Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

fuel proof spray paints?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

fuel proof spray paints?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 AM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel proof spray paints?

Hello all, I know its been asked many many times but its gonna get asked one more time, what brand spray paint is fuel proof? Rustolium, or krylon? I need to know soon so I can stop and buy some on my way home from work. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fuel proof spray paints?

I used to paint mufflers with one of the brands you mention back in the day. Used the high temp stuff.

I tried it last year and in spite of the muffler having about a week to cure which was way longer than the mufflers back in the day got, the paint went sticky and started to streak the airplane.

I assumed they changed the formula.

I bought and tried a box full of cans, every brand I could find. Every one got 3 or more days to cure and every one of them failed. Only the first couple got tested on an engine/plane. The rest just got some fuel spray. I've read since that some of the brands I tried worked for others. Got no idea why, none worked for me.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 AM
SCOTT42

Thanks, I got a telemaster yesterday and all of the tail feathers have been painted, I could just cover them with momocoat but thinking I would like to put another coat of paint on them becouse I don't know if fuel proof paint was used to begine with. Thought about useing some of the colored dope from sig but I don't own a sray rig.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 AM
bkdavy

I was trying to paint a cowl a few years ago, and tried all the over the counter spray paints. Nothing worked. All started to peel and soften within a few days of flight. Finally I just painted it with the color I wanted. Once that paint had cured, I coated the entire thing with acetone thinned 30 minute epoxy. A little really went a long way. Applied the epoxy with a latex rubber glove and my finger. It gave the cowl a beautiful high gloss finish, the color hasn't faded, and paint hasn't softened or peeled in over three years.

Brad
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I once found different paints that were fuel proof and then the paints must have changed because they quit working a few years later. I can still find Ultra and black Barron paint once in a while at one hobby shop, How old it is?? Not a clue but it works. Luster is still sold in shops and at Tower, the colors may be off a bit, sometimes way off! It tends to run but it is fuel proof.
An OK HVLP spray gun can be bought at Harbor Freight plus a touch up gun for only a few bucks, even a single stage Air Brush. They have a very cool item for about 10 bucks too, it is a can, you put in your paint and just pressurize it, SHAZAM!!!!!!! Instant rattle can with the paint of your choice. You still need a small compressor at home though but HF even sells those!!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 AM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK The basic colors of Rustolium are fuel proof, to 15% at least - red, yellow, white, black,etc.. Not the metalics, not the clear. Krylon polyurethanes are fuelproof - I don't think the others are. Let Rustoleum dry for several days or longer. Remember, you cannot put just any paint over any other paint. Try a small spot for compatibility. You can always paint a piece of cardboard, let it dry for while, then put fuel on it an let it set.

Paul
Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 AM
carrellh

My brother painted a Super Sportster with Rustoleum several years ago and it seemed to be fuel proof. It was so long ago that formulas could have changed.

We painted my Corsair with LustreKote http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=RHQ&V=TOP and it is fuel proof. They do not have a huge selection of colors any more. I wonder if the clear would go over other brands without causing a reaction. If yes, you might be able to use Krylon or Rustoleum for the color and LustreKote for protection.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
SCOTT42

Thank you all for the input, I ended up stoping by the hobby store on the way home and bought a can of lusterkoat, who ever painted the feathers painted then white but I really dont like it on a red fuse so I went with silver instead.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM
YAT-28E

I have used model master paints over Monokote and then cleared with Luster coat. I had it laying aroung so I used it. Not my first choice but it works.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just about to buy some Klass Kote clear, the two part epoxy will go over pretty much any paint to fuel proof it. My next plane is a glow powered but I will be using water based Latex from Lowe's so the KK will work great over it. I will use a cheap HVLP spray gun though. I also want to try using gold leaf and the KK will go over that too. If your using a gas engine then you don't need to fuel proof latex paint. Looks good and it's cheap, can also be mixed and matched at any hardware store.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I had very good luck with spray-paints meant for car engines. Not very many colors available but they are 100% fuel proof.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Krylon polyurethanes are not necessarily fuel proof. If it's a water based poly it's definitely not. Oil based may be, but they will also yellow with time. For future reference, some auto paint stores have a 2 part urethane in a rattle can that you activate just before spraying. It will be fuel proof and won't yellow or peel over time.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I used Rustoleum automotive clear coat and it seems to be pretty good. I had painted 3 coats on a piece of ply, let it cure for a day and then put a blob of 15% Wildcat on it and let it sit for a day. It wiped off without any softening.  I painted the bare parts of my Eflite T-34 with it and haven't had any problems....yet.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Lots of paints will stand up to raw fuel, but then soften when they get exhaust on them. The real test is to put a painted panel in the path of your tailpipe and run the engine for about two minutes. Then let that panel sit for 24 hours with the residue on it. If you are still able to wipe the residue away and have no staining or softening of the finish, you're good to go.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jester, very good test methodology. Thanks for the info, I'll file that one away!

Dave
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

So far the Rustoleum CC is holding up. Had a couple flights on the plane I used it on and it cleaned up well.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM
SCOTT42

I made a stop by the locale shop and picked up some silver lustercoat, Ive got every thing masked off now and have three coats on the alirons now and two coats on the tail surfaces with one more coat to go. I really think this is going to turn out nice. I will post pics of the completed job when done, Im thinking next week she should be ready to fly.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM
moggyman64

Hi Scott 42,

Patience is key to a good finish, take your time and enjoy getting good results.

Hope it works out for you.

Keith
Old 05-14-2022, 04:23 PM
Crazy Legs

Can someone please define what the "Basic Colors" of Rustolium consist of since people are saying they're fuel proof? How about listing specific products with names from, say, Walmart.com? I know Walmart sells Rustolum paint off the shelf, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2022, 05:49 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Sorry but no Rustoleum is fuel proof. The Appliance Epoxy holds up fairly well but only come in white, black and beige.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:14 PM
Crazy Legs

Please scroll up and read the comments on 8/13/2012 @ 12:14 PM from RCPAUL He states: OK The basic colors of Rustolium are fuel proof, to 15% at least - red, yellow, white, black,etc.. Not the metalics, not the clear. Krylon polyurethanes are fuelproof - I don't think the others are. Let Rustoleum dry for several days or longer. Remember, you cannot put just any paint over any other paint. Try a small spot for compatibility. You can always paint a piece of cardboard, let it dry for while, then put fuel on it an let it set.
Please understand that the issue with getting help with these forums is that you can't tell who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:49 PM
speedracerntrixie

I agree that it is difficult to see what peoples experience is on a forum. One reason why when giving technical advise I usually state my piece and then leave it alone. I can however assure you that if you paint a wet fuel model with Rustolium or Krylon paints and expect any level of a paint job you can take pride in, you will be disappointed.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:00 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Huum,,, I have many planes I've painting with Rustoleum and Krylon, a few painted with Latex too,, I've been successfully using these alternates to hobby paints for almost as long as this thread is old and I take pride in each and every one of them.

Now these claims that Rustoleum is glow fuel proof,, I tend to doubt it also,, I always use a clear coat I've tested to be glow fuel proof on the couple glow planes I still have

When is doubt,,, test for yourself
Old 05-15-2022, 06:09 AM
speedracerntrixie

Correct me if I’m wrong here Tom but aren’t those scale warbirds that a show auto, glossy type paint job just wouldn’t look the part? Of course that along with expectations plays a part. I suppose I should have asked what type of airplane was being painted. As you know, on most of my stuff I want the nice high gloss finish.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:10 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Not everything I do are flat or satin sheen warbird schemes

White Krylon Appliance white of the fiberglass fuse matches the Ultracote pretty good

Grey, Red and Black is rattle can Rustoleum,, Yellow is color matched Latex with Gloss clear, Satin Clear over the black anti glare panel

This one my buddy restored and recovered,, I own it now, flew it today actually, Rustoleum matches the Ultacote red pretty good too

Also all rattle can paints although this one is EP

So yeah,, I'm plenty proud to own all of them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.