Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Castor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castor Oil

I want to add some castor oil to my fuel. I have read blurbs about baker's castor, degummed castor, cold pressed castor, on and on forever. What should I look for in castor oil to add to my fuel? Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 AM
huck1199

Default RE: Castor Oil

I use Benol castor from Tower Hobbies.  I would be carefull using drugstore or food grade castor but; I know many say it is OK to use this stuff but I choose not to.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pharmaceutical or "first press".  That's the best and based on the initial squeezing of the beans.  The mush is then pressed again, with or without chemicals added to get the remaining oils.  Sig sells a pure first press castor oil for modelers. 

The local WalMart occasionally has 6 oz bottles for $1.89 or so (I see $2.64 when I Google it currently).  Make sure you use 100% with no additives.

Klotz also sells one for racing motorcycles that is the right stuff.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy pint bottles of Klotz and most motor cycle shops. That is where I get mine.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:53 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sometimes the drug store kind has sugar added to make kids a little more willing to swallow it. So if you go that route read the ingredients on the bottle.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SIG for the good stuff. I use the Klotz blended oil wsith only 20% of the blend being Castor. Just adding castor is a waste of time when you can buy fuel with the blend you need. When Power Master closed there doors allI could get was Wild Cat with only a 16% blended oil, I like the Poaer Master 18% blended so I added 2 ounces of the Klotz blend to the Wild Cat, that worked very well. Now that 18% POwer Master isw back I don't bother adding more oil. When I was blending my own FAI fuel I used the SIG Castor. Hobby Town used to stock it in the store.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

We had a hobby shop about 25 miles from here that sold Sig fuel and I bought it when I could. The old man who owned that shop died and his kids have been fighting over whatever for several years now and the shop just sits with all the stock in it. But that is another story. For the last couple years I have been buying whatever I could find, but I have not found anything with castor already in it. I wish I could. However, I have no reservation about adding a couple ounces of castor to any fuel that is only 16 to 18% oil. If I can find the proper castor, I will go that way. I had an exchange of emails just today with a shop in West Plains, Mo. that is about 40 miles from here and they sell fuel with castor already in it. I did not ask what brand fuel it is, but I may go up there and get some.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 AM
mikeh251

I use the Klotz Benol castor oil. Made just for 2 cycle engines and works great. Available for good price and shipping online at either Advantage Hobby or Tower hobby. Local hobby store as well. I usually use the fuels that are mixed with Klotz oils at the factory, so I am basically just adding more of something that is already there. I also have the Klotz kl200 which is a 80/20 mix of synthetic and castor. This also blends with either gas or alcohol, but I use this kl200 stuff in my gas engines (buggy, chainsaw, leafblower and weedwhacker). They also have (synthetic only) oil for sleds with powervalves. I like all of the products and use them all. They are all red and all smell good. Remind me of racing mx when I was a young buck. Of course, only those guys BEHIND me could enjoy the smell!!! LOL. Back then there was this stuff called Castrol R that was "bean oil" and it smelled good too. They say the sense of smell is tied to memories more than our other senses? Maybe so, thats why I bring it up.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikeh251

I use the Klotz Benol castor oil. Made just for 2 cycle engines and works great. Available for good price and shipping online at either Advantage Hobby or Tower hobby. Local hobby store as well. I usually use the fuels that are mixed with Klotz oils at the factory, so I am basically just adding more of something that is already there. I also have the Klotz kl200 which is a 80/20 mix of synthetic and castor. This also blends with either gas or alcohol, but I use this kl200 stuff in my gas engines (buggy, chainsaw, leafblower and weedwhacker). They also have (synthetic only) oil for sleds with powervalves. I like all of the products and use them all. They are all red and all smell good. Remind me of racing mx when I was a young buck. Of course, only those guys BEHIND me could enjoy the smell!!! LOL. Back then there was this stuff called Castrol R that was ''bean oil'' and it smelled good too. They say the sense of smell is tied to memories more than our other senses? Maybe so, thats why I bring it up.
When I was still racing I used the Castor R Racing oil in the low end, good stuff and from what I understand you can still buy the straight racing bean oil.
It really does have a nice smell to it.