Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

riser wing tape

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

riser wing tape

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 PM
kargo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riser wing tape

Hey Gang, hows the flying season going? I hate being busy during mine...

Question; My Sig Riser had a slight mishap last summer and I'm in the process of repairing it. I bought it at an auction so I didn't realize this before, but the "wing tips," the part of the wings with the dihederal, are not permanently affixed to the wings! The had a dowel in the back and a tube in the main wing that a metal rod from the tip fit into. The previous owner used tape to hold the wing pieces together, color matched to the covering. Its about an inch wide. Does anyone know what kind of tape this is? Thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: riser wing tape

any kind of tape works.. packing tape, etc.. some are easier to get off than others. Clear packing tape let the color come through. On sailplanes, I always liked my wings as one piece.. or no plug in tips.. just made me nervous having them able to come apart on a hi-start, etc..
Old 08-11-2012, 12:28 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any kind of tape that will stick to the covering will work for example clear packing tape. Some are easier to get off than others and don't leave a residue. . Clear packing tape lets the color come through. On sailplanes, I always liked my wings as one piece.. or no plug in tips.. just made me nervous having them able to come apart on a hi-start, etc..
Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Any kind of tape that will stick to the covering will work for example clear packing tape. Some are easier to get off than others and don't leave a residue. . Clear packing tape lets the color come through.
A trick to keep in mind when taping and untaping things..............

Tape each side of the joint with wider pieces of tape. Assemble and then run the usual piece of tape on top of the tape already there. When you're done, removing that usual piece of tape is often easier and less apt to leave residue.