Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

The Better Cub / 80" to 100"

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

The Better Cub / 80" to 100"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Ray44
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Better Cub / 80" to 100"

Hi All, Been thinking abt getting a
J-3 ARF.

I think I'm kinda partial to the 100" Hanger 9 but still considering the Great Planes 81" also. Price won't be a consideration here. (only when I tell wife)

Any quality issues with either one?

Wonder what's involved in changing back and forth from wheels to floats?

What about engine choices, ur recommendations and comments much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch
Later
Ray
Old 09-05-2003, 01:00 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the H9 80" for many years and it was a great flying airplane until my grandson decided to buy the farm with it (very similar to Goldberg's), flew superbly on an HP .49 four stroke for a while (perfect engine size for it), then I retrofitted it with floats and had to install an OS 70 FS, needed nose weight when using the floats, flew well from water but not as good as I wanted it to.

The larger version I don't know anything about, but do know that a 1/4 scale Cub flies the way a Cub should fly. In my personal opinion most ARF's suck (quality wise), this J-3 wasn't as bad as most and was a very strong airplane, a bit hard on the take off run, if you were not proficient with the rudder and how a tail dragger should be handled, this problem should not be present on the larger version.

I would definetely go with the larger version, bigger flies better!, no debating about that.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Ray44
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Walt
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm leaning more toward the bigger 100" cub but for probably a childish reason "it's bigger"

I've flown a bunch of taildraggers yrs ago but they were full size and I'm kinda new with the somewhat smaller ones. Truthfully I think these smaller versions are a tad more difficult.

I've only owned one ARF, got it in my little shop right now and just pulled the main gear off (trike) and converting it over to a t-dragger. This ARF arrived with a pretty low-class covering job, sure would hate to spend considerably more money on one of these Cubs and have it arrive with the same poor covering.
Oh well, hope for the best.
Tnx Agn
Ray