Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

will this reciever work?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

will this reciever work?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM
cole8605

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will this reciever work?

I have an airtronics vg6000 and a jr r700 reciever. They came out of a storage unit my brother in law bought. The reciever was already in the airplane so i figured they would work together, but I've tried and cant get them to work. Do I need to buy another reciever?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: will this reciever work?

They should work , is the TX and RX on the same frequency
Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends. You need to check a few things...Do both bits have crystals fitted? Are they both the same channel (frequency)? Are they both speaking the same language (AM, FM PCM)? And that will depend on what the Rx is, and whether the Tx can be changed, if needed. Then you still need to ascertain that the language the Tx uses can be understood by the Rx, given that they are different brands, and may use differing logic languages. First up though, make sure that the batteries are working, and that the tx is radiating a signal...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Logic languages? Where'd you get that from?

Both of these products are FM and both are positive shift, which means that they will work together. There is no programming or brand compatibility in FM equipment, only positive shift or negative shift, and PPM vs PCM. Your stuff will work if it's in good working order and are on the same channels.

Have you checked the batteries? Your transmitter should have an indicator that shows how much voltage it's getting, and a quick look with a meter will tell you if the Rx battery has enough juice for a communication test. Of course, all the batteries should be cycle tested before you fly with them. If that checks out, make sure the crystals are plugged in well and not corroded. If you suspect crash damage, the Rx crystal may be broken.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The JR R700 Rx's are a single conversion RX and they require a single conversion crystal to function so if you installed a Rx crystal from Airtronics or something laying around its not likely to work.

A JR single conversion crystal that is the same channel number as your Tx is whats required. Lots of folk always got hung up on this particular pitfall.

Working with some other modelers old electronics can come with a lot of pitfalls.

John
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just trying to keep it simple, 'logic language', instead of: 512 or 1024 PCM, positive or negative going, 1.2 or 1.5 ms neutral...you know, all the stuff thats been forgotten since 2.4 became common...Blimey, there are guys at the local club that have never known a single crystal, fixed frequency radio, and asking them about a peg board...I do remember that we recommended not to mix brands as what may work well at short ranges always seemed to cause problems when the model was a bit further away...but then we all remember that stuff, don't we?
Evan, WB #12.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 PM
cole8605

erm ... didnt mean to cause a fuss .... sorry im a total noob about all this. Never had a plane like this and it came out of a storage unit. The number on the controlercrystal says 24 and the number on the reciever crystal says 45 .... so to get this thing working I need to buy a single conversion crystal for the jr reciever that is numbered 24 right? Can i get this from a hobby shop?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 AM
carrellh

If the hobby shop does not have it, since many have stopped selling 72 mhz stuff, you can order one from Horizon
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...2-270-JRPXFR24
Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Cole you did not cause a fuss and its a legitimate question.

Yes you need to purchase a single conversion JR Rceiver crystal channel #24 and it may or may not be avalible at you LHS as carrellh noted but if not you can at his link.

Just one last warning though. Before you order a Rx crystal pull that #24 crystal out of the transmitter first and confirm that it is actually a Channel #24. Flyers often in the past switched crystals.

John