Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

AIL/RUD mixing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 PM
KnifeEdge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIL/RUD mixing

What is the purpose of Aileron/Rudder mixing? Is there supposed to be a large performance difference? I was experimenting with my 65" trainer but didn't see a whole lot of change in the turn. I was listening to someone else talk utilizing the mixing feature on their radio for more "scale looking turns" but is that only reason? Do larger planes warrant this? It also seems to me like the plane would attempt to roll on take off if the direction of the plane needed to be changed on the runway.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
huck1199

Default RE: AIL/RUD mixing

The purpose is to make flat turns. The rudder moves when the ailerons are commanded to move not visa-versa. Rudder control does not move the ailerons.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
KnifeEdge540

Ahh thank you, that makes more sense to me
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aileron/rudder mix is used to assist the pilot making a balanced turn. Some, (many) airplanes suffer, more or less, from a yaw opposite to the direction of applied aileron, so that in a turn the model tries to yaw left, when rolling right (for example). The cure, so that the fuselage lines up nicely in the turn, is to use a bit of rudder in the direction of the turn. This is not for making a 'flat turn'. If you really want to see the effect then you should go for a trip at you local GA airfield, and watch the 'Turn and Bank' instrument, get the instructor to demonstrate a balanced and unbalanced turn. Then you can feel the effect as well. This 'aileron induced yaw' varies from airplane to airplane, many models don't have any effect, some, like my poor Monocoupe suffer to such a degree that trying to turn with ailerons only results in the model rolling (say) left, yawing right and continuing in a straight line. Such models need aileron/rudder mix, and as we don't tend to fly inside our creations, it is much easier to couple the controls electronically. As previously stated, the rudder is coupled to aileron, so that moving the aileron stick moves both, but moving rudder only has no effect on the aileron. I use this mix for all my 'old' scale models, but my aerobatic models have no such use for the mix, exception being my 'Blue Angel' which also has a swept wing and needs just a smidgeon, possibly because of that.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM
KnifeEdge540

Wow, great explaination! I have never experienced that yaw effect while flying. Are these larger airplanes that you have experienced that with or does the size of the aircraft make little difference?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 AM
telejojo

I use it on my IMAC planes to stay in a straight line in wind etc. You can use rudder and the plane won't bank left or right.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:46 AM
KitBuilder

Like girls... all planes are different... most scale models need rudder... the sport and especially trainer planes are designed for easy flying so aileron / elevator works fines. Making a nice turn in a cub, etc or many older bipes needs rudder to groove the turn and for many aerobatics.. hammerheads, snap rolls, side slpping.. crabbing, etc..
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

There is another reason to set up this mix.

Some people have problems using the rudder on take off to keep the plane on line because their left thumb is not yet trained.

Mix the rudder with aileron and you can use the educated right thumb to steer on the ground on takeoff.

I have set this up for several learners and seen improvements.

But it is on things like 1/3 scale Tiger Moths that you really see the difference when you use both in turns.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM
pimmnz

Just a noob, the size of the airplane makes little difference, if a scale model, then it will likely show very similar characteristics to the full size. If the big one is bad, so will be the model. And yes, they are all different. Flight testing is the only way to find out what will happen.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

There is another reason to set up this mix.

Some people have problems using the rudder on take off to keep the plane on line because their left thumb is not yet trained.

Mix the rudder with aileron and you can use the educated right thumb to steer on the ground on takeoff.

I have set this up for several learners and seen improvements.

But it is on things like 1/3 scale Tiger Moths that you really see the difference when you use both in turns.
Dont forget landing also.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the correct term "coordinated"?

Kurt
Old 10-16-2012, 06:43 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Isn't the correct term "coordinated"?

Kurt
That'e the correct term when the pilot is coordinating the control inputs. The electronic mixing version is for those who choose not to do it themselves. Then, it's called electronic mixing. Saves the pilot all that trouble and bother.