Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Telemaster engine??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Telemaster engine??

Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 PM
SCOTT42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telemaster engine??

Ive got a rather large telemaster that im currently working on, I aquired it as a started kitt thats allready been coverd and ready for hardware. The wingspan is 8ft and the fuse is roughly 61" what size do you guys think this would be? allso do you think a saito 65 will power it? Im thinking it will but might be gutless at best. Anyways thats whats on the shelf and needing a plane to go on. I currently have it all masked up now getting some fresh paint on the tail section, I hope to post pics of it once shes fixed and ready to fly, I just love to find old wrecks and fix them to flying status again.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Telemaster engine??

The Saito should be fine in a Sr. Telemaster. I had an old worn out .60 two stroke in mine and it was really over powered. The Sr. is the most fun you can have with a plane. When the wind comes up you can even get them to fly backwards
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Scott What you have is the Senior Telemaster as GB indicated. This is what I chose to power mine with

Anyway The last fellow I helped with a Stock one installed a Magnum 91 and it proved a useful and nice combination.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15481.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	1792112  
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Don't get over zealous with paint on the tail. It's a long moment arm.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
SCOTT42

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Scott What you have is the Senior Telemaster as GB indicated. This is what I chose to power mine with

Anyway The last fellow I helped with a Stock one installed a Magnum 91 and it proved a useful and nice combination.
Thank you John, thats a nice color combo on yours, I really like it. What engins is powering yours? What made you think of that setup? I think it sends a bold statement of some sort. I like it.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM
JohnBuckner

Scott they are OS 25FX's And the only bold statement is I love Multis and I love the time honored modelers art of 'Kit Bashing'.

What made me think of it was This one and a bunch others. Donor here of my original Quad Kaydet is a Senior Kaydet of course:

Back to your ship which I beleve you will love, I,ve also flown them with two stroke Sixtys But I think your small four stroke will be a bit disappointing as you surmised. I,ve also set up some airplanes that I did deliberately use smaller that the recommended engines So give it a try if ya like to experiment. Its all good.

John

Name:	Qo39067.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1792282  
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM
SCOTT42

Thanks john, I how ever have a new in the box MDS .68 two stroke thats needing a new home but I know nothing about MDS engins so I have been hestent to use it. I guess I could mount it on the test stand and run it and see if I might like it. I won it in a raffle at a club funtion and have had it about 2 years now, might very well be the time to blow the dust off the box and open it up. Ive thought the saito .65 would be a bit small but allso thought it would keep things intresting.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
JohnBuckner

Well probably if you want to use the MDS you might put it in a test stand and break it in there. While I have never operated one I have seen a number show up in the past and none were very successful with them.

At least that way it would be less work than going ahead and installing in the airplane. I suspect the reason it ended up even new in box as a raffle was simply no one wanted it.

John

Old 08-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, do you think 2 old os 40's (fp's I think) would be enough on a senior? or maybe do three and have a tri motor?

To answer the original posters question, I think the 65 would fly it, but you maybe would want a little more, either a standard 60 2 stroke or 70-90 four stroke.

Jon
Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Gray Beard

Out of the MDS engines I have used the .68 is the best of the bunch. They are however Russia's revenge on the world, very poor castings and crap for metallurgy. The big trick to the MDS though {learned too late to save them} is the fact that they don't like Nitro. Use either FAI or no more then 5%. They didn't get the nick name Many Dead Sticks for nothing but it turned out to be misinformation about the nitro. Once I went to FAI they worked OK.
I have a lot of MDS stories, I went through three of the .58s. The .68 worked but did go dead stick often enough. 5% nitro fuel seemed to cure that problem. When they ran they were a true power house. Two of the .58s I had the case itself broke!! Pot iron?? Maybe. Horizon only sold them for a year or so. I just got rid of the few I had under the bench and the fellow was thrilled with them. He ran FAI fuel and they were designed for it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
SCOTT42

Ive got some fuel I mixed up thats a 5% blend that I made for the super tiger 3000, im not real sure exactly how I made it while just sitting here but I can go out to the shop and look at what I wrote on the bottle, I knew I would forget the mix make up so I just wrote it on the jug. Id like to at least try the the engine but dont want a head ache to deal with either. The saito .65 and the mds .68 are the only two engines I have on hand that will power this plane with out going and buying a new one.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM
gofast53

Mine has a DLE 20 in it, overpowered but not a problem with some good throttle management. Originally I was planning to set it up as a tug plane for gliders, but due to it being an ARTF kit it would need alot of beefing up in the tail end. As I just could not be bothered removing the covering and spending any more money on it, I scrapped that idea. Previous to the DLE 20ly it flew on an old ASP .46, seemed underpowered on takeoffs but once in the air was a nice slow flyer for relaxing Sunday flys.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM
JohnBuckner

Jon if you are talking about a Senior Kadet Then yes I beleve Two 40FP's would fly it very nicely. No hot dog performer but certainly fun. I like the old FP's and far better than the LA's in a number of ways in my way of thinking.

If you mean the Senior Telemaster which is a bit bigger and a bit heavier, then the 40FP's Would perhaps struggle a bit.

As far as a triple goes' sure go for it if you like on either airplane. Just remember its not really neccessary to have matched engines for a triple although I do prefer them matched. By that I mean the center engine does not really need to be the same brand, model or displacement.

I prefer to pick engines for multi's that idle well for extended periods and have excellent throttle response.

Scott definately go ahead and try running the MDS on a stand or a cutout board like GB said its worth a try.

Zero nitro fuel is not real common in US LHS's but is a lot cheaper when you do find it. I had the same problem when I bought long ago an ASP 108 from the defunct World engines I think. It was a high compression type intended for zero or FAI fuel also. The solution in my case was to use two head gaskets then using I think 10%.

John
Old 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Go Fast here are a couple of shots of our first glider tug, a Senior Telemaster with a Magnum 91FS it was a reliable and stately tug for two meter stuff and my Oxy Moron (pictures) which is a Sig Seniorita that a serves as an aero tow trainer and a multi engine trainer.

John

Name:	Qo40417.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1792671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28998.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1792672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74751.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1792673  
Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

Ive got some fuel I mixed up thats a 5% blend that I made for the super tiger 3000, im not real sure exactly how I made it while just sitting here but I can go out to the shop and look at what I wrote on the bottle, I knew I would forget the mix make up so I just wrote it on the jug. Id like to at least try the the engine but dont want a head ache to deal with either. The saito .65 and the mds .68 are the only two engines I have on hand that will power this plane with out going and buying a new one.
My .68 ran pretty good right out of the box and I have always used 15%. FAI is just 80% Methanol alcohol and 20% Castor Oil, do the math and toss in some nitro and you have it mixed. The MDS is a high compression engine and runs well on FAI. It was our American thinking that helped give the MDS a bad rap. The castings really were a problem but I never had a problem with the .68, only the .58. Stick it in a stand and see how yours runs, it either will or it won't, there isn't a lot of gray area. When the MDS ran they were stronger then most other engines, just make sure you break it in really well before you install it in the Master and don't use anything more then the 5%. The Master is like a cub, not very good for breaking in an engine, the engines don't work very hard in this plane!! The plane is really one of the best planes ever designed for just kicked back flying. The hardest thing with one is getting it to come down, every surface on it is an airfoil and they just love to float around.