Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Servo flutter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo flutter

I am finishing setting up my Great Planes Cherokee and now I have some flutter in the ailerons. When I move the ailerons and move them back to neutral position sometimes one or both will flutter alittle for 1-10 seconds the stop. I dont know what is causing it. I have an extension plugged into the reciever so I can easily remove the wing. Let me know what your thoughts are thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Servo flutter

If it is an Fm radio, could be a bad crystal in the reciever, happend to me once and thats what it was. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm betting dual aileron servos plugged into a Y connector.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
devil505

yes I have duel servos plugged into a y cable and the an extension into the reciever. Could the extension have a problem?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM
speedracerntrixie

Yes, it could be the issue. If you have a TX that has mixing for dual aileron servos then use that option. Not only could it fix the current issue but setting it up correctly will make the airplane fly better.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unplug and then reseat all of the connections from the receiver to the servos a couple of times. That may fix the problem. If it does, you may have to do that again after a while-dirty/faulty connections. Happens to me on a couple of different planes from time to time. Turn on the xmitter and plane, then check aileron response before securing the wing to the fuselage each time you go the field to fly. Using two channels and mixing makes it a bit more complicated to trim the ailerons.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: golf4two

Unplug and then reseat all of the connections from the receiver to the servos a couple of times. That may fix the problem. If it does, you may have to do that again after a while-dirty/faulty connections. Happens to me on a couple of different planes from time to time. Turn on the xmitter and plane, then check aileron response before securing the wing to the fuselage each time you go the field to fly. Using two channels and mixing makes it a bit more complicated to trim the ailerons.

How does using a mix make it more complicated to trim the ailerons? It's all done at the TX and is a 5 min job.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I would like to know how using using seperate channels makes trimming harder. Doesn't having a bigger radio make things like this easier?? Just wondering?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Technically it's not flutter, flutter happens while the plane is in flight.Just being a wise guy. But I have has the same problem and traced it to a bad y. You could do as suggested an hook it up to seperate channels but you will have to label them left and right or you will be backwards if you plug them in wrong.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Technically it's not flutter, flutter happens while the plane is in flight.[img][/img] Just being a wise guy. But I have has the same problem and traced it to a bad y. You could do as suggested an hook it up to seperate channels but you will have to label them left and right or you will be backwards if you plug them in wrong.
Happens all the time too. I started using a dot of gold paint on the right lead that comes off the RX, that works fine.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Could be a bad servo, reciever... just swap channel 1 and 4 and see what's fluttering now.
If it's still the ailerons, plug in one servo at a time, without the y cable.
Then you got it pretty much nailed down to a bad cable
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

And using separate channels is also a good idea, not always necessary though.
On a computer radio it's very easy to do, takes a minute and the trim works exactly the same.

Most of my planes do a nice straight roll, but some don't - this is where you want separate channels and program some differential.
I use a Futaba 8FG and once you get familiar with the menus, it's very easy to program.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

And using separate channels is also a good idea, not always necessary though.
On a computer radio it's very easy to do, takes a minute and the trim works exactly the same.

Most of my planes do a nice straight roll, but some don't - this is where you want separate channels and program some differential.
I use a Futaba 8FG and once you get familiar with the menus, it's very easy to program.

Agreed, I use the old 9-C and it only takes a couple of clicks to go aileron diff. and set up. That's why we went to computer radios for, ease of operation and none of the old school items like Ys. They make life easier.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 AM
devil505

I took everyones advice and set the plane up for aileron mixing. It appears the problem was in the Y cable. I also swapped out the crystal I the crystal. No problems now except for having 3 servos I have to plug in on the wing. I used colored page tabs to label the ends so they are easy to connect.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: devil505

I took everyones advice and set the plane up for aileron mixing. It appears the problem was in the Y cable. I also swapped out the crystal I the crystal. No problems now except for having 3 servos I have to plug in on the wing. I used colored page tabs to label the ends so they are easy to connect.
Did you break out a sweat with all that hard work??? The only servo leads I use are two {usually} short ones I leave in my RX for the ailerons so I'm not plugging in and out my aileron leads into the RX. The leads can also cause problems so I just cut and splice extension wire into my servos requiring an extension. By soldering in the extensions I never have a lead corrision problem. I'm really lazy and don't want to be pulling leads and cleaning them. Takes me a while to solder in the extensions but once done I can forget about them.
Glad that solved your problem. Pointing out the Y is easy, they tend to cause problems like that very often.