Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ceiling hanging storage plane fully assembled options

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ceiling hanging storage plane fully assembled options

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ceiling hanging storage plane fully assembled options

I am looking to hang my Great Planes Gee Bee up on the ceiling. I have a few options that I am thinking about but I am not sure at this point. I do know that I do not want a bike lift so that is out of the question. The reason I do not want a bike lift is because I do not plan on flying this plane anymore so accessibility is not important. I was thinking about a hook (kind of like a strong flower pot hook) and just get some rope and wrap around the wings or get an actual RC plane hook that slides under the wings( this is what I prefer), but the only down side is that the Gee Bee is Fat and all of the RC plane hooks are for smaller smaller fuselages. Give me some pictures and ideas, thanks Guys.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ceiling hanging storage plane fully assembled options

Check out JL Power Products, they have several great Ceiling Plane and Wing hanging units, well made; I use them myself, they work great.

http://www.jlproducts.net/index.html

http://www.jlproducts.net/ProductSkyHook.html
Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM
rowdog_14

Yeah I saw those but it will not accomplish what I want. I just got from homedepot and purchased some rope, a screw eyebolt, and spring link. With those items I am going to just do the same setup as the first picture. I wanted something like the second picture but could not find anything wide enough for the Gee Bee and I did not want to do PVC pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49103.jpg
Views:	2571
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1785826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78562.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	1785827  
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
rowdog_14

Oh and it cost me about $8. I will take pictures of it if it works out like I want it to.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Jacobs Jasta 7

I hang my planes with simple soft rope clothesline, epoxy (For the threads and baseplate of the hook if you have a sheetrock ceiling) and the screw in type plant hangers with a safety latch. Even with the stompy upstairs neighbors, haven't had a plane fall yet. Every winter I assemble my planes and hang them up so I have more space to build new planes.

Pete

Name:	Ax72788.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	1785905  
Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 PM
rowdog_14

Well here is my mine...

Name:	Pn35715.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1785953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27930.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1785954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37779.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1785955  
Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Jacobs Jasta 7

There's more than one way to skin a cat! Looks good my friend, love the Gee Bee.

Pete
Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 PM
rowdog_14

ORIGINAL: Jacobs Jasta 7

There's more than one way to skin a cat! Looks good my friend, love the Gee Bee.

Pete
Thanks! My wife and I both love the Gee Bee too. She suggested since I have plenty of flights on it and it is still in once piece to just retire it and just have it for display. Until I buy another plane for the engine and electronics I am going to keep them in the Gee Bee
Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 AM
vivekbali

Hi,

I made a system to hang plane from the ceiling, something similar to the hardware used for hanging bicycle from the ceiling, using pulleys. ( http://www.sears.com/m-wave-bicycle-...&blockType=G40 ).

But, when I pull the cable, the tail lifts up and not the nose. That's because, without the wings, the nose is very heavy. How can I resolve this issue so that the nose and the tail remain horizontal to the ground?

Btw, it's a 50cc gasser,,,, appreciate any thoughts on this...

Thx
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you simply put the wing on?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 AM
vivekbali

Can't, space restriction...
Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys all need functioning ceiling fans in those airplane rooms....it eleviates all storage problems....lol
Old 02-25-2016, 08:19 AM
Volo

Default Hanging a pusher

I designed this support to store my Bobcat 52. Easy to use and secured!

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	523
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2149368   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	754
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2149369  
Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 PM
tewitt1949

I use 2 metal coat hangers. Put the wings through the hangers then hook the hangers on something on the ceiling.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 AM
Volo

Originally Posted by tewitt1949
I use 2 metal coat hangers. Put the wings through the hangers then hook the hangers on something on the ceiling.
The problem with the metal hangers, is that they mark the wing, especially when the fuselage is attached. Difficult to install a foam tape over the wire.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

An old friend always built a single piano wire with a small eye at the balance point simple to hang using a fishing swivel snap. The plane always suspends properly............is easy to take down and has no stress on wings, etc.

Very clean and easy and you can obtain balance from all points side to side, front to rear.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:57 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A really good example is hanging from you local hobby shop's ceiling.

One or two short hooks in the ceiling with a couple of loops of cord. One hook works, but two with a loop each provide far more stability.

If you're worried about the cord denting the model, thread it through some foam tube. Foam tube? Sold in lengths as pipe insulation, both small and large cell foam. Cut whatever length works for that loop of cord.

Cheap as dirt and by far the easiest "construction". It's really better for storing seldom flown models as hanging them takes a step ladder.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:27 PM
da Rock

The hook and loops of cord work great for storage (if you have the ceiling space) but aren't for planes you fly often.

The cheapest and simplest trick I've come up with is made from aluminum strap and a couple of screws. The strap is a couple of dollars and makes at least a couple of sets of hooks from a single piece. Bending the strap on landing gear wire benders made to handle piano wire back when modelers did that kind of construction, gives the hook a nice radius where the LE of the stab seats. If you want to hang larger models, use wider strap, or add a support in the hook.

You basically custom fit the strap to the LE sweep when tightening the screw that goes into the floor joist. Align the strap to the LE and tighten. Or leave it slightly loose if you hang more than one specific model there.

Name:	DSC_0011.JPG
Views:	2923
Size:	940.1 KB
ID:	2149545  

Last edited by da Rock; 02-26-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:50 PM
da Rock

Originally Posted by vivekbali
Hi,

I made a system to hang plane from the ceiling, something similar to the hardware used for hanging bicycle from the ceiling, using pulleys. ( http://www.sears.com/m-wave-bicycle-...&blockType=G40 ).

But, when I pull the cable, the tail lifts up and not the nose. That's because, without the wings, the nose is very heavy. How can I resolve this issue so that the nose and the tail remain horizontal to the ground?

Btw, it's a 50cc gasser,,,, appreciate any thoughts on this...

Thx
Don't rig the line the way Sears shows it. Turn the setup into two individual pulleys in parallel instead of two in series.

In other words, you will have two cords instead of one. That lift comes with two different ceiling fixtures. Use them individually, not connected.

Call the left one in the picture, the Nose pulley. The right one would be the Tail pulley.

The cord for the nose pulley is attached to the ceiling fixture and runs down to a pulley at the nose of the plane, then back up to the ceiling fixture and through a roller there. You want to run the cord from there to your tiedown. Don't thread it through the right ceiling fixture.

Now use the tail pulley ceiling fixture the same way. Tie it's cord to the fixture somewhere and then thread it down at the pulley at the tail of the plane. Then back up through the roller at the ceiling, just like the cord is on the other end.

Grab the ends of the two lines and pull. Both nose and tail hooks will move toward the ceiling at the same rate.

It didn't take any additional hardware and shouldn't take any extra time to rig. No cost, no extra effort. Taa daa....
Old 02-26-2016, 01:56 PM
da Rock

OK now, you have two different cords coming from two different places and it's a touch unwieldy isn't it.

So instead of running the nose line from the left ceiling fixture to your tie down, go ahead and thread it through the roller on the right ceiling fixture with the tail line. Both lines now come from the same roller on the ceiling. Simpler to pull. Easier to handle. And no extra cost to that as well.

BTW, it's guaranteed.... The guarantee? If you are not entirely satisfied, there is no additional charge.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:49 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

The coat hanger method works well. Just slip a foam pipe tube over it to protect the plane. Two hooks into the ceiling. I take my wings off but the hangers would work just fine if you leave your wings on.

Name:	001 (7).JPG
Views:	689
Size:	692.6 KB
ID:	2149876   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (5).JPG
Views:	475
Size:	619.4 KB
ID:	2149877   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	654.7 KB