Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

18 volt battery for your starter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

18 volt battery for your starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 18 volt battery for your starter

The 18 volt battery that John Buckner found at Harbor Freight for our starters was only 10 bucks, I was in HF today looking for a battery for my drill and noticed it was now selling for 20 beans?? The fast charger for it was still only 5 dollars? Wish I would have bought a couple when they were cheaper. Maybe the next sale???
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 18 volt battery for your starter

I changed mine over to the HF when they were $9.99, I am also running my flight box on one, it sure does fill my planes quick... When I made my FB I designed the PP compartmentto house the HF battery, been working out great..
I haven't noticed the price on them now, but my father in-law works at one so I get the FD on anything I buy..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13799.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1785726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97576.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1785727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45834.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1785728  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 AM
FallDownGoBoom

I used one of the HF batteries and accidentally overcooked it with the fast charger one morning. After that, it didn't get warm while charging, or seem to hold a charge at all.

When I found the new $20 cost, I went to a pair of 7.4V LiPo's wired in series. 14.8V gives plenty of starter RPM, and there's enough amperage/current capacity to turn over a 50cc gasser (not well, but it did flip the prop over!). The LiPo's were about $8/ea from HobbyKing USA warehouse, and got delivered two days after ordering. Since I fly some electrics, it's easy to charge/monitor them with the same charger I use for flight LiPo's.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Falldowngoboom..
How many mahs are you using. My flightbox battery went out after a few years and i'm looking for an alternative. I'm thinking at least 4 amps?

I'm thking of going to my handpump for fuel. I've always used a portable glo starter and would use the in series setup for the starter and I could elmiinate my powerpanel.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KitBuilder, Don't go with a hand pump for fuel. Just use a small, about 1000 mah, 3S Lipo battery for your electric fuel pump. I charge mine about once a month and I'm a two or three day a week flyer. Also, a 4S Lipo for your starter is the only way to go. Gobs of power, light weight, and many starts between charges. RS
Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

I changed mine over to the HF when they were $9.99, I am also running my flight box on one, it sure does fill my planes quick... When I made my FB I designed the PP compartment to house the HF battery, been working out great..
I haven't noticed the price on them now, but my father in-law works at one so I get the FD on anything I buy..
No problems with 18V on your 12V electric pumps or anything 12 volt like the power panels, etc? I have two 18V HF packs and was thinking about doing the same thing you have, but just not sure about the extra 6 volts of supply. What do you charge your 18V packs with?

I figure I could take my packs apart and build them out at 12 volts, yet if they run the stuff on 18 without any problems that would be much easier to do.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since I discovered the ten buck HF 18volt 1200mah Nicd battery drill pack about three years ago I think virtually everyone in our local club has converted over and I no longer see anyone using an antiquated power panel at least for glow power. (Our local field remains almost all glow power with a sprinkling of gas and electric).

Its not perfect but it is far better than what most of us delt with in the past. This when used as a starter motor portable and used to eliminate the power panel altogether. This battery is not for someone too lazy to charge and it must be charged prior to each outing just like the ignitors but the reward is of course freedom from the need to carry a heavy box around with a big heavy battery.

Not sure how it would work as a flight box battery used in the conventional way through a power panel but that is moot for me anyway as the whole point was to eliminate the heavy box and panel anyway.

John

Name:	Fd92967.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1786079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28548.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1786080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39363.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1786081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38645.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1786082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67136.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1786083  
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: Luchnia
No problems with 18V on your 12V electric pumps or anything 12 volt like the power panels, etc? I have two 18V HF packs and was thinking about doing the same thing you have, but just not sure about the extra 6 volts of supply. What do you charge your 18V packs with?

I figure I could take my packs apart and build them out at 12 volts, yet if they run the stuff on 18 without any problems that would be much easier to do.
I made my set up last year and only charged the one in my flight box once this spring, so I pretty much get a full season on one charge. The fuel pump sure does fill my tanks quick and I am sure it will cut down it's over all life span, but so far it's been great.. As far as the power panel, I have a spare starter in case I forget to charge my other one and have used it and a Ni starter plug several times with no problem. My power panel is more of a back up to the portable units..

For charging, HF sells a charger for the batteries for $4.99.. It is a quick charger so you have to baby sit it, don't let your pack get to hot... I charge mine every 3rd or 4th trip out with zero problems, John's HF battery trick is the way to go....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM
FallDownGoBoom

Mike:

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm using 2 2100maH 20C lipo's hooked in series. I stuck a wattmeter in the circuit and was pulling about 3amps to spin an unloaded starter. I should run the that same test when turning over an engine, but I seem to have other things in mind, like not having my fingers in the prop, when I do that. I figure that even if I pull 10amps for the couple of seconds it takes to start a "normal" engine, the charge will last for a long time.

I've got mine installed in a flight box, but it would be fairly easy to build some kind of wooden cradle to attach the batteries to make a portable starter.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

I made my set up last year and only charged the one in my flight box once this spring, so I pretty much get a full season on one charge. The fuel pump sure does fill my tanks quick and I am sure it will cut down it's over all life span, but so far it's been great.. As far as the power panel, I have a spare starter in case I forget to charge my other one and have used it and a Ni starter plug several times with no problem. My power panel is more of a back up to the portable units..

For charging, HF sells a charger for the batteries for $4.99.. It is a quick charger so you have to baby sit it, don't let your pack get to hot... I charge mine every 3rd or 4th trip out with zero problems, John's HF battery trick is the way to go....[img][/img]
Thanks, I picked up the charger today. It was around 5.50 at HF. I already have two batteries so I plan to setup my own connectors and mounts. Should be nice setup for the money invested.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM
SCOTT42

This is my cordless starter I built 2 years ago, its the Hobbico Torqmaster 90. I just added a 2s 2350 mha 30c high discharge lipo on it, turns a 60 size engine with no trouble, allso spins my os 1.60 two stroke with no trouble and best of all it was cheap.

Name:	Wt59365.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1786413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25398.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1786414  
Old 07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
JohnBuckner

Thanks, I picked up the charger today. It was around 5.50 at HF. I already have two batteries so I plan to setup my own connectors and mounts. Should be nice setup for the money invested.

Just a note on the HF charger, its not a peak charger and you don,t want to let it go over five hours.

With the 18volt HF batteries if you have one of the now common four button peak chargers since most of those are rated for fourteen cells they work very well and you can set them for a nice overnite rate of 200mah.

I do have one Black and Decker 24 volt pack and that one of course you cannot use the common chargers and I found only two that were rated for 20 cells, the one I picked up is the Venom pro plus.

John
Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Just a note on the HF charger, its not a peak charger and you don,t want to let it go over five hours.

With the 18volt HF batteries if you have one of the now common four button peak chargers since most of those are rated for fourteen cells they work very well and you can set them for a nice overnite rate of 200mah.

I do have one Black and Decker 24 volt pack and that one of course you cannot use the common chargers and I found only two that were rated for 20 cells, the one I picked up is the Venom pro plus.

John
Definitely good to know. I plan ot test them out soon.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Luchnia

Ok, here is what I was thinking would be a nice setup for the way I use my field box. I have two of the HF 18V packs. I took them apart, soldered the connections and set them up parallel making a single pack. I now have an 18V pack with double the amount of batteries in one plastic case This baby should do the job, is fairly light, and fits right in my flight box!

I can charge it with the cheap HF charger - already tested out. I am not overly concerned about 18V on the starter, but I am wondering how it will do on the Hobbico Power Panel and my electric fuel pump? I was wondering if it made sense to put a voltage regulator on the lines going to the panel that controls the fuel pump and other 12V stuff and leave the starter at 18 volts?

A small voltage regulator would be extremely inexpensive - under a couple dollars for a 3 amp 12V regulator. Any thoughts appreciated. Since the voltage regulator would only be used when the power panel is turned on it should not be too much additional drain on the batteries.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 PM
JohnBuckner

High glad to see you are enjoying a little experimentation. OK first things first, yes your starter can handle the 18volt battery and in fact that is the whole point of using this battery just for the extra performance benefit of the increased motor speed.

Now if you run this battery through a power panel even if it will handle the handle the higher voltage it will still try to reduce the voltage to around 12 volts or just over. Doing this or using an additional voltage regulator completely eliminates the whole point of using this battery in the first place. Your starter will perform no better than the typical whimpy flight box battery.

Using 18 volts for a fuel pump is a different matter and I have no ideal if the motor would hold up, I have my doubts.

Now using the Harbour Freight charger for a single HF is great but wiring two together in paralell you have gone from a 15 cell pack to a 30 cell pack and The charger will take considerably longer to charge.

This pack is ideal for a 'portable starter' but using if for fuel pumps and even glow ignitor just does not take advantage of the benefits and presents a host of other problems.

Sorry I know that is not what you wanted to hear but for me I would never go back to umbilical chords after going full portable I.E. starter-fuel transfer-ignition.

John
Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Luchnia

High glad to see you are enjoying a little experimentation. OK first things first, yes your starter can handle the 18volt battery and in fact that is the whole point of using this battery just for the extra performance benefit of the increased motor speed.

Now if you run this battery through a power panel even if it will handle the handle the higher voltage it will still try to reduce the voltage to around 12 volts or just over. Doing this or using an additional voltage regulator completely eliminates the whole point of using this battery in the first place. Your starter will perform no better than the typical whimpy flight box battery.

Using 18 volts for a fuel pump is a different matter and I have no ideal if the motor would hold up, I have my doubts.

Now using the Harbour Freight charger for a single HF is great but wiring two together in paralell you have gone from a 15 cell pack to a 30 cell pack and The charger will take considerably longer to charge.

This pack is ideal for a 'portable starter' but using if for fuel pumps and even glow ignitor just does not take advantage of the benefits and presents a host of other problems.

Sorry I know that is not what you wanted to hear but for me I would never go back to umbilical chords after going full portable I.E. starter-fuel transfer-ignition.

John
I understand what you are stating. I was not going to go straight to my power panel. I was going to wire a junction to supply 18 Volts to the starter. From that a voltage reg to the power panel with a switch. In other words the power panel would see its normal 12 volts when the switch is on. Hope that makes sense....sometimes hard to explain things in a chat forum. I did not have time to take photos or I would have posted those.

I agree about having the pack for a portable starter however I am not using mine as a portable starter. It sole purpose it to supply my flight box which includes the starter. I see the advantage of portable starter, yet I don't want to change the way I use my flight box (at least for now - maybe later). I custom built my flight box and it is designed for convenience and works great for that purpose.

I think using it as a 30 cell pack will be different depending on how long the charge last and how long it takes to charge it. I did not fully charge so makes me wonder how long it will take. Certainly is fun tinkering with this and definitely will be a whole lot cheaper. Dang batteries are outrageous in price!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 AM
JohnBuckner

I see you are going to bypass the power panel for the starter part of the functions, yup definately fun to experiment. I see now that Mustangman40 is also using 18 on his fuel pump.

I am curious how much voltage you end up operating your fuel pump with and if it proves durable so please come back and let us know[8D]

John
Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 AM
Luchnia

I see you are going to bypass the power panel for the starter part of the functions, yup definately fun to experiment. I see now that Mustangman40 is also using 18 on his fuel pump.

I am curious how much voltage you end up operating your fuel pump with and if it proves durable so please come back and let us know[8D]

John
A fuel pump on steroids? I figure it would certainly get the pump at some point - I bet it screams for a while though. Next thing you know guys will have "hopped up" flight boxes!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 AM
JohnBuckner

Ya I suppose like the one someone built a few years back that looked just like a giant scale model of the conventional boxs sold at the time except he had to pull it around his farm with a tractor
Old 07-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Luchnia

Ya I suppose like the one someone built a few years back that looked just like a giant scale model of the conventional boxs sold at the time except he had to pull it around his farm with a tractor
Had to laugh at that one. I had this crazy image of one of those that looked like a SnapOn toolbox being pulled around. Thank goodness mine is very light duty. I think I got six pieces of wood in the whole thing. If I get some extra time I will post a photo of the setup I run. Very streamlined and super functional while maintaining as light weight as possible for wood. I have very little expensewise in it. [8D]
Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I have seen {not done myself} people using two auto batteries in series to operate there starters, as long as you don't let the starter over heat they can take it. If the engine doesn't start right away don't keep trying, the starter will over heat and burn out of melt the little contact. 18 volts doesn't seem to kill the electric fuel pump but like the starter, don't let the motor over heat.
I have been using wireless starters for years but I was using the 12 volt 7amp flight box battery attached to my starter, yes, it was heavier but it worked. The HF is just a bunch better. It was a lot better at $10.00 then $20.00 though. I was in HF looking for a pack and charger that would work on my B&D drill when I saw the price jump. I was a little in shock at the price doubling. There is a sale on that has an 18 volt drill and light with the battery included, I think it is about $20.00. That way I will get a new drill and battery for the price of the battery. Always looking for a deal!!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM
aspeed

I made a starter cone up for my electric drill on advise from a forum or mag. somewhere. I thought it would be great to start a motor and have a drill too. My drill didn't spin the motor fast enough, It was probably 9.6 volts or something. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Maybe I could try it on my new drill sometime. I think it is across town right now. I don't like the glow drivers with the little 1.2V nicads. The power panels that have the guage are great, but kind of clumsy and heavy when you get a flameout on takeoff.