Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is this a good field box set?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is this a good field box set?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
DMalyuta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good field box set?

http://www.ebay.ch/itm/NEW-Hobbico-U...#ht_885wt_1130

Please give comments on the parts that this set has, and whether there are any major ones missing (apart from screwdrivers, etc. which I have)

Daniel.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
huck1199

Default RE: Is this a good field box set?

Most guys at our field use a hand held glow ignitor,  hand crank fuel pump and lipo powered starter motors.  We got tired of carying a heavy  tote box.  We carry spare parts in a plastic tackle box.  Tote boxes with a heavy 12 volt lead acid battery are on the way out.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's hard for those of us in the states to really say if something like that is any good, we don't know what you can and can't get. You see very few boxes like that at the field these days here. It's too easy for us to convert our starters to 18 volts and be power panel free, almost no one uses the panel these days. As huck said, you can use as hand pump for the fuel, a glow igniter for the plug and a battery installed on your starter. How you carry your tools and STUFF is up to you.
I carry way too much stuff to the field but guess who the guys come to when they need something.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
fledermaus

Speaking of LiPo powered engine starters - I have a 12V Torquemaster 90 starter that I have been running off a Pb/acid battery and I'd like to make an integrated battery pack for it. It only has to start engines in the 0.35 - 0.91 size range, no really big monsters.

Question: If I run it on a 4S (14.8 V) pack it should be ok, but what battery capacity should I aim for?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 PM
huck1199

4s will be fine. I run 2 parallel 3s 2200 on my acient Royal starter.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
DMalyuta

Gray Beard, you're right on the money- I could get a lipo-powered starter, but the thing would cost me double what this entire set off of ebay costs. Here is Switzerland, what you guys get for x dollars we get for 3x dollars- and with a much more limited choice. Searching for stuff you need when you have only one medium-sized local hobby store becomes an art. I am trule jealous of US guys because of this- you have everything!

Daniel.

P.S. Just how dangerous are lead acid batteries and what precautions should I take? I've done a fair bit of environmental chesmitry for exams recently, and it had scary stuff about lead and its health effects- going from stomach burns to cancer.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM
huck1199

Check out HobbyKing.com for your lipos, use the German warehouse (DE).
Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 PM
DMalyuta

AHa! Thanks for pointing out this site, huck! I might be getting some other stuff off of it, but can't find any tote box or starter that works on lipos, etc.

Daniel.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I;m going to move to a lipo for my starter. .you wont find a starter that works with lipos out of the box in terms of the connectors. You'll hve to put compatible ends on each side (battery and starter)

My gel cel recenlty died and im going to switch to a hand pump for fuel... keep my handheld glow starter and run my starter off a lipo. Wont need the power panel at that point either.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Gray Beard

Photos first
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39132.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1771578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97716.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1771579  
Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Gray Beard

All you need, need is a big word though. A starter, a glow driver and a can of fuel. However, this box is what I haul with me to the field. It's a rolling tool box and was needed for different fields I have flown at, not at the dry lake bed I fly on today. Everything is in that box and it weighs a ton!! I used to fly big events and you had to have a box full of stuff or be able to park close.
The needed items, all three of them. John Buckner came up with a battery pack from a place here called Harbor Freight for the starter. It converts the starter to an 18 volt and my starter now rolls over the 30cc DLE engines, {some times} the battery is a Nicad pack and cost between 10 and 12 dollars, the charger is a fast charger and costs 5 dollars. Pack number is 67029 and the charger number is 67031. So, you can see it doesn't cost a bunch in the states, the glow driver with a charger and battery is about $20.00 and I gave $10.00 for the hand pump on the free can.
Buying the complete package may be your best bet, all it requires are the big three items. I do use the power panel in the winter when my engines are a b it harder to start so it could be a good thing for you. It puts out more power then the little glow stick but requires a 12 volt battery. I see one is included in that box but they need replacing about every year or so.
Gene
WOW, posted two photos and a quick post without getting a time out or error 500!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
llindsey1965

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont need the power box as i use gas engines  have a hand pump and carry my spare parts in a plastic tote box  , i use to use hand glow packs no need for power panel and always started engines with a chicken stick or battery starter remote with its own battery  that way you dont have to tug and tote those heavy flight boxes    anyway just my 2 c worth
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you put 4s on a starter you won't think about anything else! One of the best things I ever did.
I also split a good cell of a semi puffed pack and made a lipo igniter...Wow what a great thing! I charge both about 3 times a year and they always work.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Gray Beard

All my glow engines are 4 strokes except one. Most of them will hand start really easily during the summer but I still like a starter. Especially for that day they decide not to start so easily! It happens. I also fly with gas and most the time they too are easy to hand start. I rebuilt a couple of carbs this last year and they didn't want to draw gas right away so I borrowed a converted drill and they lit right up, the starter was a huge help!!
In the cold temps of Sweden I'm thinking a hot glow driver and an electric starter are something I would want to have in my flight box. I have a fuel can and an electric pump in my flight box and love the electric pump. Iuse the bigger four strokes and have big fuel tanks, I don't like hand pumping my fuel. But I have the hand crank pump too. Try not to use it but I have it.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 AM
llindsey1965

GB i dont like using electric pumps on my gas , just my choice , i use hand crank pump i too have large capacity tanks for my 50 cc 80cc and 150cc engines , and electric starters i dont like cause if you hydraulic you bend a rod , like i said it is my preference , i bent a couple of rods when i flew nitro , went to gas 1) fuel is cheaper 2) easy to crank 3) readily aviable power 4) less of a mess to clean up 5) more power 6) even and smooth power transitions 7) plugs last longer than glow plugs 8) less maintianance 9) great deep sounds 10) good idle
Old 06-13-2012, 05:39 AM
fledermaus

ORIGINAL: DMalyuta
P.S. Just how dangerous are lead acid batteries and what precautions should I take? I've done a fair bit of environmental chesmitry for exams recently, and it had scary stuff about lead and its health effects- going from stomach burns to cancer.
Don't worry about the contents of the lead acid battery UNLESS you foolishly try to cut it open. The contents won't jump out of the casing of the battery and bite you.

Lead is indeed toxic, but it has to get inside you in order to affect you. If you don't expose yourself (or others), it won't hurt you (or others). You can handle lead metal without any hazard, but you have to avoid ingesting it - for example, indoor gun ranges often have microscopic lead dust in the air that people can inhale. That's not good. BUT: your starter battery should not produce any lead dust.

The acid gel in the battery can indeed cause skin burns, but again only if it contacts your skin. Don't break open the battery.

And, when the battery is dead, take it to someplace that can recover the lead and dispose of it properly, don't just throw it in the trash.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 AM
countilaw

ORIGINAL: DMalyuta

AHa! Thanks for pointing out this site, huck! I might be getting some other stuff off of it, but can't find any tote box or starter that works on lipos, etc.

Daniel.

Before running to this site and spending a lot of money, do your research. There are thousands of complaints against them.

Check RC truth dot com in the Hobby King section. or Check the vender section of the other site.

Frank

Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I love wood flight boxes. It does get heavy after you add a gallon of fuel and the big battery for the panel, other than that I have everything I need in that flight box to do any repairs at the field and not have to go home. I will post a picture of mine when I get home.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I think that is a good Starter setup. Now it depends on what engines you want to use in the future and you will get a different box.
The lead acid battery here is sealed and safe to use. The acid is more of a health risk, but it is contained and you had to use excessive force to get the battery to break open.
I have a huge box on wheels with a small car battery, this provides enough amps to run the starter for the bigger gassers and I charge in only 2-3 times a year.
It also hold all kind of tools and spare parts, since the field is 40 minutes away I don't want to run home to get some screw, servo, battery if needed.
Every rc pilot I've seen has a field setup, you'll get lots of different opinions here.
I have bought from this seller on e-Bay and would do it again.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

If your a member of a local club, ask around. You will probably be able to find some of that stuff second hand cheap.

I just did built my own self-powered starter motor using an 18volt battery from harbor Fright. Works GREAT and as i dont fly electric, i dont have a lipo charger.

A simple plastic tool box from home Depot or the like will serve as a cheap flight box, or even a small crate lined with heavy cardboard or wood.

Bill S.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
jessiej

[/quote]

My cars, motorcycles, boats, lawn mowers, farm equipment and model starters have used lead-acid batteries all my life and I have never had any accident with them. With a bit of effort, however it would be possible to get an acid burn or even a hydrogen explosion.

jess
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

old technology today.

I would use any 12 volt gel cell over the old style lead acid because the gel cell can be mounted upside down and not leak.

Also, it will last a lot longer, and its not that much more expensive.

Bill S.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent choice. Don't listen to all the BS being posted.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

GB i dont like using electric pumps on my gas , just my choice , i use hand crank pump i too have large capacity tanks for my 50 cc 80cc and 150cc engines , and electric starters i dont like cause if you hydraulic you bend a rod , like i said it is my preference , i bent a couple of rods when i flew nitro , went to gas 1) fuel is cheaper 2) easy to crank 3) readily aviable power 4) less of a mess to clean up 5) more power 6) even and smooth power transitions 7) plugs last longer than glow plugs 8) less maintianance 9) great deep sounds 10) good idle
We are speaking to the OP and he is using a glow engine and cares less about gassers, I too hand crank my gas but the OP may want to know about electric pumps also. I wouldn't recomend one to him due to price and if you are only flying a couple of normal glow planes I find hand cranks just fine. {And Cheap}
I fly with a lot of people and most use an electric starter, to date I haven't seen an engine broken by one, Not in a lot of years anyway. After filling a tank the normal thing to do is hand flip the prop to make sure it isn't flooded. When the weather gets cold like, I don't know, maybe Switzerland, an electric stater could make starting an engine a big bunch easier? I know when it is in the high 20s and low 30s in Vegas my engines don't like to hand start very well. At 100+ therre is no problem.
A nice flight box like that with the items require could be a very nice thing to have?
I would do as Frank mentioned and do a back ground check on this site offering the box just to be safe.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: jessiej

My cars, motorcycles, boats, lawn mowers, farm equipment and model starters have used lead-acid batteries all my life and I have never had any accident with them. With a bit of effort, however it would be possible to get an acid burn or even a hydrogen explosion.

jess
[/quote]
Open the hood of your car, truck or check you motorcycle They all hae one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.