Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Humidity and airplane storage

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Humidity and airplane storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Humidity and airplane storage

There's a room under our front steps that would be perfect for airplane storage, except that it's more damp than the rest of the house. I checked the humidity last night - 53%.

How much humidity is too much for storage?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
klord125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Humidity and airplane storage

I don't know what it should be. But take a reading in your basement and see what it is there. 53sounds to beway to much. I build and store my planes in my basement. But I also have a dehumidifier running all the time. I think if I didn't the moisture/humidity level would be to much. I still get the little bit of rust on the landing gear and clevis. I make sure I put after run oil in every time.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store my planes in the basement. The humidity there varies between 40% and 60% and I have never had a problem. Some of my planes are 30+ years old and hold up fine.

Bruce
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be a moot point - I checked on Saturday and the humidity had risen to 81%. In any case my in-laws can lend us a humidifier so we can run a test - if the humidity can be controlled it might be worth it.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a plane in a crawl space for 30 years that I forgot about.  The stab was warped a bit because it was resting on it, and the aluminum parts turned to powder.  It was full of mildew and pretty black.  I also bought a $50 Seamaster that was in a hot dry attic with blistered paint and a pretzel wing, so I guess the damp basement was better.  Make sure there are no forces on to tweak the airframe, and you should be ok.  The humidity here is about 80%  on one humidistat and 60% on the other.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in SE Texas-we stay at about 90-100% humidity nine months of the year and then we drop sometimes between 50-80 percent. AC helps but we are humid and we store planes without problems