this would be most unusual since I have around six .61 FX's for some years now I have never even had occassion to remove the needle seat:

Did this occur all on its own or did this happen when you pulled the seat and disturbed the O ring.

John

John, O.S. Made that part removable so that you can change the needle valve from Horizontal to Vertical. My 2 O.S. Engines came with the needles in the Vertical position, and Ihad to put them in the Horizontal position. This is so that the Engines could fit onto my models. Fast Forward to now, the only reason the needle valve holder was removed, was because the engine wasn't running right. Ifelt that I had to remove this part for cleaning. Ithink it might be possible to clean things up without removing this part. Ithink since O.S. Made this part changeable on purpose, simply removing this and putting it back in should not tear an O-Ring.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM
JohnBuckner

Has putting a 'new' O ring in the needle seat cured your running problems?

John
Old 06-12-2012, 12:09 AM
gregoryshock

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Has putting a 'new' O ring in the needle seat cured your running problems?

John
Iwish I could answer this question. But I won't know until my order arrives. Some here might call me cheap for saying this. But Ithink after you figure in the shipping cost they are expensive, and I hope Inever haft to replace them again. That is why Istarted this post. Iwanted to figure out what caused these O-Rings to turn hard. Just like you, Ihave never had this happen before. These Engines are not that old, and Ihaven't changed anything. Istill use the same type and make of fuel. I still use the same after run oil. I still store my engines in the same way. I've been doing everything the same as I did 16 years ago.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gregoryshock

Some here might call me cheap for saying this. But I think after you figure in the shipping cost they are expensive, and I hope I never haft to replace them again.
Cheap is ok. Otherwise we're both in trouble.

Most hardware stores have huge assortments of O-rings. They're dirt cheap compared to the ones sold as replacement parts for anything. Take your new expensive ones to the hardware and compare. You may have to buy a pack of 4, but trust me, they'll be cheaper than the one you get shipped from Tower.

A year or so I had a similar failure and took the carb to the hardware store and found the ring that fit. Think it was 4/$3.50 or somesuch.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Radio Shack had some O-rings too.

The Ace Hardware near my house had a box of very small rings, iirc. The Lowes closest to the house has a wall back in plumbing with them in small plastic bags. I think Ace had more in 1/10 the area.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM
gregoryshock

The O-Rings came in the mail.  I put them on the Engines, and test ran them.  Both are Running without problems.