Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

control rods

Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control rods

Looking at the control rods on my 60 Stick, I noted that the control rods had the usual adjustment threads on one end but on the end that goes into the servo, just the two 90 degree bends. The Avastar trainer has little safety clips etc. Are the plastic clips a good thing, necessary etc? Don't really see how a wire could come out of the hole. The rods are 1.4x450mm, would not know where to look for them. No close hobby shop here. gphil
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: control rods

Z bends are common, the threaded end gives you an adjustment point that is accessable w/o digging around in the fueslage.

Clips are nice but plenty of people run Z bends w/o them.

Dubro has a host of pushrods in different sizes, threaded on one or both ends etc.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YES !!! The clips are needed if you only have the 90 deg bend . Believe me the wire will slip out. If you use a Z bend you don't need the clips. DuBro has the clips, you can get them from Tower if you don't have a shop close by . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As noted Z bends are great and one of my favorites how ever ninety degree bends at the bottom of my list and I always avoid them. The trouble with those are it forces you to position the push rod far out on the servo horn or they are guaranteed to bind at full control actually forcing the rod into a bend.

Now if you think about it for trainers and new folks this is exactly where its best to start out closest in at the servo (or middle hole) and furthest out at the surface but ya can't do it at the servo because of that hugh plastic 'Wart' on the servo arm.

John
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

As noted Z bends are great and one of my favorites how ever ninety degree bends at the bottom of my list and I always avoid them. The trouble with those are it forces you to position the push rod far out on the servo horn or they are guaranteed to bind at full control actually forcing the rod into a bend.
Iagree with John. A good Z bend is an excellent attachment method. The L and Nylon clip combois OK, andEZ Connectors are, IMHO, to be avoided. Ijist bought a G-44 Widgeon ARFthat has Z on the control surfaces and relies on EZ Connectors at the servos. Iam seriously considering Z bends at both ends, relying on computer trimsand just snipping the music wire if it ever needs replacing.