Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Info on 2.4 radio systems

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Info on 2.4 radio systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 PM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on 2.4 radio systems

I am interested in learning more about 2.4 setups but not to sure what everything means. If someone could provide me a link or info on a good general explination I would be greatful, thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Info on 2.4 radio systems

Everything?

Here's a tiny bite of a BIG buffett

http://www.futaba-rc.com/technology/fasst.html
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There are guys who like to analyze things to death and get all techy about it, but there really isn't much that the end user needs to know.

1. For practical purposes, radios cannot interfere with each other or be interferred with by any external source. The 2.4ghz signal is coded so the receiver only accepts inputs from the transmitter it's bound to.
2. Brands are not compatible. Yes, they all use a similar technology, but they code their signal differently so one brand can't talk to another. There is little evidence (I'd say none that is credible) to show that one brand's style of producing the signal is better than another's. Build quality is a different matter though.
3. 2.4ghz is more durable than 72mhz. Without crystals and tuning pots, there are fewer fragile components to be damaged by temperature swings and shock.
4. 2.4ghz is easier to block than 72mhz. Your radio needs line of sight to your plane always, whereas 72mhz could go around trees and through light barriers and such. This isn't really a concern for most of us.
5. 2.4ghz is more voltage sensitive than 72mhz. In particular Spektrum equipment will reboot at 4 volts, leaving your without control for about a second (assuming that the voltage drop was just a blip). Others are more forgiving but still cannot go beneath their threshold without having to restart themselves.
6. There are basically 4 brands that produce known good quality radios that use the 2.4ghz technology (notice how I worded that): Spektrum/JR, Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics. All have a good reputation in the hobby and stand behind their products. An honorable mention goes to Tactic, who seems to be gaining a following.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a user there isn't a lot of difference between 72 and 2.4 except you can't interfere with each others signal or shoot anyone down. You just bind the RX with the TX and set up your radio the same old way.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 357 Likes on 287 Posts

If you're really into to technical details go here http://www.radiocarbonart.com/ and get his 2.4 radio clinic
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 AM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the main thing I am talking about is I am looking at the 6 channel radio and some say FHSS system or FASST. Is one for airplanes or not, does it really matter which one you have. Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
It's only two different manufacturers transmitting systems (originally Spektrum/JR and Futaba).
Both radio systems work equally well.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:57 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, don't worry at all about the terms the different manufacturers use. It's all just a fancy word for the 2.4ghz signal. FWIW, "FASST" means "Futaba Advanced Spread Spektrum Technology" and "FHSS" means "Frequency Hopping Spread Spektrum."

Oh, and "FWIW" means "For What It's Worth."
Old 09-29-2012, 04:06 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 357 Likes on 287 Posts

The correct answer is:
FHSS and FAAST are two different implementations by Futaba.
FHSS is less expensive to implement and its available on their less expensive systems.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/technology/fhss.html

FAAST is a little more robust but a little more expensive and comes on their higher end radios.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/technology/fasst.html