Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos

Hate to ask but here goes anyway. First RCbuild and it is a Stick 60 from Texasrc. The aileron servos fit into the wing being mounted on a cover that screws to the wing itself, if you can follow that. Therefore upside down whinle working on install. My question is does it matter if the horn is at the top when installed or bottom? I would say on the bottom closser to the aileron. Futubas are being used. I have searched and cannot seem to satisfy myself. No I have not hooked up the radio to witness the movement, guess that is next. The plans are real sketchy and hard for a novice. Anyway I am assumeing the throw arms , horns, towards the control surface with the lettering to the top. Ok going to stop here and see what you say. Thanks. gphil

Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM
mustangman177

Default RE: Servos

do you have a pic ? What I gather you're asking is if a servo can be installed upside down ? Do it on some applications, Servos don't mind setting on their heads.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gphil,

That's a pretty standard aileron installation for ARFs and the aileron control arm should stick out the bottom of the wing. If I understand your question correctly, the answer is it depends (and really doesn't matter much). Orienting the servo so that the arm is further towards the rear of the plane results in a slightly shorter (and therefore more rigid) control rod installation, a good thing. However, before attaching the servo to the cover, move the arm through its full range of motion (+/- 60 degrees or so) and make sure the slot in the cover is long enough so that arm does not hit it. If so, you can either turn the servo over so the arm is further toward the front of the plane or possibly lenghten the slot so that there is no interference.

Tony
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: gphil
Therefore upside down whinle working on install. My question is does it matter if the horn is at the top when installed or bottom? I would say on the bottom closser to the aileron.
[:-] The wing is upside down, the cavity for the servo is opened to the bottom surface of the wing (now facing up),............then I got lost with the bottom/top part.

Would you mind to elaborate?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM
gphil

Not so much the upside down etc.   just does it matter which end the control rod comes off of?  The Futaba 3004 , I think ,   has the logo on one end and the motor shaft on the other.  Other than the motion coming from one side versus the other does it matter.  ?  Do you get the same degrees from both sides or what.   This is making me look real stupid but I just hate to epoxy the littlle blocks the servo mounts on just to have it wrong side.  May just hook the radio up and see for myself prio ...... probably a better idea anyway,  Just hard to explain.  gphil
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM
gphil

built a Stick befor huh Tony
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 PM
huck1199

I think you want to know if you should mount the servos with the output shafts near or far relative to the ailerons. Is this correct? I mount them closer to reduce control rod length. The horns should be mounted as close to perpendicular as possible - and both should be match for position so that if you use a "y" harness they will operated properly..
Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: gphil
The Futaba 3004 , I think , has the logo on one end and the motor shaft on the other. Other than the motion coming from one side versus the other does it matter. ? Do you get the same degrees from both sides or what.
Yes, for both and aileron's servos:
-The shaft goes closer to the aileron, the logo goes farther from the aileron.
-The rod or linkage is hooked on the wheel or star (of the shaft) on the side closer to the fuselage.
-You get the same angle on both sides, either via a Y-connector or radio.
-Both rotate in the same direction at the same time.

Check these links:

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aeros...oY-harness.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aeros...rvoLayouts.htm

Some people prefer installing them sideways, so the arm sticks out through a slot of the cover.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 AM
gphil

All doubts in mind have been satisfied.  Thanks fellas a whole lot.   My thinking was along those lines but just needed backup and as ussual ,  got it.   Best place in the world for getting questions answered.     Once more thanks,   g;phil