Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where can you buy O-Rings Small Enough for Our Engines?

Last week I wrote a thread about 2 O.S. Engines that had a bad O-Ring. You can read about it here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11113267/tm.htm

When one adds in the cost of shipping, these O-Rings seem over priced. Iwas wondering if there is any other place Icould go to buy O-Rings like these? OSMG7370 21281800 O-RING I VLV 6 8H7L7M US$3.29 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7370&search=Go

Before Iordered them, I went to True Value Hardware Store, and ACE Hardware Store, Neither place had them. I ordered them. However I still wanted to see if Icould find them locally. Iwent to Lowe's Home Improvement, Walmart, and Radio Shack. Does any of you have other suggestions?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Where can you buy O-Rings Small Enough for Our Engines?

Hi

Check Thunder Tiger engines. they have close to the same O-rings and they are cheaper. Or check a local commercial resource. There are places that specialize in orings, like hydraulic and air hose places.

Vince

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

have you tried here: http://www.amazonsupply.com/

Tim Schuy
    tschuy@comcast.net
    AMA #77316
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good news: LOTS of assortment

http://www.allorings.com/material_selection.htm

Bad news - order quantity.

Have an old hardware store nearby?  Or a small-engine repair shop?  They often have bins of small sized rings, pins, odd metric screws, etc.
    Charlie P. (NY) "Gravity is weak but persistant".

AMA 747089/IMAA 30723

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Be aware that O rings are made from various different type of elastomers, some are best suited for water, some for oils, some are more heat resistant,ect, very unlikely that you would find what you need in a hardware store.

Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go to Hercules .com they are located in Tampa,Florida and i purchase my o-rings from them and are cheap.They have all types.If that doesn't work for you go to Mcmaster carr.They have it also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harbor Freight. 225 nitrile "O" rings. Normally $6.99, but usually on sale for $3.99. Resistant to fuels, high temps, petroleum products, etc, etc. I use these in my glow engines without a problem. Even if you find the size you need at a hardware store you will pay dearly for them. This kit comes with many very small sizes which are hard to find. You can see the size chart on the box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/225-pie...ent-67677.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tacx

Harbor Freight. 225 nitrile ''O'' rings. Normally $6.99, but usually on sale for $3.99. Resistant to fuels, high temps, petroleum products, etc, etc. I use these in my glow engines without a problem. Even if you find the size you need at a hardware store you will pay dearly for them. This kit comes with many very small sizes which are hard to find. You can see the size chart on the box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/225-pie...ent-67677.html
    Harbor Freight.................What they sell is just a bunch of crap..................But some times it saves the day!

I love the place, and hate it at the same time.

You don\'\'t need a parachute to skydive.
    You only need a parachute to skydive again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fastenal has lots of O-rings.  We buy 1/4" to 6" and we get the material to make them over 10" for our work. A 1/4" o-ring from them is only 40 cents.  They sell  o-rings in all types of material.

Mail order or local stores carry them. Google them

Pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you really want to trust your investment to "foreign O rigs" that might cause the engine to fail in flight-possibly your plane as well ?

Bite the bullet like you did-Hope you bought more than 1 set of rings to offset the shipping cost. I've been in similar situations where the shipping was more than the product ordered and "rationalized" the purchase by buying several of the product.

Who knows, maybe you can help a fellow modeler who needs this O ring in the future >

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O rings don't generally cause a sudden engine failure. They go bad slowly, 99% of the time due to hardening up over the course of a couple of years, and the pilot starts noticing that the engine doesn't tune right anymore. You'd actually be amazed and how bad an o ring really can be and the engine still run fine.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

I prefer to buy the proper "O" ring, but when I'm stuck and want to go flying, I'll do what ever I have to to get in the air.

In a pinch for small "O" rings (such as needle valve) I've used fuel tubing sliced very carefully and thin with a razer blade.

I pick up different sizes fuel tubing whenever I find it - 1/2A tubing works well for very small "O" rings, but I also have regular and large tubing that I use for different areas on the carburettor if needed.

Hopefully this "trick" can get you by in a pinch, until your proper "O" ring arrives.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
    \"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!\" - Benjamin Franklin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Motorcycle shop...... We had a "kit" of o-rings for motorcycle and snowmobile carbs. Some very tiny to "bigger" o-rings in the kit. We sold them individually as needed when rebuilding carbs. IIRC the o-rings came from a supplier called "K&L". I've used them without problems in several engines.

Ken
    Sent from my Dry-Erase-Board

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mustangman177

Do you really want to trust your investment to "foreign O rigs" that might cause the engine to fail in flight-possibly your plane as well ?

What do you call "Foreign" o-rings???? Where did the ones on the carb originaiy come from? Hmmm, a foreign company called OS Engines?

I take it you don't know who or where they aremanufactured. Thrust me, OSdoes Not make o-rings......They buy them.

Pat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you to everyone that answered this thread.

When I first removed the needle valve holder, oras some call it “the valve seat” (I call it the needle valveholder because that is what towerhobbies calls it) I noticed that avery small piece of the O-Ring looked torn off. But dad and I failedto remove the nipples. Of course we he had to remove the nippleslater, but we didn't remove them the first time we tried to clean thecarb. Instead He just blew through them and felt they were clearenough. We tried swapping the needle valve holder with that of theother FX engine. After that didn't seem to help, we swapped engines,and put the valve holder back in the FX engine it came out of. Thistime the other engine wouldn't start at all. As we began to take thecarb on the second engine apart, we found that a small chunk of theneedle valve holder's O-Ring had lodged It's self into a nipple. Mycurrent conclusion is when I was flying the airplane, a small chunkof the faulty O-Ring let loose and lodged it's self into the nipplecausing the engine to stall. Hindsight we should have removed theNipples the first time. Then I would be a 100 percent sure that iswhat happened. The problem is, if my hypothesis is correct, thenthere is no way of detecting this before it actually happens, unlessof course you remove the needle valve assembly and look at theO-Ring. For, as long as the O-Ring is still sealing the needle valveadjustments will stay the same. After reading my thread to Bax, oneindividual posted that O.S. Indeed had some faulty O-Rings. I wishthat response was still there, but due to the rules in that thread itwas removed by the mod.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was guilty of posting in the OS forum and had the post deleted, ooops! I have had similar problems with needle valve O-rings on the OS engines over the past few years, swapped out with some old o-rings I acquired several years ago from hobby shop closing its door and the problem disappeared. First symptom I see with these poor quality o-rings(IMHO) is that it is VERY difficult to turn the needle valve in, a little drop of oil helps, but only for a short time. Have several OS engines, many years older than what I have now and never had an o-ring problem.

I check and read the OS forum on regular basis and have learned alot from it over the years, was annoyed to read the response that it was owner/operator error for the problem. Many of the problems they respond to is owner/operator, not the case here. If anybody from OS is listening, you guys have a problem with your o-ring supplier.