Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Elevator Trim Issues

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Elevator Trim Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elevator Trim Issues

Hello,

I just maidened my Kadet Senior on floats this morning, and over a period of several flights have noticed an issue with the trim.
First flight, the model was in trim, with the exception of the ailerons. On a low pass, the covering on the bottom of the elevator blew off (never seen anything like that happen before) so I made a quick landing. I recovered it right away and took off again, this time the model needed about five beeps of up trim. Second flight, I needed another 15 or so clicks. By the last flight, the trim setting had changed from +5 to +81 on the digital trim counter.

I am not sure what the issue could be. There is no flex in the elevator, pushrod, or servo installation, and there doesn't seem to be any issue with the servo itself. I left the model and TX powered on for about an hour to see if the trim was wandering on it's own, but it remained centred. The centre of gravity has not changed either.

All flights were flown at about 50% power, servos are Futaba standard S3003, engine is OS FS-70.

Any ideas of where the issue could be?

Thanks!

Graeme

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53895.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1788699  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Elevator Trim Issues

It's normal to use additional up when adding the weight and drag of floats. If you need to add progressively more as you land and take off . . . check the floats for water intrusionby shaking and tilting the model and listening.

I had 10 of of water in a float once. Was not a good flight. Especially once I put the nose down at low throttle to land and all the water moved to the front of one float.

Your floats also look a bit small. They should be 75 to 80%of the fuselage length (prop thrust washer to rudder hinge); though you can get by with less if you keep the speed up while taxiing.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
DeferredDefect

Thanks for the quick reply, Charlie - 

The down trim was expected, but it was the progressive addition after each flight that threw me off. 

I'm out of town for an airshow and don't have the model here, but I guess I'll reset the trim and see how it goes after a few days of drying off. It was pretty wavy so the model got a lot more wet than I thought.  The floats were recently recovered - older balsa Sig units, low temp film covering. 

Graeme
Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You did not say what kind of pushrods you are using. If you are using NYrods that are plastic, these will alter your trims as the temprature warms up or cools off. Just a thought, Dave
Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes what are the pushrods? are rod ends slipping inside carbon fibre or inner nyrod? Is the nyrod if use supported at multiple points?

Another issue I have experianced and seen happen quite a few times: Did your floats take on water as the day progressed or become water soaked progressively between flights?

John
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I think the guys are right on about the pushrods. I had a Sig 4 Star sixty in which I used the kit included pushrods. They were so heat sensitive that during the course of a days flying the trim would change so much it would exceed the transmitter range. I replaced the plastic inner tube with a piece from another brand and the problem went away.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:23 AM
JohnBuckner

further possibilities for mysterious trim changes during the day are missing servo screws, loose servo tray or loose servo mount sticks.

John
Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 AM
DeferredDefect

The pushrods are not the plastic snake type - they are wooden with threaded metal ends drilled into them, ala most balsa trainers. I did have an issue with nyrods in the past, but with a different model
Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I once had a trim problem like this, I had an anti vibe engine mount that used clamps over the case mounts to hold the engine tight, the screws came loose and the engine was moving around changing the thrust angle, A lot!!! Just a thought. I like the water in the pontoons idea though.
A question: Would it be a good idea to put foam inside my floats. I just finished one set but I just started another set so I could install foam in this set before I installed the bottom sheeting.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is for water soaked floats. You mentioned they were balsa covered in a heat shrink film. IMO, built up floats should be covered with glass and epoxy. While it is not a 100% guarantee of water tightness, I would trust the glass/epoxy way farther than iron on film.

Ken
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed. Built up floats need to be glassed to be trustworthy. It only takes one hairline crack, even with monokote covering, to let water in.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I missed that Balsa just covered with covering. That would really create a problem. Both sets of mine are getting glassed with 1/2 ounce cloth using Deft Sanding Sealer then I will be using 5 ounce glass on the floats bottom using finishing resin just to add a bit in case of gravel and rocks. Balsa is almost as good as a sponge to absorb water.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

A question: Would it be a good idea to put foam inside my floats. I just finished one set but I just started another set so I could install foam in this set before I installed the bottom sheeting.
I would recommend putting at least some foam in, if nothing else if there is a major crash, it won't sink to the bottom as fast

to the original poster, my first thoughts were water getting into the plane or floats some way.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 AM
wjcalhoun

Another possibility with the plastic gear 3003s is gear train slip. Had that happen once and it cost me a plane. Water in floats is probably more likely, but i would check the elevator servo.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

My Kadet Senior had the same problem. If the balsa pushrods arent braced they start to bend under pressure. If you put all up elevator and push down on the elevator you will probably notice that the pushrod is bending. I went into mine and braced it but if I did it again I would use different pushrods or make them out of a hardwood dowel instead. Also make sure the wire part is not bending either.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14 PM
JohnBuckner

I have converted many float planes and yes the glass is more durable but most of mine are monocoat over balsa sheeting either built up or foam. They do just fine if time is limited on the water which all of mine are and care is practiced in beaching (thats another interesting skill to be learned).

But definately as I posted earlier check the floats If they are built up types (appear to be Goldberg) shake them, its as simple as that, sufficient water to effect inflight trim changes will be obvious.

Now let me address another issue that applies only to some of the NitroPlanes ARF's called Super Seniors.

I do not not what version of the Senior yours is but most of the Nitroplanes Arf's have been coming through with a very substandard fuselage pushrod set. It is a strange punkwood dowel perhaps a little less than a quarter of an inch. All most all seem to have a curious spiral corkscrew warps in them and if you actually use them The result will be wet noodle pushrods. Now on the elevator the blowback can be quite severe resulting in exactly the symtoms you speak of.

There are now something over twenty of the Super Seniors flying at our club and the solution has been abandoning the stock rods and replacing with Carbon Fibre rods from the pylon suppliers the type that stock 2.56 rod ends are a slip fit.

The test to check for a wet noodle pushrod (especially elevator) is to turn the radio off and by grasping the control horn of the elevator able to push the servo in both directions without noodlin out (bending and unable to move the servo when pushed).

Just a thought.

John
Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the RX and TX on, see if your servo is losing center. Do it by pushing on the elevator to put load on the servo. If the gear train has issues it could show up in the centering changing. New servo?

Heck, sometimes you can feel a servo slip center without turning on the plane.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:28 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

When you say that you recovered it right away and took off again, this was all in one day?

I can't help but imagine that if you landed with no covering on the bottom of the elevator that the wood in the elevator probably got wet. Putting covering right back on without letting it dry completely would have steamed the water up and probably caused the wood to move (warp). Even letting it dry for a few days, wet wood will have a tendency to move. That could be the cause of the trim changes.

Dave
Old 08-04-2012, 04:43 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

On the pushrod topic, I don't think it's enough to be able to move the servo when it's off by moving the control surface. My test is with the radio on I should be able to move the surface and move the servo off-center for just a second. That tells me the pushrod is stiffer than the servo is strong, which means it's strong enough to take any flight load it could possibly ever have. True enough, a trainer or even most sport planes will never put nearly that much strain on the servos, but there's no reason to fly with pushrods that can't transfer the torque that your servos are able to produce. My test also lets you check out the gear train if you're so inclined. I put some resistance on the surface, maybe 1/2-2/3 of the power the servo can produce, and I run it through its travel. If there's a bad tooth on the gear, I'll find it that way. I do that test for every servo on every new build and after every hard landing that I think might have done some damage.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
DeferredDefect

Sorry for the delayed response, guys - thanks for all the advice!
Well I'm back from my trip and decided to go over the model to look for any of the listed issues.
dbacque - I had covered it almost immediately after landing with an iron plugged into my power box and some spare covering. It had not obviously not been as waterproof as I had hoped because when I pulled the patch at least half of the elevator was full of water, including the middle section where the control horn attaches. The weight of the water was enough so that with the model turned off, the elevator would drop all the way down, moving the servo in the process.
I checked the elevator servo for issues and found none. I left the model and TX left on for about two hours, played with forcing the controls, etc, but everything checked out fine. There didn't seem to be much flex from the pushrods either. Floats were water free and I couldn't find any wet wood from what I stripped off the bottom and sides. I had gotten them from a yard sale, covered in rather tattered EconoKote, so I figured new film was an acceptable fix. I'll glass them to reduce any chance of them getting wet in the future.
In my mind, the weight of the water at the extreme end of the model will have easily changed the C of G, which will have at least made the trim more sensitive. If the wind dies down tonight I'll take her up and see what happens.
Thanks!
Graeme

[edit] Flew the model three times, no issue. In fact, I it seemed to be climbing a bit at half throttle like a flat bottomed model should. No water in the elevator this time - it was easy to check because I covered the bottom with transparent film this time!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis
[edit] Flew the model three times, no issue. In fact, I it seemed to be climbing a bit at half throttle like a flat bottomed model should. No water in the elevator this time - it was easy to check because I covered the bottom with transparent film this time!
Great to hear, if the symptoms did not return, then it is a good chance that the problem was some water getting in someplace, but you probably got that fixed.

Enjoy the water while it is still liquid ))