Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Humidity and airplane storage

There's a room under our front steps that would be perfect for airplane storage, except that it's more damp than the rest of the house. I checked the humidity last night - 53%.

How much humidity is too much for storage?
    MAAC 83386
    Stetson Flyers, Ottawa
    G-RSBK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Humidity and airplane storage

I don't know what it should be. But take a reading in your basement and see what it is there. 53sounds to beway to much. I build and store my planes in my basement. But I also have a dehumidifier running all the time. I think if I didn't the moisture/humidity level would be to much. I still get the little bit of rust on the landing gear and clevis. I make sure I put after run oil in every time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I store my planes in the basement. The humidity there varies between 40% and 60% and I have never had a problem. Some of my planes are 30+ years old and hold up fine.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It might be a moot point - I checked on Saturday and the humidity had risen to 81%. In any case my in-laws can lend us a humidifier so we can run a test - if the humidity can be controlled it might be worth it.
    MAAC 83386
    Stetson Flyers, Ottawa
    G-RSBK

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a plane in a crawl space for 30 years that I forgot about.  The stab was warped a bit because it was resting on it, and the aluminum parts turned to powder.  It was full of mildew and pretty black.  I also bought a $50 Seamaster that was in a hot dry attic with blistered paint and a pretzel wing, so I guess the damp basement was better.  Make sure there are no forces on to tweak the airframe, and you should be ok.  The humidity here is about 80%  on one humidistat and 60% on the other.
    Glow Head Hood # 7

Here in SE Texas-we stay at about 90-100% humidity nine months of the year and then we drop sometimes between 50-80 percent. AC helps but we are humid and we store planes without problems
    \"IF YOU HAVE TOO MANY AIRPLANES -FLY BOLDLY AND REDUCE YOUR NUMBER\"