Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

DLE 30?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE 30?

Does anybody know about this engine,,,,,any good ,reliable etc.,, Im going to purchase Aerowerks new Bravada soon ,, I was just wondering if this engine is all what they say it is. Im just used to Zenoah,,but willing to switch the price is right.

Thx TAZZZZ
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: DLE 30?

They are good little engines.

Personally I'd put a bowman ring in it while its new but they run just fine.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
tazzzz

What do you mean by bowman ring
Old 09-02-2012, 01:01 PM
tazzzz

Sorry I goofed i pushed the wrong key,,,,what do you mean by bowman ring? Ive never heard of that.

TAZZZZ
Old 09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Frank Bowman makes rings that fit many of the over seas engines (well almost any model engine) that are much better than the originals, they break in faster and typically pickup a few to several hundred RPM

Frank Bowman
1211 N. Allen Ave
Farmington, NM 87401-3588

503-327-0696
[email protected]
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a some what stupid question. Would replacing the ring void the warranty?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ACE, Worth a call to Valley View or Tower. Who carries the warranty anyway?? When I worked in a small engine repair shop we sold chain saws that stated you must run a certain mix of oil or the warranty was void. I always wondered how the manufacture would know what mix or type of oil was used? We sure couldn't tell but we could tell a lean run.
TAZZ, there are pages and pages about the DLE engines in the gas engine forum if you just go look.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GB, that was a retorical responce. It will void the warranty if one does not get prior approval. If these engine's display the same charactoristic's as automive engine's they can tell by the coloration of the bearing's and other metal's. At least I could back when I worked in automotive engine's.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: acerc

GB, that was a retorical responce. It will void the warranty if one does not get prior approval. If these engine's display the same charactoristic's as automive engine's they can tell by the coloration of the bearing's and other metal's. At least I could back when I worked in automotive engine's.

go ahead and change to the Bowman ring. I picked up 400-500 rpm over the stock ring. it looks just like the stock ring. There is no way the people repairing the engine will know its a non factory ring.
Why send it in for repair anyway parts are way cheap for this engine anyway. It should last a good long time. as far as oil they would be able to tell you if you didnt have enough oil but they will not send the engine off to see if it had the correct oil. The engine is less than 180 dollar for tower. the cost to have it examined for proper oil type will cost more than it would be to replace the whole engine.

Change the Ring oh and by the way clip the the throttle spring it will reduce your servo load so you can run a smaller servo.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:51 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

They may not notice it if it went in for warranty. We did other type of engines back in the day and we would inspect the cylinder head bolts and if they were removed the warranty was void. Even if carb safety plugs were removed, no warranty. Improper oil mix, no warranty, etc.

Some engine manufacturers would even put a small rubber plug on certain head bolts so that if they were removed it would be easy to tell and no warranty would follow

Folks would burn the engine up with lean mixtures and then put oil mix back in the engine before they brought it in to us and would act like we could not figure that out? That was one of the easy ones to diagnose.

In some cases even with the engine changed by the user we did still manage to warranty many engines but sometimes we simply could not. Our suppliers were wise to most tricks of the trade. Adding a different ring other than what comes with the engine voids the warranty. It is just like adding a high performance part to a car engine, goodbye warranty.

With the above I am not advocating not to change it out to a Bowman ring. If Bowman rings give good increase in power and add engine life, go for it. These are not expensive engines so nothing much to lose even if you don't have warranty.