Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale crop dusters?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Giant Scale crop dusters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Scale crop dusters?

A 1/3 scale aircraft would hold 1/27 the payload all things being about the same.

You should try the Siberian mosquitos!

I will now go back to my fantasy: flying a A-26 with twin Moki radials. I need that to clear my mind of those twelve quad-copters! ARRGGG!

Bedford
Old 07-18-2012, 01:08 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Aerial Mosquito Spraying is what I do for a living, and the products we use, there is NO WAY I would ever suggest anyone to "play in the fog". The stuff is very harmful if the wrong dosage is applied, and since they are all Restricted category pesticides, you have to be licensed to purchase and apply them, if not you could be hit with a huge fine and a felony charge.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here you go BeePee....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vfdhFYmmlo

It may not be an A26 but baby those twin 400 cc radials are just dynamite.

Here's the B25 they go in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5f8D...hannel&list=UL

Enjoy,

Bill
Old 07-18-2012, 04:24 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mosquitoes in Texas sometimes carry the Rocky Mountain Fever, which in some cases kills the person they bite/infect. So killing them here is to me an absolute necessity. But spraying a big enough area to keep them away from you would take a chunk of money and time, and a club doesn't usually have that to commit to that - unless one of the club members gets it and needs serious medical care - then the club will get more serious about it.

Ed
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Aerial Mosquito Spraying is what I do for a living,
Cool. What equipment do you fly? Do you spray to neuter, or kill? What chemicals? I hang around a place that does heavy lift and firefighting, here's one of their new toys. First one in the US.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73389.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1783156  
Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 AM
H5487

I grew up in Houston,Tx and lived there the first 35 years of my life. When I found out I was moving to Minnesota I knew there would be a lot of miseries, But I said "Hey, at least I'll be getting away from all the bugs! No way they can make it through the winter there eh?!" Duuuummb me....The Mosquitos are 10 times worse here!!!....10,000 lakes equals 10,000 giant mosquito nests! I guess the cold doesn't affect the eggs.
Todd,

You haven't seen mosquitoes until you've lived in the Alaskan bush. Holy crap, the ones up there have N-numbers on them!!!

Harvey
(A fellow Houstonian)
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM
70x7

Here in NC, they are quite small (maybe 3 times the size of a gnat)...however, in some ways, smaller is worse. They're harder to see, you don't feel a thing when they land on you, and they're hard to swat. There's something beneficial about having a large target.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Max_Power

I havent seen any fogging in Minnesota. What I have seen is a few Bell 47's (turbine conversions) that fly low over marshes and small ponds early in the season. I read in the paper that they drop corn which has a bacteria growing in it that eats the same microorganisms that the mosquito larve eat...effectively startving the larve to death before "Born". As a kid we also used that fogger oil (currently about $12/half gallon at hardware stores) we had a device that dropped a drip on the muffler of the lawnmower every few seconds as you mowed and did quite a good job, although neither that or the "Fogger trucks" fixed the issue long term.

Invertmast, maybe I should have used the tongue-in-cheek smiley when talking about playing in the fog. I would never reccomend someone TRY to maximize their exposure to a insecticide. Although my web searches do say most of these fog oils(especially the ones available to the common man, I'm sure what you spray is likely to be very different) are pyrethrin(flower oil) based or are considered largely safe for humans to be in close proximity to. The "Wrong Dosage" of almost ANYTHING can kill you. The labels on the oils at the hardware store were not very alarmist. I think I have "scraped by" as far as permanent physiological damage from the fog I was exposed to as a kid, But you may be on to something....I have noticed my rolls have never been very axial??[8D] Todd
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

They Fogged the city of Charlotte a few years ago.

Kind of scary seeing a crop dusting plane spraying the city.

You know you see some crazy conspiracy theorist on the net talking about "Chem Trails" then
you walk out your front door in the city and get sprayed by a crop duster.

"They" say not to worry though the chemical they are spraying is completely harmless.
I'm sure the conspiracy guy would disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZ3zCRYn40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z8ItGP-Ync

The secound video takes a wile to load for some resone. I guess "They" don't want you to see it.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM
H5487

Spraying at 175MPH??? (According to the writeup on the first video.)

Half that at most. Maybe a third.

Harvey