Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Radios and receivers

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radios and receivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios and receivers

Have the orginal radio and receiver that came with the Avastar trainer. It is a channel 42 tx and rx. I have aother Futuba T6xa that is on channel 46. Question is can I get a crystal, a "46" to go into the receiver in the Avistar and make it work? I wan to use the updated radio with another plane which will require an additional receiver. Which way should I attack this? Thanks and as always will be watching. gphil
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Radios and receivers

Yes. You can switch the crystal as your've already got a high band receiver. IFit is compatable with Futaba (likely it is as Hobbico is a sister/owner of Futaba). What make is the receiver?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFK0**&P=7

FCC says you're not supposed to change the transmitter crystal, or so I believe.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Right, it's illegal to change your transmitter crystal without having a qualified tech retune it, but you can change receiver crystals with no problems at all. Do make sure you get the same brand crystal as the maker of your receiver.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM
gphil

The servos are Futaba 3003 and the radio is Futaba Skyport 4. The up dated radio has a small screen and handle several planes. Now one is analog (fm) The other is digital ,,,, I think,,,, Makes no difference I hope???? gphil
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
jester_s1

What is analog and digital? The transmitters? That won't matter because it's the modulation that matters.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 AM
gphil

Ok, guess I do not have all the knowledge available to talk where it makes sense to someone that does. I was assumeing that the newer trans had a small viewing screen, it was digital where as the other does not. They are both 72's just different channels. I was hoping to just change the crystal on the Avastar's receiver and that would make it compatable with the T-6As then get a new receiver for the newer plane etc. Thanks for all the help so far. gphil
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are both Futaba Radio's, change the crystal in the receiver you want to use to match it with the better transmitter. Make sure you do a range check before you fly it. collapse your antenna and walk about 75 feet away from the model and see if it responds without any servo chatter. You shoud'nt have any problems being that theyare both Futaba . Good Luck
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

What is analog and digital? The transmitters? That won't matter because it's the modulation that matters.
I believe what he was trying to say was that his new transmitter is capable of FM and PCM, which is true for the T6XA.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:53 AM
gphil

yes to the last post,,,,, it is selectable pcm etc
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM
jester_s1

ORIGINAL: gphil
I was assumeing that the newer trans had a small viewing screen, it was digital where as the other does not.
The screen doesn't have anything to do with how they transmit. Both of your radios put out a digital proportional signal, so the airplane doesn't know the difference. The screen and computer gear in your fancier radio is there so that you can tweak what your stick inputs do to the signal.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just take your Receiver into any good hobby shop and ask them to sell you the crystal you need. There is a thing called duel conversion and single conversion. sorry I can't recall what model is what in that regard. If anyone says anything about high and low band just ignore them, that was a marketing ploy Futaba tried to sell more receivers and it backfired in there face. They just painted a red dot in some of there products to tell the supposed difference. It was a good ploy for Hitec though, people got tired of that high low trick and quit buying the Futaba receivers. Futaba doesn't do that any longer.
I changed over all my Futaba RXs to Ch. 15, both PCM and PPC so I didn't have to be changing the crystal/module in my radio all the time. They are only a couple of dollars for a RX crystal.
Tower even sells the crystals, not a big deal.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM
gphil

Then I guess your transmitter, radio, transmitts on channel 15. Tx and Rx have to match correct? I could still get the 46 crystal for the current receiver and use it with the current 46 in my radio, if so great. gphil
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM
gphil

The reason for all this back and forth stuff about radios is the nearest hobby shop is hour drive from here. Otherwise would just go in and hand them the equipment and say make it so. gphil
Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
carrellh

Then I guess your transmitter, radio, transmitts on channel 15. Tx and Rx have to match correct? I could still get the 46 crystal for the current receiver and use it with the current 46 in my radio, if so great. gphil
Yes
Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM
gphil

The ole hard head has gotten it and thanks for putting up with me. gphil
Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Gray Beard

Good!!!!!In Calif the LHS was down a mountain and an hour and a half drive. Not all hobby shops have crystals in stock. Before I ever drove to my LHS I phoned first to see if they had what I needed. If not then a phone call to Tower will have it to your door in about three working days. Shipping is also cheaper then the gas of getting to your LHS. I'm pretty sure I have a crystal out in the shop for a duel conversion 46. I scored several good RXs and changed them over for my radio. I also used to use a Spektrum Module in my radio AKA: dial a crash} so I could fly on any channel I wanted. I still have one of those too. It's just one of the joys of having a good radio. It's now also set up for 2.4.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:15 PM
gphil

You guessed it, crystals and other stuff of course , ordered and on the way from Tower. I am a happy may.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 PM
gphil

Above message not may,,,,,,, MAN
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Gray Beard

You guessed it, crystals and other stuff of course , ordered and on the way from Tower. I am a happy may.
Tower is good because you can just give them the RX number and they know what you need. I don't use them myself but I send a lot of new people to them.