Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dubro Hinges

Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Uba Tracker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dubro Hinges

Hi everyone,

First time at RCU and am looking for some advice. I've just started building my second Phoenix Sbach 120 and I've decided to ditch the supplied CA hinges in favour of Dubro HD ones, the removable split pin style. Only problem is I've got some misalignment in one of the hinges and it'll need to be removed and replaced. Has anyone had experience in getting these puppies out - or rather, can it be done?

regards

Harry
Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Dubro Hinges

Slice the pieces flush (Dremel fiberflass-reenforced cut-off wheel or jewelers saw)and use a 1/16" bit to drill a series of holes where you want the new hinge. I use a soldering iron to make a trench where I want the new hinge to be and then clamp the control surface to the drill press platform to minimize drill "walk". If you're doing a non-removable tail stab you can make a jig that puts a flat bit of wood along the hinge centerline and carefully hand drill keeping the bit flat against the block,

The problem is always the balsa is less dense than the old hinge tab and the bit wants to take the easy route. Depending on the hinge lay-out it may be easier to slice off the old exposed pin channels and put the new hinge to either side of the stubs.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Kaos Rulz

Harry,

Welcome to RCU!
I agree with Charlie about going to one side or the other and drilling for a new hinge.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Uba Tracker

Thanks for the replies lads. The offending hinge half is an aileron and the stock where the hinge is housed is quite substantial so I could trench around it and mortise a new piece of balsa into the rebate and redo the hinge.
Cheers
Harry
Old 06-30-2012, 03:16 AM
tomfiorentino

I dont remember the author, but someone here on RCU gave a tip on using a hot soldering iron to melt the old pins out and then clean the hole up with a drill bit.

Tom