Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

4C carb air intake

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

4C carb air intake

Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4C carb air intake

With all the hot weather we've been having lately, I've been thinking the 4C engines could use a drink of cool fresh air instead of the hot air that normally resides inside a cowl. Has anybody ever plumbed a "cold air intake" for your cowled 4C. I don't necessarily mean a hard plumbed and sealed intake but just maybe some duct work to dump fresh air very close to the carb intake. I would think it would improve the performance of the engine and keep it cooler by not ingesting hot air???

Ken
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 4C carb air intake

??????? It's been 115 here and my planes seem to have enough air flowto get the air in and out of the cowl. I do run my engines, four strokes, YS, a bit fat this time of year. Most folks say to fatten them up by about 300 rpm, mine I run at about 500 fat. As for a true cool box????? I have never seen anyone do it but we all tune for our area.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4C carb air intake

This might be a winter project. It would have to be removable so results could be documented on successive flights.... on the same day/weather conditions. I wish I had the tools or knew somebody who could bend up some aluminum tubing. That would be the schnits

Ken