Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hayes Tank Question

I have a some Questions regarding the Hayes tanks I know they are gasoline compatable but is the black fuel line gas proof or would I be better to replace it with Tygon...I am betting John Buckner will have the answers to these ones ...I am thinking it must be gas proof otherwize what would be the reason for it to be in with the tanks instead of silicone tubing....I have seen stuff like it in weed eater gas tanks..I think....But is it better than Tygon ? Also is it better than silicone or would it be better to use silicone in a glow aplication? So what is better for gas Black or Tygon ? And what is better for glow Black or Silicone? Thanks for your help...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hayes Tank Question

The black line is neoprene, and it is fine for gas. It can get brittle over a long time span. It can handle glow fuel too. The hayes tanks are terrific and very easy to service, compared to those that use the dubro type stoppers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi bikerbc I have two fiftie size gassers and both are using the Hayes tanks with no issues to date the first of the two has been flying about two years now.

As DrYankum indicated the internal pickup line on Hayes is neoprene and it seems to work well inside the tank and using gasolene. I have some vintage sparkers on display running stands where I have used neoprene for the external lines and that has proven to not be as durable as tygon and tended to crack while at the same time the tank internal clunk lines did not.

I have also used the neoprene on a fuel pump and can and this to did tend to crack.

Apparently for whatever reason the internal clunk lines are far more durable than when used for external lines with gasolene. So I do use the standard hayes internal line and for external and fuel cans I use tygon.

I have been flying lately a forty year old giant Buccineer that I only slightly refurbished, it has a 22 cc gasser and the old tank finally gave up the ghost so I replaced it with a 16 ounce Hayes. Used of course the stock neoprene clunk line.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj23494.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	1815850  
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks John and Doc...Thats what I wanted to know....I will go ahead and install my tanks....I am actually working on two...One is my BUSA 1/4 Cub with a Gemini Twin and the other is a Scratch built 8 ft Spitfire with a DLE 30 in it....My but this is a big wing...The Root Cord is as big as the cord on my 1/3 Cubs....Maybe even bigger....You guys are awsome help...Thanks again.. John You have the coolest planes....I think your flying style must be somthing like mine...I enjoy the older slower flying scale planes.... Do you do all your own building? The only reason I am building the Spit is because there is 4 of us building them....We just finished building 10 LT40s that we up sized 10%......We Built floats for them to.....What great flying planes they are....Our little club hosts western Canadas biggest Annual float fly every fall so these LT 40's really work out well..We have big barn door style ailerons and Flaps..The Flaps are fun to play with...You can drop outa the sky and use almost no runway or takeoff in about 10 ft.
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, I try to do an eclectic variety of air aircraft, pylon racers, cross country, night flyers, water birds, old timers a bit of scale and every now and then a modern aerobat just for giggles. I am constantly building from the three disciplines but also have many arfs and another catagory I find very rewarding is the ageless modelers art of kit bashing and it does not matter much what you started out with.

I agree with you the Kadet series are/were the greatest ever and I am definately intregued by your enlarged LT-40s, What a great idea.

I have a Senior on the table from some of the guys wreakage that will be a float plane. Ya I know everyones done that but this has a small twist. It will be a long 46'' single float with wing tip balance floats, agine just for giggles, will probalbly use my trademark 1930's airline forward rake and faceted windshield.

The current project is an attempt this coming saturday to fly via boat on the Colorado river from laughlin Nevada to the London Bridge float fly in lake Havasu Az. For this I am using a heavily bashed Bridi SunFly three early pattern airplane on floats carrying two and half hours fuel. Its about fifty miles as the river flows.

I am seriously interested in how your enlarged LT-40's work out so please post how things work out with those.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I replaced one of my fuel tanks with the Hayes, the engine is a YS so the tank is pumped up to about 7 pounds every flight. Two or three years later the bung is still holding well. The Hayes is now my go to tank on any plane I plan on using the two line system.
    I was told the black line is used for both gas and smoke oil and as John mentioned, it doesn't seem to harden or split when inside the tank, maybe it's the UV rays or something that makes the outside lines split??? Smog in the air?? Anywsay, it doesn't require new tank line every year like Tygon.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Viton is the best tank clunk line for gas
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director