Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AIL/RUD mixing

What is the purpose of Aileron/Rudder mixing? Is there supposed to be a large performance difference? I was experimenting with my 65" trainer but didn't see a whole lot of change in the turn. I was listening to someone else talk utilizing the mixing feature on their radio for more "scale looking turns" but is that only reason? Do larger planes warrant this? It also seems to me like the plane would attempt to roll on take off if the direction of the plane needed to be changed on the runway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AIL/RUD mixing

The purpose is to make flat turns. The rudder moves when the ailerons are commanded to move not visa-versa. Rudder control does not move the ailerons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ahh thank you, that makes more sense to me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aileron/rudder mix is used to assist the pilot making a balanced turn. Some, (many) airplanes suffer, more or less, from a yaw opposite to the direction of applied aileron, so that in a turn the model tries to yaw left, when rolling right (for example). The cure, so that the fuselage lines up nicely in the turn, is to use a bit of rudder in the direction of the turn. This is not for making a 'flat turn'. If you really want to see the effect then you should go for a trip at you local GA airfield, and watch the 'Turn and Bank' instrument, get the instructor to demonstrate a balanced and unbalanced turn. Then you can feel the effect as well. This 'aileron induced yaw' varies from airplane to airplane, many models don't have any effect, some, like my poor Monocoupe suffer to such a degree that trying to turn with ailerons only results in the model rolling (say) left, yawing right and continuing in a straight line. Such models need aileron/rudder mix, and as we don't tend to fly inside our creations, it is much easier to couple the controls electronically. As previously stated, the rudder is coupled to aileron, so that moving the aileron stick moves both, but moving rudder only has no effect on the aileron. I use this mix for all my 'old' scale models, but my aerobatic models have no such use for the mix, exception being my 'Blue Angel' which also has a swept wing and needs just a smidgeon, possibly because of that.
    Evan, WB #12.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, great explaination! I have never experienced that yaw effect while flying. Are these larger airplanes that you have experienced that with or does the size of the aircraft make little difference?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use it on my IMAC planes to stay in a straight line in wind etc. You can use rudder and the plane won't bank left or right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like girls... all planes are different... most scale models need rudder... the sport and especially trainer planes are designed for easy flying so aileron / elevator works fines. Making a nice turn in a cub, etc or many older bipes needs rudder to groove the turn and for many aerobatics.. hammerheads, snap rolls, side slpping.. crabbing, etc..
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is another reason to set up this mix.

Some people have problems using the rudder on take off to keep the plane on line because their left thumb is not yet trained.

Mix the rudder with aileron and you can use the educated right thumb to steer on the ground on takeoff.

I have set this up for several learners and seen improvements.

But it is on things like 1/3 scale Tiger Moths that you really see the difference when you use both in turns.
    The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a noob, the size of the airplane makes little difference, if a scale model, then it will likely show very similar characteristics to the full size. If the big one is bad, so will be the model. And yes, they are all different. Flight testing is the only way to find out what will happen.
    Evan, WB #12.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

There is another reason to set up this mix.

Some people have problems using the rudder on take off to keep the plane on line because their left thumb is not yet trained.

Mix the rudder with aileron and you can use the educated right thumb to steer on the ground on takeoff.

I have set this up for several learners and seen improvements.

But it is on things like 1/3 scale Tiger Moths that you really see the difference when you use both in turns.
    Dont forget landing also.
    Bill.
    It is always better to be under the gun, than in front of it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Isn't the correct term "coordinated"?

Kurt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Isn't the correct term "coordinated"?

Kurt
    That'e the correct term when the pilot is coordinating the control inputs. The electronic mixing version is for those who choose not to do it themselves. Then, it's called electronic mixing. Saves the pilot all that trouble and bother.

Sometimes, things are exactly as they appear to be.