Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What Glue do you like to use to glue in gear boxes on Foamy's?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Glue do you like to use to glue in gear boxes on Foamy's?

This post is sort of a continuation of my post called "Parkflyer - Removing Landing Gear Caused the CG to Shift Back?" In my last comment I wrote:
"It looks like I will buying a new plane. Today I bought some new batteries for it. But the weather is too windy to fly the model. The hobby guy told me that the batteries should stored at 50% charge. I wanted to test out my plane, to see if the new battery would solve the problem. After charging the battery, I ran the motor for about 7 minutes, and the motor started squalling. Like it needed oil, so I shut it off. Then I ran it just a little more, and noticed the prop, looked like it was running in reverse. Then the prop stopped turning, but the motor still ran. After I cut the tape, to get into the gear box, I found out that the gears was no longer making contact. They don't look warn, but they don't mesh. Tomorrow I'm going to take the plane into the hobby shop to ask the guy what he thinks happened. (((shruggs)))"

I took the model into the hobby shop, so that the dealer could look at my problem. He had never seen anything like it before. He called Horizon Hobby and the man said that the gear box must not have been molded right. Today I received a new gear box. It seems to have soved the gear problem. However I'm not sure what glue I should use to glue it back in place. I know that there is foam safe CA glue, but I don't think I want to make this repair that PERMANENT. In case I should have to remove it again someday.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 AM
gregoryshock

Default RE: What Glue do you like to use to glue in gear boxes on Foamy's?

My Dad said I should use Elmer's Glue.  But what bothers me is the fact that they glued to the motor.  As far as I know Elmer's doesn't stick to metal.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glue itself is pretty permanent. I started using Gorilla glue on foam, it expands so you may need to cut the over flow off with a knife but it sticks to pretty much everything. I always test the glue on a piece of foam to make sure it is foam safe. So far the Gorilla glue has been OK but I would still test it on the foam to make sure it doesn't eat it away. Also, I would put some oil on the gears to make sure it didn't expand and stick in the gears so I had to carve it out. If in doubt then Elmer's but the Gorilla is strong stuff.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

I second gorrila glue
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM
gregoryshock

Thank you for your glue suggestions.  What about Canopy Glue?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gorilla glue will expand and get intio the gears. Don't ask. Use either contact glue, hot glue or RC56.

sp
Old 07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Gorilla glue all the time and have learned how to use it but it can expand on you and go places you don't want it to unless you know how to work with it. The Hot Glue Gun may be a better idea, it's used for a lot of things. I just tend to forget about it or I would use it more. It too will stick to metal. Good idea. If you don't have one then the dollar store or Harbor Freight has them. I stoled the one my wife bought a long time ago for the crafts she doesn't do any longer.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

For this plane get a hot melt glue gun and the white glue sticks that are rubberized, I think they call them caulk sticks. It is what they use to assemble these planes.

You can also use silicone sealer to mount the gear box. It allows it to flex in the foam, if you use a solid glue that doesn't flex, like CA , Epoxy or Gorilla glue, it can crack the foam under stress.  It is how I repaired my Corsair, T-28, and Apprentice when things broke. I have a tube of the red stuff so it looks funky, especially on my Apprentice which is all white foam.